Upgrading to Sky HD

slider

I am upgrading from Sky+ to Sky+ HD. I do not have a phone line connected to my current Sky+ box but I see from the HD upgrade instructions that I need to connect a phone line to teh new box to perform a "callback" that will activate the HD channels.

I don't have a phone socket near my TV and don't really want another wire trailing round the lounge. Not practical to move the TV to the socket either.

Question - can I set the new box up by moving my smaller bedroom TV (which is also HD ready) next to the phone socket, then disconnect the Sky box from this and move it back to my main TV? The TV isn't "paired" to the box or anything sneaky like that?

Edited by slider

Nope, Sky are clamping down. The box must be contactable at any time via the phoneline. If not they'll sting you the FULL cost of the box and any services. Must be connected to a phone line for 12 months min.

Friend got stung as his multiroom plus box wasnt connected to a phone line. The sent him a bill back dated as if a stand alone install! This was on month 11, so as you can image he wasnt best pleased.

The bloke left me about 20 ft of cable, plugged it in, did the call back, and said if ever they ring and ask why it's not plugged in, say the kids must have pulled it out, plug it in for a few hours and then remove it again.

They never did ring !!

Edit ... this was a few years ago, sounds like it's changed

if your only going to use the one box (ie. no multiroom) then simply setup on the spare TV and then move once the callback has completed. My HD box has not been connected to a phone line for years, never had any problems.

if you are going down the multiroom box then both boxes must be connected fulltime to the same telephone number.

THAT'S why I'm with Virgin Media.

I WON'T give my money to that CREEP Murdock. :no:

Is this the same virgin media that buys nearly all its channels from Sky? so your money by proxy goes to him :D

THAT'S why I'm with Virgin Media.

I WON'T give my money to that CREEP Murdock. :no:

no cable available in the sticks - can't even get a decent terestial signal!

You will regret not getting it linked, ideally to your modem so you can use anytime. You can then download content direct onto your box - films, tv shows, there's loads on there free stuff and movies which have just come out on DVD but you have to pay for these. You really are missing the potential of the box if you don't get it set up right.

Why would I regret not getting raped by sky?

It's odd people moan about sky having everything, but then give them the money to buy it all up.

I think if sky lost 50% of their subscriber base, you'd see things coming back on freeview or similar, due to the financial aspect of it.

• Like 1

no cable available in the sticks - can't even get a decent terestial signal!

Sorry Slider, in that si****ion, one doesn't really have a choice. :p

Good luck with the upgrade. :yes:

Why would I regret not getting raped by sky?

It's odd people moan about sky having everything, but then give them the money to buy it all up.

I think if sky lost 50% of their subscriber base, you'd see things coming back on freeview or similar, due to the financial aspect of it.

I doubt it will ever happen, it's too chicken & egg. The big boys of broadcast BBC, ITV & Sky produce & finance original output as well as own channels to broadcast. They also have a vested interest in distribution through the platforms - Sky - satellite; BBC, ITV, C4 & Sky have equal ownership of Freeview; BBC & ITV both have equal ownership of Freesat.

Virgin are no longer interested in production since they sold their channels (living etc) to Sky, and concentrate solely on broadcast distribution.

Out of these Sky is the strongest in terms of buying sports, movies etc as they have a sole distribution platform and interest in financing production projects.

We will only see a change in UK TV market with the convergence of broadcast over the internet. But rights will be heavily controlled and its likely we will see a joint venture similar to Freeview which is controlled by the big 4, but bandwidth has to be increased and speed around the Uk increased until there is a big change.

This thread is not about the differences between virgin, sky etc. please keep to the original topic regarding upgrading from one Sky product to another.

Some of us, including me have no alternative but to go with Sky as we cannot get an alternative service to provide sport / movie channels etc.

Sorry.

If you want to use Sky you really need to have it plugged into the phone for buying movies etc to get the most out of it. I couldn't wait for anytime as you don't have to subscribe to Sky's Internet service now to download to your HD box.

If you don't want the cables and i can understand that buy a wireless phone jack, you can even get them for the Internet, they plug into your mains sockets, it's a good alternative.

If you don't want the cables and i can understand that buy a wireless phone jack, you can even get them for the Internet, they plug into your mains sockets, it's a good alternative.

now that sounds like a plan - didn't realise such a thing was available and was just about to post a moan about this!

Would also be awfae nice if Sky boxes had wifi built in.

now that sounds like a plan - didn't realise such a thing was available and was just about to post a moan about this!

Would also be awfae nice if Sky boxes had wifi built in.

Wireless phone jack ordered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS-PHONEJACK-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000NJQHL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341039093&sr=8-1

Thanks guys. Once again Briskodians ride to the rescue.

Wireless phone jack ordered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS-PHONEJACK-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000NJQHL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341039093&sr=8-1

Thanks guys. Once again Briskodians ride to the rescue.

Sounds like a plan.

You may need something like this so you can also connect sky box to your wifi without an Ethernet cable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wifi-Bridge-Make-Sky-HD-box-wireless-sky-anytime-/200565036623

• 2 weeks later...

I have a multiroom setup and on one of the phone cables, the clip is broken so the cable slips out the port from time to time which is duly followed by a latter from Sky warning me that it needs to be plugged although the cable had probably been unplugged a while before they got in touch. I never noticed any reduced functionality with it but replaced the cable so I don't know how active they are about chasing it up these days.

John