Possibly cloaned debit card whilst abroad

mannyo

I get text alerts each time my card is used abroad, and received one at 4.30am UK time. I am currently abroad so this complicates matters a bit.

Speaking to my bank (lloydstsb) at 4.30am UK time this morning, they have put a marker on the transaction as its possibly one of mine. I know the amount and what the transaction was for in £ (Autopista Toll payment) but not the location of the transaction or the value in euros as the bank cannot see that yet because its not been fully processed. Should this not be one of mine they are happy to cancel the card, and start the fraud process. Luckily I have another means of payment with me.

The reason for leaving it like this is that I have used the card three times to pay for motorway tolls, one is on my account already but two have yet to come through fully, and now there is a possibility of another one I was not responsible for.

I have only used the card a few times for payment, and I am normally vigilant of this sort of thing.

2 x Cash Withdrawls - Gib £ (Main Street and Morrisons)

2 x Tanks of petrol - Gib £ (Gib Oil and Morrisons)

3 x motorway tolls (1 - Autopista Seville, 2 - Autopista Del Sur), I am reasonably sure that I already had the text alerts for these.

So not sure on those where the card may have been cloned (if it has been).

The card is in my possession.

When my card has been done twice it was not my card that was cloned,

it was my Netbook that was compromised on Wi-Fi.

I have never seen such an incompetent lot as Lloyds-TSB.

& i could not believe that they actually do send Emails to customers, even when a customer like me gets Scammed or their Card abused.

I tracked down the people using my card details and went to the Police when home and made Lloyds take action.

They put it all back on their customers.

Suspect your Computer use or Smart Phone as much as your actual card.

george

why did you use your card to pay for toll and not cash are the tolls that expensive over there.

bill

Convenience, pop card in machine and it spits it out again (no pin number needed). On your way in less then 10 seconds, as opposed to having to wait for change and sort out the correct money.

Wont be my computer, I work in IT and know what to look for. Never buy anything on unsecured or unknown wifi, and I am very careful with regard to online purchases.

European toll plaza payments are a must for scammers if youve had your card cloned!!...Some feckers used mine to travel all over europe going through tolls!!....Def worth checking out pronto.

kit :)

On the few occasions I go abroad I always pay the toll charges, restuarant bills in cash, reserving the cards for the supermarkets.

Its reported that there is a big ex-patriate Russian community doing all sorts of criminality in southern France (And northern spain ? ) now. Appacently they are out of control.

One time, when it may advantage you to be a Santander Customer ?

Nick

Sadly in the current climate it's on the rise, and so the banks are being less helpful.

Hope you get it sorted. Remember some national chains abroad as with here may use a different name or transaction location to the one you paid at.

I used my card in the toll machines all across southern France, only to get it cloned in the first BP garage I stopped at in the UK on my way home.

It took NATWEST a YEAR to pass on the details to the Police, by which time the garage had been demolished and a new bypass built over the site.

They also lost all of the paperwork after sending it to India for processing and took the thousands of ££'s back off of my new card, making me think it had been cloned as well.

Dont bank with NATWEST any more!!!

I have never seen such an incompetent lot as Lloyds-TSB.

I tracked down the people using my card details and went to the Police when home and made Lloyds take action.

They put it all back on their customers.

george

+1 (well they actually come a close 2nd to the CSA)

I changed bank after my Lloyds card was cloned, despite me giving them two addresses where everything that was being bought was being sent they refused to do anything!

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any consolation several years ago I had my card cloned and it wasn't until I went to withdraw cash that I found out.

I rung them, told to destroy my card immediately, after they told me I had been in Marseilles, Lyon, Paris, Eurodisney & Madrid, all within 36-48 hours, impossible as I was driving trains on the dates concerned, my company proved that to the bank with their records.

I was told to report it to the police. Surrey police... About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike! smiley-taunt001.gif

The ar$€holes swiped £6500 from my account, luckily my account carried insurance against such things and I got all of my money back within 24 hours of the last fraudulent payment going out. New card was with me within 72 hours, that was Lloyds bank, who were brilliant.

I had another security scare at KFC in Woking, in March when I paid for a meal, the terminal that I used my card with had an odd looking display and was a pain to use & the staff kept staring at me & looking at the payment terminal + muttering in a either Russian or other Eastern Bloc language.

I was at this point I became suspicious, popped around the corner, withdrew £120 & then contacted the bank about my suspicions, they cancelled my card & issued a new one for me which was with me within 72 hours, they were told that if any foreign transactions were made to annul them, as I wasn't going anywhere abroad for the foreseeable future.

I also alerted the Police, who this time took notice. :o

I haven't had any problems since though & yes my account is insured against fraud & theft.

If I go abroad now I use a prepaid/preloaded currency card + a small amount of cash for incidentals such as tolls (safer).