Monte Carlo 1.6 diesel 105 bhp

I'm likely to be buying one of these very soon would people recommend one? For me I love the way it looks and gives it the sporty look with good power ( compared to a 51 plate Ka !) but without the insurance costs of the vrs due to being 19.

How much driving do you do? If you don't do a fair bit of mileage, and don't do much motorway driving, I wouldn't get a diesel. The DPF will give you problems unless you do motorway driving, and if you don't do much mileage, you'll be better off with a petrol

I do a fair bit on dual carriage way to and from work at a steady 70 every day and also travel around a fair bit weekends as I like going to Brighton etc so it seems the best option mpg to me And motorway I use most weeks at some point as its faster than a roads where I am

Sheppeygirl, Welcome to the site. The Fabia 1.6cr is an excellent motor. It doesn't give any problems as long as you like to do the miles and not pootle around all day in it. It will pootle around, but you must combine that with some healthy faster driving too to keep the dpf nice and clean, as xreyuk says. Fuel consumption can vary to start with, but read the threads on here about running it in and mpg (I'm assuming you may be getting a new one!). Don't be put off by people telling you diesels aren't any good because they have a dpf now. The dpf's don't give any problems if you follow the normal driving advice in the owners manual.

I wont v driving too slow all the time it's nice to have a higher engine and use it occasionally it's beating my 60bhp current car and yes I will be having a new one as i can have esp and cruise control too esp being a protective dad requirement as he's tested it unintentionally and now won't be without it :) assuming the test drive goes well I will be ordering it Saturday and been quoted approx 12 delivery And fuel consumption can't be any worse then barely 35 to the gallon which I currently have :)

Make sure you test drive a 1.6TDi 105 and a 1.2TSi 105.

If a sporty drive is your priority then do consider the TSi, it's quicker than the diesel and actually feels quicker than the figures suggest, has a sportier soundtrack and because it's has 90kg of weight less under the bonnet the TSi models have crisper turn in and sharper more balanced handling.

Fair enough the diesel will be more economical but you should be able to get the TSi £1000 cheaper.

We went to change our 1.9PD TDi for a 1.6CR TDi and came away with a TSi on order.

Cheers

Lee

I will be testing both as the only monte they have in is a petrol but he said to try the diesel too so I get a feel for both etc an also said to test the citigo just because I can :)

I wont v driving too slow all the time it's nice to have a higher engine and use it occasionally it's beating my 60bhp current car and yes I will be having a new one as i can have esp and cruise control too esp being a protective dad requirement as he's tested it unintentionally and now won't be without it :) assuming the test drive goes well I will be ordering it Saturday and been quoted approx 12 delivery And fuel consumption can't be any worse then barely 35 to the gallon which I currently have :)

glad someone understands the value of ESP :thumbup:

glad someone understands the value of ESP :thumbup:

Bluecar1 tested it on the A249 in kent on the snow te other year didn't think it would correct him but he was pleasantly surprised now any car anyone in family gets it is a must have :)

• Like 1

Get a petrol instead of a diesel has diesels have DPF problems main dealer can only sort the problem out and will cost ££££'s only if you could insure a vrs model has as there is a very nice one in white colour on ebay for only £11,000 or best offer

Get a petrol instead of a diesel has diesels have DPF problems main dealer can only sort the problem out and will cost ££££'s only if you could insure a vrs model has as there is a very nice one in white colour on ebay for only £11,000 or best offer

No they don't. CR's have very very few problems with DPF's.

I had a 1.6 105 as a courtesy car and was amazed with the MPG. Easily got 70mpg on the way back to the dealer.

As for buying one, go to www.drivethedeal.com and save yourself some dosh.

Get a petrol instead of a diesel has diesels have DPF problems main dealer can only sort the problem out and will cost ££££'s

that is only an issue if you ignore the warning lights on the dash and continue to drive slow or use cheap dirty diesel until it is clogged

under most normal driving conditions and longer runs you have no issues

• Like 1

Wrong, hence why I asked on the driving that would be done. If it was all town driving, I'd have mentioned it.

• Like 1

My son has had his Monte 1.6 105bhp for two months now. Replaced his Renault Twingo 133 cup doing 35mpg on a 70 mile round trip on A19 and some country roads on his way to and from work. His Monte is now returning 59 mpg on his work journey, we think this mpg may get a little better as time goes on. He uses Total diesel reckons he gets better mpg than the Shell diesel, normal that is.

I see you are doing similar driving so you'll see similar figures, and with this type of driving cant see any problems with the DPF and the car tax is only £20 a year.

Sheppey Girl has already said she intends to drive the 105 diesel and 105 tsi.

Straight choice really, tsi for a more sporty drive, sporty sound and sharper handling or the diesel for economy.

I'd expect to get close to 50mpg from a tsi on the type of run she has said she does. Probably close to 60mpg from the diesel.

Petrol is cheaper than diesel but the roadtax is dearer. Tsi servicing a little cheaper than tdi services.

The petrol is nearly £1000 cheaper but you get approx 45%of that back at a 3 year old trade in if you go diesel so that would be around £500 to offset the fuel.

Drive both, decide which you like best, it maybe that the one you like best works out the cheapest or you may decide one model is worth that little extra to run.

I'm sure Sheppy Girl is quite capable of driving both and deciding which suits her driving style and pocket.

Cheers

Lee

Sheppey Girl has already said she intends to drive the 105 diesel and 105 tsi.

Straight choice really, tsi for a more sporty drive, sporty sound and sharper handling or the diesel for economy.

