Rapid - first official photos!

A bit of an illusion maybe though, the brakes on mine are a decent size compared to the wheel. Note the drum rear brakes on the Rapid.

We just need to know the proper pricing now.

Think those wheels are 17in so look quite large discs on the front. Are you sure that's drums on the rear?

A bit of an illusion maybe though, the brakes on mine are a decent size compared to the wheel. Note the drum rear brakes on the Rapid.

We just need to know the proper pricing now.

Front calipers I was looking at, sort you find on a brisk A4 Audi.

TP

Think those wheels are 17in so look quite large discs on the front. Are you sure that's drums on the rear?

Probably 16's with 205/45/16 same as the Fabia and Roomster looking at the sidewall. If they aren't drums on the rear, they are very small discs.

Probably 16's with 205/45/16 same as the Fabia and Roomster looking at the sidewall. If they aren't drums on the rear, they are very small discs.

Rear discs tend to be quite small though. If you blow the video up I'm sure you can just about see the caliper there.

My Fabia brakes compared to wheel size, they don't look small.

Yeah, rear discs are small, just they aren't usually THAT small. With the Rapid being Fabia based, it will likely get the same wheel and tyre sizes, which means 15's and 16's on the normal cars and 17's on a vRS or Scout

7403920106_df5f35abf4.jpg

Untitled by Entropy1971, on Flickr

Only reason this car is getting the HTP is to keep the price low for the entry level cars. I read itll start around £13000, but if you want a diesel in an SE spec that price wont be cheap. I reckon Skoda, like Kia etc are heading more mainstream and thus pricier.

Agreed. Hyundai are going the same way too. You will have noticed that the new Hyundais have much better and more upmarket interiors and more intricate design..... And their price has shot up by £2000.

Skoda really need to aim for a £12K start price for the Rapid to get an Octavia size car back to where it used to be. My hope is the HTP at 11995. I really don't see why it would be more expensive than the Roomster.

The cheapest 5 door Golf is £17,000 with the 1.2TSI 85BHP, expect the Rapid to be a fair bit cheaper than that but I think Skoda are a long way off being considered pricey when you consider that!

Will be interested to see what the list prices and specs are when they come out but for me the Rapid looks to be a slightly more premium product than the Roomster/Fabia.

Edited by OctaviaT81

But surely premium is what Audi are offering? Skodas should be cheap and cheerful, thats the whole point! I dont want premium and all that, just a good solid, reliable car thats a bit different.... hence my Roomy!

Can't see a rear wiper on the car in the photo, just a semi circular blacked backing on the glass where the wiper would be. I presume as a hatchback it will have one fitted - I guess the photo is of a pre-production car?

I'm not normally a fan of white cars, but it's all going full circle again and I must admit that it does look good in white.

Initial impressions are good, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can stroke the body as it were.

A bit disappointed with the 4 engines listed so if I did shell out, it would be the 1.4 122 but would love the 5th to be the 1.8TSI, but can't honestly see that happening. I do notice the video doesn't include any shots of the dash.

I heard the Rapid was due to start at about £13K. Can't see why they are using the HTP though - surely the 1.0 from the Citygo / Mii / UP! have rendered it obsolete (as powerful and more efficient). I would think the 5th engine is going to be the 160 1.4 TSi, then save the more potent engine for the vRS version.

I do hope that the bigger engines dont just come with the DSG option though - As brilliant as it it, I HATE it, it makes driving seriosly boring. (Sorry ot those who like it, thats just my opinion on it!)

Do like the idea of a Rapid Rapid though (would be a good tag line for the vRS version!!!)

• Like 1

I agree with you darren.

The engine range is a tad disappointing & what I find more disappointing is that there are no photos of the interior of the car & the what the equipment levels are.

I really do think that the 1.4 (122) will be underpowered for a car of this size.

& what I find more disappointing is that there are no photos of the interior of the car & the what the equipment levels are.

Have some patience! I'm pretty sure they're not going to keep that a secret forever. :wall:

The journalists presentation is next week so expect some more photos and info then.

The engine range is disappointing it's nice to see the 1.4 (122) TSI i like to see the 1.4 (160) TSI i can't see there being a 1.8 TSI but in time they may fit the new 1.6 TSI ( i think it's 180) and i do think the rapid needs a 2.0 CR TDI engine in it the 140 would be good but the 170 would be better i am thinking about get a rapid but i need to have a bit more power than 122 BHP the 1.4 TSI 160 is about right for the car

A 1.6 180 would do me very-nicely-thank-you. When I got the Octavia i wanted the 1.4 but as there weren't enough to go round, I went for the 1.8. So glad I did now and would miss the grunt from it.

I susppose the 1.4 122 won't be too bad as the Rapid is smaller and should be lighter, but I doubt it's will be very exciting to drive unless you really push it.

Mmm. Like the look of it, don't like the engine line up.

I think that the 1.4 (122) maybe slightly underpowered.

I wouldn't think so. I've driven a 1.4 (non turbo) Seat Leon around Czech and I was impressed. Even did a little more than the official top speed with a slight downhill.

Interestingly I've just read an article published today that is claiming that the 1.2TSI, 1.4TSI engines will be used (as we know) but also the 2.0TSI for a vRS. They also claim the use of the 1.6TDI and the 2.0TDI, and a starting price of £12k.

Might be true, might not be, but it would make it rather more interesting at the top end :)

Clikkky

Edited by Mike Wrightson

Interestingly I've just read an article published today that is claiming that the 1.2TSI, 1.4TSI engines will be used (as we know) but also the 2.0TSI for a vRS. They also claim the use of the 1.6TDI and the 2.0TDI, and a starting price of £12k.

Might be true, might not be, but it would make it rather more interesting at the top end :)

Clikkky

Don't think that's a reliable source, they also mention NA 1.6 petrol engine. If we get a vRS I would have thought it would be a 1.4TSI or maybe 1.6TSI when that turns up.

Don't know why anyone's expecting any bigger really - the Golf's engine range is almost identical to that expected for the Rapid (bar the 2.0TDI) until you get to the GT/GTI versions.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the 1.6TSI would go from 180bhp to 250bhp, with the 2.0TSI being used above that. If it's ready in time, the 1.6 would be the one for a vRS. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

The £12K starting price seems to be a very common statement though.

LOL at the comment about sticking the Citigo engine in, anyone whos owned an HTP knows its a far better lump than the 1.0 in the Citigo.... its 1.2 for a start and cc is king!

All the reports about the engine in the Citigo say that it's a good drive, but the HTP has around 20nm more torque, and when the Rapid is a bit heavier than a Citigo that will be much needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the HTP Rapid here though, they may just keep it for Eastern European markets.