So, exactly how common are problems with PD engines?

I'm considering buying an Octavia VRS diesel tomorrow and I see lots of talk here about choosing TSI over the PD170 due to DMP, DPF, injector etc issues - as well as all the usual petrol v diesel arguments.

Bearing in mind that the Octavia seems to have one of the highest reliability ratings out there, are the issues a tad overstated? If things do go wrong, how costly are they to fix and surely you can source via a breaker?

Car I'm going to look at is pushing 80,000 miles, I'll probably double that mileage during my ownership.

Have to say, we've been delighted with out Mk1 Fabia VRS, bought from new and now at 80,000 miles with few issues.

from what ive read the 1.9 pd tdi is about the best, but i have no personal experience other than knowing 2 people who had the 2.0 pd tdi and both had oil pump failure and knackered engine, they were both around 07 plate

as with any make, its luck of the draw

Edited by Lofty79

My garage (they know what they're doing) reckon as long as you stick with the correct oil and service intervals then they don't see many problems with the 2.0l PD's.

Still slightly in two minds, but hey ho!

The pd 170 is a great engine and skodas never had the oil pump issue it was only early passats and a4s in 2005.

Injectors are free under recall so that's no worry,just be carefull where u get them done as there's lads on here having problems yet anyone I know in Ireland doesn't.

Dpf should give no problems if ur doing the odd once a week long journey.

The pd 170 is a great engine and skodas never had the oil pump issue it was only early passats and a4s in 2005.

Injectors are free under recall so that's no worry,just be carefull where u get them done as there's lads on here having problems yet anyone I know in Ireland doesn't.

Dpf should give no problems if ur doing the odd once a week long journey.

That's not entirely true, the mk1 Superb 2.0 TDi PD was one of the worst affected. The Octavia doesn't though as it doesn't have the troublesome balance shaft driven oil pump that caused the problems. Unfortunately all 2.0PD seemed to get tarred with the same brush, although there were a lot of differences between the various versions fitted to different VAG models and most are fine.

A 2.0 PD Octavia isn't any more likely to have oil pump problems than a 1.9 PD Octavia

The now discontinued 1.9 TDi is well known to be one of the most reliable diesel engines and not just from with the VAG but across the industry.

The 110PS, 140PS (I own one) and the 170PS (I own one of these too) 2.0 TDi engines are also very good.

Sure people have issues - but just no where near as many as other diesel engines.

There does appear to be more issues reported on here that relate to the PD engines rather than the CR but that is because there are a whole lot more PD engines out there than CR so there's bound to be.

The current issues with the PD that seem to be getting talked about are:

1) Injectors. This only affects the 170PS engine. It shouldn't be a major concern as Skoda UK are replacing these free of charge on all Octavia's, even those out of warranty, without proven service history or with high mileage/modified cars.

The problem with the injectors is that rather a few of us have experienced issues after they've been changed. Plenty to search up on and read up on here.

2) The PD engines were never designed to run with a DPF (diesel particulate filter). These were retrofitted to the engines later. Saying that I've had no issues with mine. As long as you meet the requirements to allow them to clear themselves out every so often (called a regen) then you'll be OK. If you are simply tootling around town (which prevents the DPF from doing a regen) then it is likely you'll be better off with a petrol anyway.

Buy from a main dealer, one with service history (fixed servicing if possible - fresh oil every 10,000 miles) and you'll be fine.

There are plenty out there so you can afford to be picky!

• Like 1

I went with the 1.9 as explained above, I even test drove the 2.0 but that had a replacement turbo so walked away. I would say I miss the extra gear but that's it.

I would say that when you search online you are more than likely to get the problems than someone saying my 1.9 / 2.0 pd is brilliant, had no problems, blah. Forums are a foutain of knowledge but a search will throw up issues rather than someone directly singer the praises of their car

• Like 2

Silver, that's a very useful post - many thanks.

The injectors were replaced as you say a few months ago and it's been serviced on the dot by the Skoda main dealer with also a recent cambelt change.

Zeffania, I'm sure you are right!