I'd expect to get close to 50mpg from a tsi on the type of run she has said she does. Probably close to 60mpg from the diesel.

Petrol is cheaper than diesel but the roadtax is dearer. Tsi servicing a little cheaper than tdi services.

The petrol is nearly £1000 cheaper but you get approx 45%of that back at a 3 year old trade in if you go diesel so that would be around £500 to offset the fuel.

Drive both, decide which you like best, it maybe that the one you like best works out the cheapest or you may decide one model is worth that little extra to run.

I'm sure Sheppy Girl is quite capable of driving both and deciding which suits her driving style and pocket.

Cheers

Lee

Love how people are generous with the TSI MPG and not so with the TDI. If you are doing a run that could get you 50mpg on the tsi you will be getting at least 70mpg in the TDI.

Why is the diesel dearer to service? What is different that they do that they don't on a petrol (besides don't change spark plugs so should be cheaper)?

Purchase price difference is irrelevant as you get that back straight away when you come to sell it as well as being more desirable.

Test both but i think if you are doing dual carriageway runs all the time you will be more suited to the diesel.....especially after a 51reg KA, you will love it!

Chathams in Edinburgh got me an Elegance 1.6 TDi 105 spec'd my way in 12 weeks. Ordered late Oct 2011, delivered Mid Jan 2012.

Extras were, Sunroof, Sports Suspension, Towbar, Black Magic Pearl, Heated Seats.

I've covered 4k miles mostly tootling round town, but no sign of DPF issues. MPG mid 40s just now.

Edited by PassatNoMore

im happy to wait for the car as its the one i have wanted since i started driving plus if its 12 week wait thats good as means i can afford it easier however due to the no VAT at the moment it makes the price too good to say no to. I will be driving both as the dealer only has a monte in petrol and a fabia in the 1.6 diesel so i have to drive both to get the feel, the lower road tax and fuel economy is the winner for me also having seen my mums old VRS which is diesel i have no issue regarding the pulling off or power as that has a heck of a lot of go to it :) i cannot wait for a change from the KA its going to be a lot better plus for work the bigger car will be a lot easier rather then fitting 3 people plus bags in a KA when out on audit... that was not a comfy drive lol

im happy to wait for the car as its the one i have wanted since i started driving plus if its 12 week wait thats good as means i can afford it easier however due to the no VAT at the moment it makes the price too good to say no to. I will be driving both as the dealer only has a monte in petrol and a fabia in the 1.6 diesel so i have to drive both to get the feel, the lower road tax and fuel economy is the winner for me also having seen my mums old VRS which is diesel i have no issue regarding the pulling off or power as that has a heck of a lot of go to it :) i cannot wait for a change from the KA its going to be a lot better plus for work the bigger car will be a lot easier rather then fitting 3 people plus bags in a KA when out on audit... that was not a comfy drive lol

£12658 from DriveTheDeal for the diesel with ESP and Cruise. Petrol is £11903.

DtD just put you in touch with a dealer so don't be afraid of them 'cos they're on the internet'. They are basically just a middle man to introduce you to their affiliated dealer. They pass all their business to this dealer so the dealer can then offer hefty discounts on what your local one may offer. You can pick the car up or have it delivered for free. I opted to pick mine up (300 mile round trip) so i could fully inspect it first and they put a full tank of fuel in to offset what they would have used for delivery.

• Like 1

Love how people are generous with the TSI MPG and not so with the TDI. If you are doing a run that could get you 50mpg on the tsi you will be getting at least 70mpg in the TDI.

Why is the diesel dearer to service? What is different that they do that they don't on a petrol (besides don't change spark plugs so should be cheaper)?

Purchase price difference is irrelevant as you get that back straight away when you come to sell it as well as being more desirable.

Test both but i think if you are doing dual carriageway runs all the time you will be more suited to the diesel.....especially after a 51reg KA, you will love it!

As our last Fabia was a 1.9tdi and I currently have two.1.2 petrols I have more of an idea of what you should get than most people. Especially as most seem to say the 1.9 was easier to get high mpg than the current 1.6.

Both the tsi and tdi retain similar percentage values after three years and thats mid 40's%. So any diesel premium you pay you will see the same percentage of it back in three years. Dont fool yourself looking at forecourt prices.

The diesel is slightly more to service over three years because it uses expensive oil and more of it and requires fuel filter changes. The petrol spark plug change is 60k miles from memory so wont concern most new buyers.

I didn't say the petrol worked out cheapest, I said Sheppey Girl should work out the total cost for both options. For us the TSI didn't work out that much more expensive over three years and we considered it worth it for the better handling and driving experience. A few hundred pounds extra over three years is peanuts over the total cost a brand new car over three years. If money is all important then far better to buy a year old example that has lost the major chunk of depreciation.

And that's after owning 5 VAG diesels and 3 Skoda diesels before the TSI purchase.

Cheers

Lee

i think i will probably decide after driving both and seeing what the cost differences are due to it being a finance thing over 3 and a half years :) i like the idea of the diesel purely because i learnt in diesel cars and didnt like the petrol in the ka and still not a fan of it, dealer wise i prefer dealing face to face as the dealer is ten mins from my workplace so its easy to get to and they can do some good offers :)

The TSI drives like a diesel, it will be nothing like the Ka's engine, you'll love it. :)

Diesel will get you the best economy and will probably be cheapest to run in the long term, though the TSI can be very economical. You do have to work a bit harder to get high economy from the TSI, but I found the TDI was strangely harder to drive as it seemed to be be less flexible. The 1.6 is not as good as the old 1.9 that's for sure, maybe it's gearing, maybe it's something else, but it's just not :(