USB ports and wireless mouse

Irvtheswerv

This I think is a strange one. I have a cheapo Samsung RV510 notebook with Windoze 7, which the better quarter uses for her Uni work. I've got a wireless mouse, slapped the receiver in the USB port away we go no problems. It's a Cerulian wireless 3 button mouse from Maplin.

HOWEVER after a couple of days, mouse stops working. USB ports are live, driver is up to date, mouse works on another machine no problem. There are no windows updates missing, machine is up to date. I cannot get the machine to identify/recognise the wireless adapter when it's inserted into a USB port.

Any ideas? Have not found anything online that has helped so far.

Have you checked it all out in the control panel? I'm guessing it should come up as HID (human interface device) and possibly disabling the built in track pad in case of any conflict?

Biggest problem I have with my wireless mouse is the dogs stealing it and taking it out in the garden for a good chew

Buying cheap is often a false economy as you won't get the levels of support that you do from the likes of M$ & Logitech et al.

Normally I would agree but for a £3 mouse is there much to go wrong?

Well you can buy one, how long it will last is a different matter.

The durability of such things is usually questionable at best, if you buy cheap it doesn't usually last very long, hence a false economy.

I've done it in the past and in the end I relented and paid the extra and bought some quality kit, the most I've paid for a mouse & keyboard combo is £125, that was for a Logitech Bluetooth set, I still have it sans the Bluetooth dongle which I snapped off, I can use it with a standard Bluetooth dongle, but it's exceptionally heavy compared to the new 2.4Ghz wireless stuff so I use the newer wireless stuff which is cheaper at £65 and isn't such a pain in the bum to setup & it doesn't eat batteries like the Bluetooth stuff.

In fact this current set up of Logitech MK700 & M705 mouse is still on the original set of batteries 16 months after I bought & installed it and it's still on 75% battery for keyboard & 40% mouse.

I already binned more than one logitech mouse which had a fault in the receiver. tbh I'm going to go back to cable, I've never had a wireless one that was anything other than a pile of crap, it's just that this problem was a new one on me.

Well that was stupid wasn't it. You could have quite easily sent it back to Logitech under warranty or bought a replacement receiver for around a tenner.

Not as stupid as you paying a tenner for a replacement receiver or messing about with a warranty claim for a mouse that cost £2.

I'd agree and pay a bit more for something decent. Especially considering how much you use a mouse, it's worth the investment.

I've currently got 2 Logitech MX1000 - one for work and one for home.

They cost me about £50 each, which is the most I've ever spent on a mouse, however my one at home is still going strong after 8 years, and my work one is currently at 5 years.

The lettering has rubbed off, but they're still working as good as when I got them.

the most I've paid for a mouse & keyboard combo is £125,

They cost me about £50 each, which is the most I've ever spent on a mouse,

You two have got more money than sense !!, it's a mouse for crying out loud !!. I've still got my 8yr old Dell one and that works just fine, and lets face it, I doubt Dell spent more than a couple of quid on them.

You two have got more money than sense !!, it's a mouse for crying out loud !!. I've still got my 8yr old Dell one and that works just fine, and lets face it, I doubt Dell spent more than a couple of quid on them.

Yes, a mouse which is constantly in use all day.

Say a £10 mouse lasted a year before becoming flakey, I'd say I've got my moneys worth.

In my right-hand at work it my 8 year old microsoft basic mouse, still going strong. IIRC it cost the company a tenner.

Not as stupid as you paying a tenner for a replacement receiver or messing about with a warranty claim for a mouse that cost £2.

You're wrong there as I wouldn't be so naive as to pay £2 for a mouse, I pay for quality not rubbish. Still if you want to waste money on cheap crap, then be my guest. Just don't complain about it when it goes wrong & you have to buy a new one & you don't get the level of customer support you do from buying a reasonably priced premium product.

As earlier I'd agree with the idiom buy cheaply pay dearly but it's a mouse for a student's uni course, can you really justify spending that much bearing in mind the intended use ??, besides which what level of customer support is necessary for such a peripheral item.

The OP has already mentioned about certain symptoms such as driver & connectivity issues, you could get email or phone assistance with such issues if you are prepared to pay a little extra for them.

A student mouse should be of the premium kind as it will probably get more use & abuse than most mice.

By heck there is some rubbish being spouted on here - I've got three wireless 2.4Ghz mice on three different machines ranging in price from £4 to £6 and all work spot on full time (one is on my work PC that I use all day every day!) and have done for a number of years! - You don't need to spend £50to £100 to get a long lasting quality item!

Depends on the usage.

If you want a performance item such a a laser mouse which works on all surfaces including glass surfaces then you're going to have to pay more than the trash that comes out of Maplins.

If you want something that's good & robust then pay at least £20, not a £2 piece of junk.

I had similar symptoms with an asus ( I think) mouse. Worked on all but the machine I wanted it on. Finally after much random tweaking found that some how windows or something had disabled it, maybe a conflict with a previous mouse, don't lnow. Worked fine after that.