OEM Head Unit Upgrade Options

Hi. I have a 2004/5 Elegance with the older Stream NON MP3 head unit. It is a real bind as I like to listen to radio comedy that I have recorded and saved as MP3.. On longer journeys it is a pain to have to burn lots of CD's just to listed to a few episodes etc.

What options do I have without having to upgrade Canbus etc. I just want plug and play and OEM preferably as I still have the 6 CD changer in the boot. Satnav would be nice but I already have a TomTom with a custom made mount in the top box so not an issue.

Thanks

Nick

The cheapest way would be to pick up a Connects2 adapter, which will give you an aux-in for your mp3 player through the cd changer port, though that obv means you lose the changer.

Next best wouls be to swap your HU for a Stream-mp3, which you could add an aux-in to properly, while keeping the cd changer functionality (though once you get an aux-in I found the changer became completely redundant anyway).

Once you start looking at Bolero/Columbus you will have to upgrade the canbus and the costs will ramp up.

• Like 1

The cheapest way would be to pick up a Connects2 adapter, which will give you an aux-in for your mp3 player through the cd changer port, though that obv means you lose the changer.

Next best wouls be to swap your HU for a Stream-mp3, which you could add an aux-in to properly, while keeping the cd changer functionality (though once you get an aux-in I found the changer became completely redundant anyway).

Once you start looking at Bolero/Columbus you will have to upgrade the canbus and the costs will ramp up.

Yes, this sounds like a straight swap then using the Stream-MP3? Just plug and play providing I have the 4 digit code? Where is a good source of Stream-MP3 h/u's? Not too keen on the fleabay. Any one got a clean good one they want to get rid of? What do I need to buy to add an aux-in? Is it a simple cable to plug in the back of the h/u? T'other end in glove box etc?

Maybe consider one of those FM transmitters you can plug into an MP3 player.

Not so keen on these as I've heard mix reports about them. Also I don't like extra clutter in the car if I can help it. I've already got the wife and kids to contend with at times ;-)

Edited by Golf-Fiend

Yes, this sounds like a straight swap then using the Stream-MP3? Just plug and play providing I have the 4 digit code? Where is a good source of Stream-MP3 h/u's? Not too keen on the fleabay. Any one got a clean good one they want to get rid of? What do I need to buy to add an aux-in? Is it a simple cable to plug in the back of the h/u? T'other end in glove box etc?

I believe you'll need to swap 2 pins over in the connector block when going from Stream to Stream-mp3 as they moved the Earth pin, but there's plenty of info on that around.

With regard to finding one, I'd stick a post up in the Wanted section first off, quite a number of folk have upgraded from the Stream-mp3 and I've seen plenty come and go in the For Sale section, hopefully someone might have one you can take.

You might find this thread handy for adding the aux-in. You'd just need to pick up these connectors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MERCEDES-AUDI-VW-SEAT-SKODA-FORD-PEUGEOT-CITROEN-AUX-IN-IPOD-MP3-2M-CABLE?item=130683522508&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8001869474091820860#ht_1059wt_826

• Like 1

I believe you'll need to swap 2 pins over in the connector block when going from Stream to Stream-mp3 as they moved the Earth pin, but there's plenty of info on that around.

With regard to finding one, I'd stick a post up in the Wanted section first off, quite a number of folk have upgraded from the Stream-mp3 and I've seen plenty come and go in the For Sale section, hopefully someone might have one you can take.

You might find this thread handy for adding the aux-in. You'd just need to pick up these connectors: http://www.ebay.co.u...0#ht_1059wt_826

Thanks for the info Chris. Will do and hope to pick up a good'un.

Ebay has a Stream MP3: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-MK2-Visteon-Stream-Stereo-Radio-CD-Player-MP3-/290727638486?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item43b0b7b5d6

If you change to the Stream MP3, you can keep the boot-changer too.

With the Stream MP3 you could also wire in the AUX Port (if you're using an MP3 player). You need 3 of these: (1 Set of Wires with 2 Contacts to connect to telemute on MFD2, Stream or Audience Radio - 000 979 133 {quoted from octavia-vrs.com}) and an old headphones cable. connect the Skoda wires to the wires from the headphones and connect to the connectors shown in the top-right of:

http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/images/mfd2/stream_mp3_pinouts.jpg

(is a dead easy job, the ends of the Skoda wires (yellow iirc) just push into the connector. You have to remove the connector first, but that's easy too) (I did this when I fitted by Nokia car-kit, but into the other connector)

Personally I'd then run the cables in the top touch-box on the dash (keeping with your minimum clutter request but still leaving easy access to the player) You'd also be able to connect something like the £30 personal DAB unit from Asda's to it and listen to comedy on Radio 4Extra ;) ;)

• Like 1

There's no code supplied with that or any of the others I saw on ebay though, so make sure your dealer will be willing to supply it if you need it.

What is the deal with the radio code?

I am in a similar postion to OP and have looked at both the Bolero & Columbus options and dismissed on price. So a Stream MP3 with Aux-IN would be fine and strikes a good balance of price and function for me.

It is however a rare thing to see one with a code, can they be recoded with a willing dealer? I know the code is in the radio and stored in the instrument cluster. Therefore if plugged a 'new' radio into my car I would expect it to ask for a code, unless I was uber lucky. Is it a case that a dealer can overwrite the code? Are there any provisos to this? I have no problem buying one that has come from a wrecked Octavia, as many seem to and this seems to stack up given that this is a standard fit radio, so long as I don't end up with a rather large paperweight!

Expertise and opinions sought!!!

There's no code supplied with that or any of the others I saw on ebay though, so make sure your dealer will be willing to supply it if you need it.

My dealer is quite conservative and I enquired today about getting a code for a member's Stream. The dealer was reluctant to do anything without seeing the HU AND the original car. Not easy when it's about 100 miles away.

How does the dealer obtain the code? Is it directly from the HU? From the car's ECU? From Skoda UK? What info does the dealer need to get this info?

What is the deal with the radio code?

I am in a similar postion to OP and have looked at both the Bolero & Columbus options and dismissed on price. So a Stream MP3 with Aux-IN would be fine and strikes a good balance of price and function for me.

It is however a rare thing to see one with a code, can they be recoded with a willing dealer? I know the code is in the radio and stored in the instrument cluster. Therefore if plugged a 'new' radio into my car I would expect it to ask for a code, unless I was uber lucky. Is it a case that a dealer can overwrite the code? Are there any provisos to this? I have no problem buying one that has come from a wrecked Octavia, as many seem to and this seems to stack up given that this is a standard fit radio, so long as I don't end up with a rather large paperweight!

Expertise and opinions sought!!!

The first time you put the new headunit in it'll ask you for the code, your car will then remember that code and you'll never need to re-enter it, even if you disconnect the battery/remove and re-fit the HU. This is the same for your original HU, if you were to remove and refit that you won't need to re-enter the code.

A willing dealer can indeed retrieve the code but you'll probably at least need to be known to them through servicing etc beforehand.

My dealer is quite conservative and I enquired today about getting a code for a member's Stream. The dealer was reluctant to do anything without seeing the HU AND the original car. Not easy when it's about 100 miles away.

How does the dealer obtain the code? Is it directly from the HU? From the car's ECU? From Skoda UK? What info does the dealer need to get this info?

IIRC the dealer just needs the serial number of the stereo and they can get the code from Skoda's secure database. This is why it's much easier for the original owner to get the code from their dealer, proving ownership is more straight-forward.

I've got a stream mp3 going now I've got my Columbus. Has code too.

Looks like a solution may have just presented itself. :)