vrs 2.0 tsi - mpg on tesco momentum

very happy with the mpg on this, driving steady town driving, 12 miles per day, 4 trips of 3 miles each way, getting 30mpg, and sprited driving from Norfolk to Derbyshire, passing others at every oppurtunity (safely of course), got 41mpg.

Had to put "normal" tesco unleaded other week when the supposed strike was on and lost 5mpg in the one tank full.

getting between 350 and 450 miles on a tank.

59plate 18000k miles, fsh,

from what i've read this car needs min 98 ron to perform at it's best and ONLY 2 "super unleaded" fuels meet this, Tesco 99 and Vpower both 99Ron, even BP have dropped there 102 ron fuel and Ultimate is back at 97 ron, so unless on Shell it is the only other fuel too use.

• Like 1

After my previous 5 cars being diesel I got fed up of the limitations and realised I don't really care about mpg tbh as my mileage doesnt really justify it either. I wanted a better driving experience and more pleasurable so I reverted to petrol turbo power, unfortunately I still have a family so needed practicality as well so chose the Vrs Tsi.

The car running on Tesco 99 is just so much smoother and it is really noticeable when sitting idling as the revs never move, on normal fuel you can feel slight rev changes. I cannot really comment on the mpg day to day as I never watch it, however on 2x400 mile journeys on different days I did. One journey was on tesco 99 the other on Bp normal unleaded set the cruise control at 70mph on the GPS. The difference was an extra 40 miles on the 99, this is minimal and obviously other factors over the 400nm could have affected it possibly.

I also tried She'll V Power and didn't notice any difference over the Momentum unlike the change to 95Ron fuel.

see below. Even a gentle 70 mph run over 100 miles on Tuesday still only gave me a trip average of 32.5

I think only the TFSI runs better on 98 or more. I believe the TSI is equally happy on 95.

my fl 59 plate shows sticker on filler cap saying 95 min, 98 recommeded, was a noticed difference on 95 too, not as smooth, the trip back yesterday was alot of driving between 50 and 80 mph, never using cruise, and a few overtakes, dropping down from 6th too 4th, so a good test to see it had done 40 plus mpg, a 200bhp petrol turbo, think that good.

@ OP, can you confirm which engine you have? The title mentions Tsi, but in your signature you have a Tfsi.

I also only ever use Momentum, partly for convenience and for the club card points. ;)

Given your rather low MPG, I'd respectfully suggest your recommendation may not be the most useful in terms of which fuel to use for economy...

32.5 mpg from a Tfsi with a stage 1 map is not bad at all, imho, and from what I can see, stever750 isn't suggesting everyone should rush out for Tesco fuel due to it's economy....................and lets face it, we don't buy these cars for economy, do we? :wonder:

Keith, I wasn't making any recommendation, though I get 2-3 better mpg with 98 Ron than 95. Plus it is the fuel octane recommended by Skoda for this engine (though not the tsi from what I recall)

Now i honestly don't know, how do i tell which engine ?

it says TSI on the plastic engine cover, but thought they all did that, it says TFSI on receipt for car,

it's reg Dec 2009, face lift model, engine number on v5 is CCZ 041406, OUTPUT 147kw. ??

HELP

Where is your dip stick front or side there wad another thread showing pictures of both. Believe train is front and tsi side

We have a tfsi and it most definitely doesnot like momentum. Twice had engine light whilst using that fuel. Now on a remap that needs 99 but went with std 95 as all that's available during the strike that did not happen.

Car ran okay but it was like the car had shackles especially at the top end.

Only use vpower.

I ran my TFSI on Tesco Momentum for 3 months over a mix of driving. MPG was exactly the same to the normal Tesco stuff over a 3 month period, 32.8 mpg. I can't say it drove any differently either.

I have a pre-FL VRS petrol, and pretty much confirm what OP says - better mpg and performance on 98+ octane, which is only Tesco momentum and Shell V-Power in the UK.

My cost per mile calculations prove that (in my car at least) it's cheaper to use Tesco momentum than 95 octane fuel - actually nearly 1p per mile. V-Power saving is more marginal, due to the higher premium that Shell charges over their 95 octane (8p/litre in my area), but it's still cheaper per mile.

(P.S I'm an anorak and keep a spreadsheet :blush: )

Edited by El Dingo

I have a pre-FL VRS petrol, and pretty much confirm what OP says - better mpg and performance on 98+ octane, which is only Tesco momentum and Shell V-Power in the UK.

My cost per mile calculations prove that (in my car at least) it's cheaper to use Tesco momentum than 95 octane fuel - actually nearly 1p per mile. V-Power saving is more marginal, due to the higher premium that Shell charges over their 95 octane (8p/litre in my area), but it's still cheaper per mile.

(P.S I'm an anorak and keep a spreadsheet :blush: )

The fuelly app does this all for you!

I've a TFSI.

Car is noticeably less pleasant to drive on supermarket 95RON, definite drop of a few mpg but I think that's down to a heavier foot to compensate for a more sluggish car.

Car runs fine with good mpg on Shell Eco 95RON.

I've only got a Tesco nearby so it always runs on Tesco 99RON unless they're out.

I thought the TSI was made to run on 95RON and only the TFSI preferred 98+

Edited by Aspman

Just done a brim to brim fill up with Momentum 24.6mpg average, running a Shark Stage 2........ :o

But every one of the those miles put a smile on my face! :rock:

I much prefer reading these kind of mpg threads. :clap:

• Like 1

so if i've got tsi am i wasting money on 99ron?, it seems to like it but might like non supermarket 95 ron ?

fuel filler says min 95 ron super leaded now when i look again, oops, sure it had said 98, am i just throwing money away ?

so if i've got tsi am i wasting money on 99ron?, it seems to like it but might like non supermarket 95 ron ?

fuel filler says min 95 ron super leaded now when i look again, oops, sure it had said 98, am i just throwing money away ?

No. The car will run better on the higher octane stuff and feel more responsive and eager.

Think about it you have a turbo charged 200BHP car.

Only 10 years ago that would have been a real performance car do Feed it the best octane petrol you can.

It revs cleaner to the red line and had more energy to use.

If you were an athlete you would not eat fast food would you.

• Like 1

I usually get 400-450miles from a tank running supermarket 95ron with stage 1 map on my tsi - thats with mixed driving mostly country roads and town. Think driving style makes a bigger difference to economy than what type of fuel is used. Tried shell fuel saver and I don't achieve any better economy!!