Hesitation

ejstubbs

Recently I have noticed that my Yeti seems to hesitate slightly as I pull away in first while turning the steering wheel eg when pulling out of a side road. It dosn't seem to do it moving off in a straight line. The hesitation seems to happen at around 1,500rpm. It's fairly slight, but definitely noticeable - enough to make me reflexively push a bit harder on the accelerator.

Anyone else noticed theirs doing anything similar? Is it something I should worry about enough to get the dealer to have a look?

Yes! I have had this also over the last 3 months or so (110 TDI)

It happens when in the first few minutes of driving, sometimes the car surges forward slightly but once the engine warms a little all is back to normal? All I can think of it may have something to do with the fuel system?

Same. I put it down to some over-zealous engine mapping or wondered if the Haldex gets the rears involved for pulling away and then blends it out as soon as you're rolling?

Ok not sure if the same thing as I wouldn't call it hesitation or a miss but mine has what I would describe as a slight kick from the rear. It only happens when pulling away and turning as you would at a junction. The car has been like this from new and has no uneven tyre wear. I always meant to ask on here but never got around to it. I always put it down to the haldex system.

Edited by servicepoint

Ok not sure if the same thing as I wouldn't call it hesitation or a miss but mine has what I would describe as a slight kick from the rear. It only happens when pulling away and turning as you would at a junction. The car has been like this from new and has no uneven tyre wear. I always meant to ask on here but never got around to it. I always put it down to the haldex system.

+1

Nice theory but...I have a RaceChip box too. In fact I was thinking of taking it off to see if it made any difference. Given that a number of other folks have noticed similar symptoms, I'm not sure it would.

The suggestion that it might be transmission-based rather than due to the engine is interesting. Up until yesterday I'd have agreed with BigHusky that it only happens within the first few minutes of driving, but yesterday evening it did it when the engine was warm, and in a straight line.

I'll try taking the RaceChip out and monitor it further. But it's looking like it might be time for a trip to the dealer :(

I've noticed an occasional surge/hesitation from time to time at very low speeds, but have never given it a further thought.

Not ever considered referring to a dealer, as it normally only happens when cold at low speed - probably when the choke is pushed in fully it might go away :giggle:

It is only a mechanical beast, subject to all sorts of possible problems. In the scheme of things, this is not really an issue. Modern vehicles are light years away from cars of only a few years ago, so I'm happy for what might appear to be a "niggle" to be considered reasonable behaviour for the value of a SM.

I haven't had the above mentioned symptoms at all, and it looks like it's only 4x4's so far, I don't know how old or how many miles your Yeti's have done, but since changing my air filter last week I have noticed a significant change for the better in engine performance. May be worth a look.

Mine also does this and has done since new, 42 K on it now and only 11 months old, I haven't asked the dealer about, be interesting to see what they say.

• 3 months later...

OK, here's an update. I took the RaceChip off towards the end of July and haven't noticed the hesitation since, covering about 1,600 miles. The car had its first service (on the variable servicing schedule) yesterday and, because I hadn't noticed the hesitation for a while, I forgot to mention it.

Predictably, as I was turning out of the dealer's forecourt, it did it again!

I plan to put the RaceChip back on in the next few days, and will try to remember to keep an eye on it after that.