The now discontinued 1.9 TDi is well known to be one of the most reliable diesel engines and not just from with the VAG but across the industry.

The 110PS, 140PS (I own one) and the 170PS (I own one of these too) 2.0 TDi engines are also very good.

Sure people have issues - but just no where near as many as other diesel engines.

There does appear to be more issues reported on here that relate to the PD engines rather than the CR but that is because there are a whole lot more PD engines out there than CR so there's bound to be.

The current issues with the PD that seem to be getting talked about are:

1) Injectors. This only affects the 170PS engine. It shouldn't be a major concern as Skoda UK are replacing these free of charge on all Octavia's, even those out of warranty, without proven service history or with high mileage/modified cars.

The problem with the injectors is that rather a few of us have experienced issues after they've been changed. Plenty to search up on and read up on here.

2) The PD engines were never designed to run with a DPF (diesel particulate filter). These were retrofitted to the engines later. Saying that I've had no issues with mine. As long as you meet the requirements to allow them to clear themselves out every so often (called a regen) then you'll be OK. If you are simply tootling around town (which prevents the DPF from doing a regen) then it is likely you'll be better off with a petrol anyway.

Buy from a main dealer, one with service history (fixed servicing if possible - fresh oil every 10,000 miles) and you'll be fine.

There are plenty out there so you can afford to be picky!

I agree. I've got a Scout with a 140 PD 8v engine and a 170 PD (BRD) - not in the same car although that would be very interesting

Aside from replacement injectors and loom on the 170, I've had no issues over a combined 80,000 miles and in fact have yet to even see a DPF light come on in about 200,000 miles of driving various VAG cars fitted with DPFs.

I have had 2 Octavia's with 2.0 BKD engines and not had a problem with either

My dad currently has one, with no problems.

I had a CR 170 with a DPF and that was fine too, but that doesn't count :)

Yes, it was issues with other manufacturers common rail diesel engines that led me to seek out an Octavia with a PD engine in the first place. Other than needing an engine software update a couple of years ago mine hasn't given any trouble at all.

Ive had a Pug306 crtdi for 25k miles, a Renault Scenic 1.9crtdi for 40k miles, a Hyundai SantaFe 2.0 crtdi for 90k miles and my Octy 2.0pd 140 td for 45k miles so far (Scout so with DPF) and I might be tempting fate here but I've never yet had an engine problem. Electrical problems with the Pug and Renault yes but modern diesel engines seem bullet proof IMO.

Edited by Anddenton

• 3 years later...

I have a 2007 1.9 PD TDI which failed due to broken engine rods at 120K with full skoda service history. Needed replacement engine from breakers. Fingers crossed that I was just unlucky.

Brenny

I have a 2007 1.9 PD TDI which failed due to broken engine rods at 120K with full skoda service history. Needed replacement engine from breakers. Fingers crossed that I was just unlucky.

Brenny

Was the engine code BXE? Chocolate conrods in that specific version are about the only known issue with 1.9 PDs. I've had several 1.9s (AWX and ATD) and they were excellent.

Ive just sold my PD vrs after 87000 miles , the only problem i had was an injector failure which coincided with the recall so it cost me nothing , other than that it was a great car and i am now looking hard for its replacement . As long as you service correctly using the correct oil you should have no problems .

I love my 1.9PD and mine is a BXE but so far my rods have not melted! :D

With every negative report on a BXE, I have read many reports of Taxi's powered by BXE Engines with 300k + Miles, I actually was really sad when a taxi was parked next to me at our local Co-op, I asked him what engine and how many miles he had done ( 07 Octavia ) he replied with " It's a 1.9 BXE mate, And now showing 317k miles! )

To me as many have said, Keep the oil changes frequent, and you will be fine.

• Like 1

My previous pd engined vehicle (Passat) is now on over 225000 now owned by a friend if mine and never had any engine issues of any kind,my present pd engined Octavia is up on 185000 and still pulls like a train and never given me any issues,I personally think the 1.9 pd is better than the 2.0 for reliability.