Running in

I have just taken delivery of a new 118tsi. Sorry if it has been covered in another thread, but was just wondering about peoples thoughts on the best way to run in a new engine.

It should be fine whatever you do as long as you don't rag it but why take the chance? I went by the book but am still not sure if I really needed to.

Throw the book out - Make sure the engine oil is warm (will be on maxidot display if you have it), ie above 75C and then use all the power through the gears to the redline a few times every trip. This helps bed the piston rings in and reduces oil consumption.

This is how i run mine in and mine uses barely any oil between services (think i put 0.5l in during the first 19k miles).

Throw the book out - Make sure the engine oil is warm (will be on maxidot display if you have it), ie above 75C and then use all the power through the gears to the redline a few times every trip. This helps bed the piston rings in and reduces oil consumption.

This is how i run mine in and mine uses barely any oil between services (think i put 0.5l in during the first 19k miles).

after a fair bit of research that is pretty much what I did too - I don't have to add oil as I don't do a lot of miles and gets changed each year - no extended changes for me-- thing to remember is how long to get rhe oil hot ---- always longer than you'd think

+1

A few times a day on gear 2 & 3 take it to 5500rpm, once the oil temp. is over 90C. Downshift smoothly before roundabouts, play with gearbox all the time, do not drive on same gear or same speed for prolonged times, take your foot of accelerator slow down a little downshift, get some more speed, so play with it.

Once a week take it to 6000 rpm to clean it's bloodline.

I changed the oil at 3000 miles, thats enough time to bed if the engine if run in properly and give it a fresh oil/filter change. Check oil level every week as in first few months, it drinks quite a bit.

My oil consumption is negligible between services.

Refer to the book, I've run cars in by taking it easy and not using full throttle as the book instructs and those cars used no oil between services even with over 80k on the clock. Skoda spent a lot of time and money researching this and I would like to believe they would know better.

Thanks for your help guys. I have the DSG gearbox so assume the same applies?

I have the dsg too so no problem, just use the paddles.

I got the car warm and give it some hard acceleration from new but kept the revs well down from the red line for the first 1000 miles.

Mine has never been an oil muncher so I must have done something right.

I'm in agreement with the "Don't be too gentle with it" school of thought as several others have said. This engine is a cracker, one of the best 4 cylinder petrol engines I've ever had in 40 years of driving and I've had my 1.8Tsi for over 2 years now. I dove it in progressively up to 1k miles and red line it quite often from time to time. Doesn't use any measurable amount of oil. Goes very well indeed. Oh - and I put Redex in the tank fairly often.

The point to take on board is that if an engine is on fully synthetic oil from day one, the one thing to avoid at all costs is bore glazing and I suspect that those who have this engine and are experiencing high oil consumption have run into that problem, together with sticking rings. Net result will be high oil consumption. The bore glazing can be easily caused by using the engine too gently. The traditional cure for that problem would be to use a lower spec oil, just for a few hundred miles, a good overdose of Redex and some good Italian tune ups and good hard runs. Then change oil back.

I don't expect that your Skoda or VW dealer will countenance that course of action, but I think you will find that Honest John would.