Fabia 1.4 16v problems

Hi all, im new here so be gentle with me ;) I have the Fabia 1.4 16v my03 its had 1 service at 8000 miles due to warranty conditions, its been running fine up untill about a month ago. Since then ive noticed that I rellay have to rev it alot to pull away in 1st gear and when changing up there seems to be a "dead spot" which can often lead to stalling :confused: also there seems to be a slight delay from pushing down on the gas pedal to the engine reacting (are these cars "fly-by-wire" ? )

Any advice or ideas as to why its doing this would be gratefully recieved :thumbup:

ps great sitea and forum my partner has a Seat Leon Cupra so pointed me in this direction

Thanx Lorna

i know when mines at idle after haveing been reved hard after a long drive it tends to dip below the 1000 rpm mark and it stalls sometimes always got to get the revs right otherwise it gives up :( thats the only down side the rest is great :D

Hi all' date=' im new here so be gentle with me ;) I have the Fabia 1.4 16v my03 its had 1 service at 8000 miles due to warranty conditions, its been running fine up untill about a month ago. Since then ive noticed that I rellay have to rev it alot to pull away in 1st gear and when changing up there seems to be a "dead spot" which can often lead to stalling :confused: also there seems to be a slight delay from pushing down on the gas pedal to the engine reacting (are these cars "fly-by-wire" ? )

Any advice or ideas as to why its doing this would be gratefully recieved :thumbup:

ps great sitea and forum my partner has a Seat Leon Cupra so pointed me in this direction

Thanx Lorna[/quote']

I have experienced similar problems to what you describe in my Octy vRS, especially the difficulty pulling away in 1st. In my case all that was required was to re-calibrate the throttle - this can be done in the following way (assuming that the Fabia is fly-by-wire or should that be drive-by-wire? ;) ):

With the bonnet and drivers side door open, turn the key to position II (ignition circuit on but before the engine starts) - you should hear a high pitch beeping noise from within the engine bay which will last for around 60 seconds during which time the throttle body re-calibrates itself. When this beeping noise stops close the bonnet and start the engine, waiting a few seconds before moving off.

Hope this helps.

I have experienced similar problems to what you describe in my Octy vRS' date=' especially the difficulty pulling away in 1st. In my case all that was required was to re-calibrate the throttle - this can be done in the following way (assuming that the Fabia is fly-by-wire or should that be drive-by-wire? ;) ):

With the bonnet and drivers side door open, turn the key to position II (ignition circuit on but before the engine starts) - you should hear a high pitch beeping noise from within the engine bay which will last for around 60 seconds during which time the throttle body re-calibrates itself. When this beeping noise stops close the bonnet and start the engine, waiting a few seconds before moving off.

Hope this helps.[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback, I tried your suggestion drm_jones but when I turned on the ignition with door and bonnet open I didnt get any kind of beeping noise ? ... do you think I need to get it on VAG com to look for fault codes etc ?

thanx Lorna

I have similar problem with my 1.4 16v. Slow throttle response, pull away from idle stall easily after some long/hard driving. I will try Jones' suggestion very soon, hope this can cue this (NA lag :D ) problem.

If I remember correctly, there was some kind of problem with the 1.4 16v with a sensor or something with the throttle. I can't remember the details, though I remember reading it in a long term test article in a magazine. (possibly auto express)

'slow throttle response' was usually one of the only negative points said about the 1.4 16v when it first came out - I think it mainly affected the early cars? and I think it is design feature to make changing gears smoother????

If I remember correctly, there was some kind of problem with the 1.4 16v with a sensor or something with the throttle. I can't remember the details, though I remember reading it in a long term test article in a magazine. (possibly auto express)

Its been a documented fact that the Fabia 1.416v has an ECU problem. If its still under warranty go get it fixed........insist on a new ECU......apparently a new ECU will do the trick.....

:D