Wanting PD160 Air Intake Kit

If you don't mind me asking why do you need one? The air coming trough on the factory set up and air filter is about 40% MORE that what is needed for the engine. This is a proven well known fact.

Edited by Padrino

If you don't mind me asking why do you need one? The air coming trough on the factory set up and air filter is about 40% MORE that what is needed for the engine. This is a proven well known fact.

is it?

Yes it is. You'll get the same airflow into the airbox, with the smaller intake it'll be a smaller amount flowing at a higher pressure and vice versa with the PD160 intake. I doubt net airflow will be affected significantly. One other important thing people don't think about it is the fact that MAF is playing vital role on the air flow into the manifold. If you just change the Air Intake from PD160 you will gain nothing at all. If this was as easy as that no one would pay £400+ for a good remap. If you would like to see benefits you need the "whole nine yards", Proper tune, adjusted EGR valve values, alerted MAF sensor. Replacing only the pipe is waste of money.

You should know better than anyone. With all the mods on your car it does matter, but just to replace the piping doesn't do anything

Edited by Padrino

All std.diesels are supplied with air filters which can pass much more air (oxygen) than is needed by the engine . If the filter air capacity was not enough then there would be unburnt fuel which would give a very smoky exhaust . Unburnt fuel/smoky exhaust would lead to an instant MOT failure and the emission levels and fuel consumption would be much higher.

Some diesels have been tuned to supply significantly more fuel than the standard engine to increase power, but if the remapping has been done correcly then the turbocharger/air cooler control /capacity should have been increased to match the desired increased fuelling. A lot of remap engines use the std air filter without any problems such is the extra air capacity of the std. filter.

Any "performance" filter should not intake the air directly under the bonnet as the warmer air will be less dense than the std air filter which has ducting to take the air from the cooler outside ambient air.

Oiled filters should not be used as the oil will coat the MAF sensor wire and cause problems with the MAF sensor output.

I do agree, however in my situation I think the pd160 intake is helping - 220bhp running through standard paper filter and airbox. Who knows! I didn't pay the extortionate price they fetch nowadays :)

Standard its not worth the effort. When running a map and it cost £40 it was a no brainer, but now at £100 its prob not worth it. If your running 200bhp + then it`d say even at the cost now its worth it. Having said that, theres nothing stopping you from making your own up, not particularly difficult.

These are like gold dust. They go for silly money now. £100 new and i've seen £90 on fleabay!!!

I'm a kind hearted soul so I'll sell you one cheaper than that. How does £89 posted sound? :D

Yes it is. You'll get the same airflow into the airbox, with the smaller intake it'll be a smaller amount flowing at a higher pressure and vice versa with the PD160 intake. I doubt net airflow will be affected significantly. One other important thing people don't think about it is the fact that MAF is playing vital role on the air flow into the manifold. If you just change the Air Intake from PD160 you will gain nothing at all. If this was as easy as that no one would pay £400+ for a good remap. If you would like to see benefits you need the "whole nine yards", Proper tune, adjusted EGR valve values, alerted MAF sensor. Replacing only the pipe is waste of money.

You should know better than anyone. With all the mods on your car it does matter, but just to replace the piping doesn't do anything

Which asks the question.

Why did seat fit it ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Which asks the question.

Why did seat fit it ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

For a start....Seat engine is 118 kilowatts @3750 RPM vs Fabia VRS 96 kilowatts@4000 RPM, at the same time Seat pulls 243 ft-lb VS Fabia 229 ft-lb, Even you should be able to figure by now why they are using different piping. The Seat engine as a whole is set up differently not to mention that the PD160 turbo has tapped shaft which help it spool slightly quicker.

Now, please don't tell me that just by replacing the plastic piping you will gain 30BHP and 14lb-ft.....

As I've mention above and many more have confirmed if you don't do everything else: remap, EGR, MAF etc the change is useless.

Fabia VRS share its engine with many more cars of VAG however even the very same engine is tuned differently for different cars.

The AWX engine used in the Superb for example produces 130BHP but only 210 ft-lb vs ASZ or BLT coded engines on Fabia giving you 229 ft-lb.