Am I dense?

Hi everyone,

Loving the new car, but one thing is doing my head in! When driving the total miles driven changes to show speed in kmph. Now is this normal, or should it be showing miles. To be perfectly honest I would rather it just showed me the miles driven, instead of any speed. Mind you that is only so I can get excited when it hits 1,000, 10,000, 20,000 etc.....

I have RTFM and am either dense and missing something obvious or this is not a user changeable option. As the other half pointed out, no kmph scale on speedo so perhaps set up this way for driving abroad.

Cheers.

Oh well that's ok then, still an odd choice to put it there without an option to turn it on or off. I find it more distracting than anything.

I find it really useful as I suspect the car is calibrated in kph and the dial speedo has more margin for error.

Roughly speaking:

50 kph = 30mph

90 kph = 55mph (should get best mpg at this speed in D mode or highest gear)

115 kph = 70mph

Edited by hertsnminds

Offtopic: The car actually seems to be calibrated to show too high speed on the speedo. I have enabled a function that displays the set speed for the cruise control, and when compared to a Tomtom that data is fairly correct even though the speedo dial shows something completely different. Example with cruise active:

Speedo dial: 86 km/h.

set cruise speed: 81 km/h.

Tomtom: 80 km/h.

I noticed this too with mine. somewhat around a 5% margin of error. Though I actually do like it, as it always feels nice to be pushing the speed limit, and this keeps me within the safety range to avoid the camera while fooling me into thinking I'm several miles over the limit. :D

Analog and digital will agree as they both overread, you need to compare to GPS and/or cruise control preset.

Overreading speedo is common if not mandatory as in some countries the limits are viciously enforced to 1mph-2mph.

Our Roomster's speedo is, 4% out, ~5mph fast around 115mph, about 2mph error around 40mph speed. 195/55/R15 tyres.

When at some point I put taller tyres, 185/65/R15, the speedo will be accurate.

Edited by dieselV6

Ah! mea culpa

----- Edit ------

I just recalled from memory that in a village near my town there is a speed indicating radar and always shows 5kph less than my speedo.

Edited by stratosg