all weather tyres

johnbmcg

Interested in switching to all weather tyres and all I can find in 225/50x17 is Goodyear 4

Seasons. Kumho are supposed to be bringing one out in October 2012. Why the lack of

choice, is there no demand?

Sorry i can not comment on the ones you want, but i am sure they will be in stock someplace.

The size you want is readily available and there is stock from last winter sitting places as there was not the expected demand which is why Michelin Dundee plant had to suspend manufacturing of Winter and All weather tyres for a period.

Anything here suit?

http://www.camskill.co.uk

george

Edited by sk4gw

Interested in switching to all weather tyres and all I can find in 225/50x17 is Goodyear 4 Seasons.

The Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S and the Hankook Optimo 4S are also readily available at present in that size. Don't take that as a recommendation, though. As the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons is easily the best of the all-season (not "all-weather") tyres, why not go with them? Any all-season tyre is enough of a compromise that I wouldn't want a second-rate one, especially if the weather should turn warm: progress could get very squidgy.

Why the lack of choice, is there no demand?

No doubt low demand plays a part, but so does the feeble management of the UK tyre trade, as I've said in another thread. Even when there is considerable demand, as there was for winter tyres in the earlier bad winters, the tyre trade was quite unable to organise itself to meet it.

Yup, have the 4 seasons on mine. Have done about 14k miles so far and they're going well.

Goodyear 4 season also get my vote; offspring runs them on his Fabia.

Could also look for Pirelli P 6 Four Seasons and Nokian entyre, both are available in the 225/50 R17 size.

Limited choice I suspect is down to the size; more associated with high performance motors, which need the full W rating. Problem for Skoda is their part reliance on using specs used throughout the group, therefore a quattro has 225/50 R17 as found on the TT.

TP

.... Nokian entyre, both are available in the 225/50 R17 size.

TP

The Nokian eNTYRE seems to have disappeared from mytyres where we got ours from - not that ours are showing much sign of wearing out. We will have to wait and see what the new one arrives with, though they will obviously be summer tyres. I'll need tyres for the XF soon though and I'm seriously considering the Nokian Z G2 - can't seem to get any all-season tyres in that size.

I was looking at the Vectors for future reference, the tread pattern looks a lot nearer to a full winter tyre than the eNTYRE - do they generate any noticeable tread noise?

Mark

I was looking at the Vectors for future reference, the tread pattern looks a lot nearer to a full winter tyre than the eNTYRE - do they generate any noticeable tread noise?

Mark

I've not noticed them being any more noisy than the OE Dunlops they replaced. I got them in October. They were great in the winter, took me up the snow covered farm track to my house no worries. I'm keeping them on through the summer. The only question mark I had was over longevity, but after 14k miles they're only about half worn. Bit p*ss*d off that I got a nail in the shoulder of one, and a slow puncture, in a place that can't be repaired - so one new tyre going on later today.

Hardly any more than the stock tyres.

If fact after listening for it when changing the tyres I half convinced myself it was only more noisy because I was specifically listening for it.

• 1 month later...

I need to replace all 4 tyres on our Yeti 140 4x4 as I swapped round the existing W rated Dunlop's at 12k (now covered 25k.)

I want to use Goodyear Vector 4S but these are only V rated. Has anyone had a propblem with their tyre fitter kicking off at replacing the Dunlop W's with V's?

Cheers.

A 'V' rated tyre is supposed to be good for speeds up to 149mph, comfortably in excess of any Yeti model's maximum speed, so where's the problem?

From what I can gather the load rating is of more importance, Yetis need a load rating of 94, which equates to 670kg per wheel.

• Like 1

Got the 4seasons fitted on my wifes SX4. Great all rounder, but she does drive sensibily. I do notice their grip on an empty warm, dry road is not as good as a summer tyre when trying to get the door handles to touch the ground on a bend.... :giggle: Fine for noise and not really noticed any difference in hard braking as the ABS masks skidding.

Edited by Deputy

One of the difficulties in selecting tyres is that all the testing done specifically tests summer tyres in summer conditions and winter ones for winter conditions. 4 season tyres always come out worse than either in both conditions - but maybe not by large enough margins to be significat for anything but the worst winter conditions and hottest summer conditions.

My subjective testing of winter tyres for the annual trek of 6000 miles form southern Scandinavia to suthern Spain on my winter tyres makes me conclude that if I did not have two sets of wheels with summer and winter tyres. The trip conditions have ranged from ice and snow all the way down to the Med. Starting out in the morning from Valence, south of Lyon, the bottom half of the car had a 2 inch layer of ice from freezing spray. Extreme rainfall in the mountains of Andalucia, mudslides on the small mountain roads, and summer temperatures on the high speed trek north. Snowwhite never put a foot wrong in any of that.

