Thanks to all those that have assisted with my other dumb questions about Columbus Sat Nav functions etc...really grateful. Now I have another problem!!!

The Maxi Dot display that sits right in front of the driver in the middle of the dashboard. I seem to be getting to grips with it for phone use and Bluetooth connectivity etc....however.......the "Average Speed" in the "Trip" data that is displayed centre bottom of the panel displays only in "km/h" and I can't work out how to alter it! I should add that my car is full UK spec, not an import and has an MPH speedo and measures everything else in imperial. Can anyone help? It's driving me nuts!

Once again, I am grateful for all responses

Yes you need someone with VCDS to change the cars (coding) to 'Australia', this will then give you the option to toggle between the current (small) KPH and a larger MPH.

Thanks Roadcrafty but I've tried that.............that sets the units etc for everything but the average speed readout on the Maxi Dot display! Not sure about the VCDS thing suggested by the others......maybe I'll just learn to live with it! I assume everyone else is unless they are all having their cars "re programmed" to Australian?

Thanks Roadcrafty but I've tried that.............that sets the units etc for everything but the average speed readout on the Maxi Dot display!

That's because it does not appear in the maxidot until the coding has been changed with VCDS.

Not sure about the VCDS thing suggested by the others......maybe I'll just learn to live with it! I assume everyone else is unless they are all having their cars "re programmed" to Australian?

Correct, everyone who has it has had the coding changed.

As for not being 'sure' about doing it there are lots of options that are not always enabled by the dealer, this can also depend on the model or dealer* the option to enable or disable them only appears on the maxidot once the coding has been changed,

just some of these options are:

• Using the front fog lights for C/H & L/H lights (to save unnecessary wear and premature failure of the xenon bulbs)
  • Cornering foglights
  • Staging (instrument needle sweep when the ignition is turned on)
  • Telephone connection bong
  • Footwell lights on with sidelights (and dim-able through the maxidot)

It's your car and your choice, but personally if the car is capable of doing it then I would like to be the one who makes the choice of whether to enable it or not.

*Some dealers will even tell you wrongly that certain options cannot be enabled - some of these 'options' Skoda will even try to charge you extra for when you spec the car!!

So what´s wrong with the metric system ;)...

Nothing ..... apart from the fact that the UK uses MPH and not KPH, so whilst driving in the UK it is pointless.

Here! Here!

I believe the regs say that out cars have to be able to show KPH as well as MPH and not that they have to show the two continually at the same time. So an easy internal conversion system would be the answer. I do think its time that the manufacturer should be on top of this without the need for us all to go looking for some kind soul with a VCDS...whatever that is.

I did some reading a little while back, and the EU type approval regs require that the Speedo displays MPH and KPH or just KPH. Not must be able to, but must do it. Therefore they wouldn't have been able to get the approval if you could switch it off.

:no:

Speedometers

35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;

©an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;

(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;

(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;

(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;

(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or

(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.

(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.

So...are we saying then, that if we get this VCDS thingy to change the Maxi Dot display to show MPH, we'd be contravening this reg?

Secondly, to go back to the original question...does the Maxi Dot show everything in the Fuel Computer (Distance travelled, Trips, Fuel in tank, Overall economy etc) in `Imperial`...but the `average speed` in Metric (KPH)? Or have I got that wrong.

No, you have to be ABLE to show both, this is done by scrolling through the maxidot settings (takes less than 10 seconds to activate the KPH display) so it satisfies the regs.

As for the consumption settings this is up to the owner - both are available., as they are as std.

No, you have to be ABLE to show both, this is done by scrolling through the maxidot settings (takes less than 10 seconds to activate the KPH display) so it satisfies the regs.

As for the consumption settings this is up to the owner - both are available., as they are as std.

Thank you. I think I understand all this now. Just gotta find some kind soul with this VCDS thingy in the Skegness area...once I've got my hands on my new Superb!

*Some dealers will even tell you wrongly that certain options cannot be enabled - some of these 'options' Skoda will even try to charge you extra for when you spec the car!!

What sort of options are you referring to here please? Be good to know what can be enabled for free ins tread of specing from the dealer / factory... is Hill hold Control one of them? I'm sure I read on an Audi forum a year or two back that this could be enabled in the A4 via VCDS.

To the OP, it sounds as if you mean the KMH speed readout above the trip meter on the MFD (displayed constantly). This is just your speed in KPH at that time. I don't remeber by Superb av speed on the Maxi-dot being in KPH after you scrolled through the tabs - it was MPH.

Or I've misunderstood.

What sort of options are you referring to here please? Be good to know what can be enabled for free ins tread of specing from the dealer / factory... is Hill hold Control one of them? I'm sure I read on an Audi forum a year or two back that this could be enabled in the A4 via VCDS.

Hill hold IIRC needs extra hardware installed, it is not just a code change.

Some of the more popular changes are:

Front fog lights for CH / LH lights (ideal for xenon equipped cars)

Seatbelt warning bongs disabled

Cornering fog lights

Selective unlocking

Alarm chirp on locking / unlocking

Anti hi-jack (doors lock automatically when you pull away - 10imph ish?)

Staging (needle sweep when ignition is turned on)

Large digital MPH display

Telephone connection beep disabled

Tailgate beep disabled (Superb with electric tailgate only|)

Those are just some of the things from off the top of my head, maxidot will allow you to change some things depending on the age and spec of the car.

• Like 1

Coming Home and Leaving Home lights.

You can configure the car so when you open the car the headlights come on, ideal if you park somewhere dark, likewise the same happens when you lock the car, these can be enabled and disabled via the maxidot.

(when you have auto lights they only come one once it has become dusk/dark)

Hill hold IIRC needs extra hardware installed, it is not just a code change.

Some of the more popular changes are:

Front fog lights for CH / LH lights (ideal for xenon equipped cars)

Seatbelt warning bongs disabled

Cornering fog lights

Selective unlocking

Alarm chirp on locking / unlocking

Anti hi-jack (doors lock automatically when you pull away - 10imph ish?)

Staging (needle sweep when ignition is turned on)

Large digital MPH display

Telephone connection beep disabled

Tailgate beep disabled (Superb with electric tailgate only|)

Those are just some of the things from off the top of my head, maxidot will allow you to change some things depending on the age and spec of the car.

That's great, thank you. Still pondering over whether to take the plunge and spend all that cash on a Superb, so good to get this sort of info in advance. :)

• 2 years later...

Can the cruise control set speed be displayed on 2011 models by any chance? AFAIK newer Superbs have this, I've seen it in the current model Octavia and Leon and I'd like to have this a lot.

Also is there a setting that makes the car follow the set cruise speed as precisely as my 2005 1.9 Octavia would, rather than varying by a km/h each way for just long enough that I adjust the set speed and then discover it's now set to just above the speed limit. How hard the cruise accelerates to its set speed is an option that can be varied in the vehicle settings on the new VRS Octy AFAIK, so I'm hoping it's hidden in there somewhere in the Superb...

I like the compass, it reminds me that there's GPS when I'm not using it :p... The graphical compass on the maxidot screen when you select navigation but have no route set in the GPS could do with having much better resolution, rather than the same resolution as 2 letters in the top corner of the screen are already giving though.

I discovered that the volume of the telephone bing can be changed by turning the volume control on the radio as it's making the bing noise - no other way to get at it as far as I know, but once I turned it down it's no longer annoying, just a nice reminder that your phone is connected. 

Edited by psycholist