Potential vRS purchase

I went to view the following car today and decided to do a bit more research before making an offer as it ticks all the boxes for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251079937032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Negatives: On idle, the engine shakes/rocks about a fair amount, more than is normal sort of like a misfire but not. Other than that, the steering was all over the place, even at low speed there was a slight vibration coming through the wheel and I had to hold the wheel firm when approaching bumps. The car has no MOT/tax and needs a service. The last MOT advisory (06/2011) was 'O/S/R Brake caliper is stiff to move and has therefore got reduced brake efficiency'. Drivers seat has a rip and interior needs a good clean. No paperwork apart from last MOT.

Positives: Bodywork is straight with minimal stone chips and just 2 'dents'. 1 owner from new and always serviced and MOT'd at Mitchell Skoda with a fully stamped book to 83K. Not included in the ad but has cruise, 6CD changer and parking sensors.

Any advice with the bad points and what you think the car is worth?

Hi mate. At a glance I would say its overpriced for mileage and condition. Also doesnt the advert say full mot? I would honestly think you can better for lower money. Try piston heads or even on here.

Hi mate. At a glance I would say its overpriced for mileage and condition. Also doesnt the advert say full mot? I would honestly think you can get better for lower money. Try piston heads or even on here.

Are we talking about the same car? The advert you've linked to notes both "FULL MOT" and "MOT Expiry: 06/2013". "Cruise Control" is also mentioned in the ad. Well maybe - I can see a rip in the driver's seat...

I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer - which I presume this is (just) - without a full MOT.

Not sure the price is over as suggested though obviously it IS a higher mileage than average for the year. Seems to be the cheapest 2006 car from a trader at Autotrader. That said I'd suggest once a car's 6 years old there's not much to be gained going for a younger car than a slightly older car with less mileage? You might not get the BLT engine of course but ultimately I don't think that makes much difference. Other spec's largely the same.

If the service history runs out at 83k then it's also not got "Full Service History" as noted in the Autotrader advert - should be every 10k.

Edited by DRJ

I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer - which I presume this is (just) - without a full MOT.

Absolutely agree with this. In the past I've bought and put vehicles on the road that didn't come with a ticket but they were bought privately at the right price.If a dealer can't put a ticket on a vehicle for sale then I would suggest he either shouldn't be in business or you are about to be fleeced paying for repairs that aren't in this this case reflected in the asking price..

I picked my vrs up on an 05 plate, silver, paintwork was in very good condition, had 45k on the clocks and paid £5,300 if this helps on a guide at all

No it's not a judder through the car. When viewing the engine it's shakes about a fair bit more than what I consider normal. This may be normal for a BLT engine however? The shake/judder is not transferred to the cabin.