I would be quite happy running the winter Goodyears all year round. There is no significant difference in noise, they perfom excellently both in all the winter stuff and on wet and dry roads at speed - read Autobahn. Wear rates are not different. It would realy be interesting to see a comparison test with winter and summer tyres in summer conditions. There is no doubt that summer tyres stink in real winter conditions, but are the winter ones really too bad in hot summer weather?????

Edited by Agerbundsen

I'm running the Goodyear 4 season all year round. I don't experience the extended extreme winter conditions one might expect in some Scandinavian parts and these tyres have proved more than capable in the British winter, and for my skiing trips to the Alps. I'm also entyrely :giggle: happy with their performance over the months of May, June, July, August this year ... though I'm still waiting to find out what they'll be like in summer :sun:

[snip] I'm also entyrely :giggle: happy with their performance over the months of May, June, July, August this year ... though I'm still waiting to find out what they'll be like in summer :sun:

'Tread' carefully, Bobdog :bandit:

• Like 1

I have the 4 seasons on mine - ordered them from that Oponeo site, and they were delivered in just a few days. I've not had the car long enough to test in winter conditions, but in horrendous storms over the weekend, and the flash floods that came with them, they gripped as well as I could hope for. Was like driving through rivers at some points.

Probably won't snow now for the time I own the car :D

Geiti is currently crawling around on 215/60R16 Yokohama Geolandar AT-S (M+S). When the green winter ends, she will have to use the 215/60R16 Hakkapeliitta 7 through the white winter. I know this is a bit on the extreme side. (The -85 G-Class I drove for more than 20 years managed well running on Hercules TerraTracs.) I feel this is a safe setup for scandinavian conditions. If the Geolandars shows adequate results on snow/ice, the Hakka 7's may have seen a short life on Geiti. -Time will show...

BTW, I am happy with the Geolandars so far, but only done 4200 kms. Quiet, but maybe a little soft due to the 9,5 mm tread.

Drive safe, regardless which rubber you are using, -Gunnar

Geiti is currently crawling around on 215/60R16 Yokohama Geolandar AT-S (M+S). When the green winter ends, she will have to use the 215/60R16 Hakkapeliitta 7 through the white winter. I know this is a bit on the extreme side. (The -85 G-Class I drove for more than 20 years managed well running on Hercules TerraTracs.) I feel this is a safe setup for scandinavian conditions. If the Geolandars shows adequate results on snow/ice, the Hakka 7's may have seen a short life on Geiti. -Time will show...

BTW, I am happy with the Geolandars so far, but only done 4200 kms. Quiet, but maybe a little soft due to the 9,5 mm tread.

Drive safe, regardless which rubber you are using, -Gunnar

Thanks for the post, first review I believe of a Yeti running on Geolander's; so again many thanks.

If my fellow UK residents are unsure the following is a link to info on the extreme winter Hakkapeliitta 7

http://www.nokiantyr...Hakkapeliitta 7

TP

Hi,

We sold our Zero rosso"s supplied with our Yeti (2,litre diesel 4x4 ) and got our local VW dealer (family friend before anyone asks) to fit Dunlop 4 seasons. in my opinion a big step up,and worth the cost, did ask for the Dunlops when we ordered the Yeti, but got what they had!

Slightly OT here, but the last snow chains thread was last winter I think. The instructions for snow chains say that the right sort can be put on either the front or back wheels of the Yeti. Has anybody experimented by trying them on both ends (just 1 pair)? The haldex clutch would mean that the rears would only take up drive when the front begins to slip. I would be interested to read of others' experience.

Slightly OT here, but the last snow chains thread was last winter I think. The instructions for snow chains say that the right sort can be put on either the front or back wheels of the Yeti. Has anybody experimented by trying them on both ends (just 1 pair)? The haldex clutch would mean that the rears would only take up drive when the front begins to slip. I would be interested to read of others' experience.

Hi and welcome,

if you have a 4x4 then you can fit the correct size chains to the rear wheels but not the front if you have the standard size tyres of 215/60 R16 or 225/50 R17.

With 2wd or 4x4, then fitting at the front would require 16" rims to be fitted with 205/55 tyres or 17" rims (of a narrower profile) with 205/50 tyres.

This link might also be of interest;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/

Regards,

TP