Columbus TV in L&K Superb 2012

Hi Everyone,

Not seen a post on this non-issue on any of the forums but thought i better share it anyway.

On my Skoda Superb L&K 2012 i was tuning in the freeview at home and noticed that some channels had perfect picture but no audio (The looudspeaker symbol with a line through it comes up in the top left corner).

After a good 10 minutes of leafing through the not so helpful manual, i tried a bit of lateral thinking.

Failing to spot any menu items on the Freeview mode....

What you will notice that the channels that do work when you intially select them, the on screen display shows the channel name and to the right the audio channel number (in a working case "Stereo" will be shown).

When you have perfect picture but no audio you will note on the same on screen display, it says "Channel B".

This is because the Columbus is selecting the the second of the dual (bi-Lingual) audio sub carriers that go out with the normal audio.

To rectify this, whilst on a tv channel with clear picture and no audio but showing "channel B".......

Press the settings button on the bottom right of the Columbus unit.

Select "Video" then scroll down and you will see the audio option says "Channel B".

Change this to "Channel A" then press the "Media" button to retern to your TV display.

Presto, you should now have audio on not only that channel but all of the other bi lingual channels that didnt work!!

I now have 20 stored and working were as before i only had 7 with audio.

Thought i would share this as there is no instruction in the manual that you need to be on the affected channel first then select "Settings" then "Video" then change the Channel B to Channnel A.

Please note if yo are on a working channel that has only single audio feed and goto "Settings" -> "Video" you will notice the channel A option is greyed out.

Hope this helps you guys out.

• Like 1

Please forgive me if I usurp this thread just to ask a question...is it possible to watch a DVD on the Columbus in a new Elegance? Many thanks.

Please forgive me if I usurp this thread just to ask a question...is it possible to watch a DVD on the Columbus in a new Elegance? Many thanks.

Yes whilst stationary. Picture goes after moving faster than 5 mph - audio remains.

Yes whilst stationary. Picture goes after moving faster than 5 mph - audio remains.

Can you listen to TV while moving?

I always wondered why the TV audio was never broadcast on a radio frequency, I'd spend quite some time in the car and would like to be able to listed to some TV programmes.

Can you listen to TV while moving?

Yes, the audio remains - which, in the absence of DAB on the Columbus, means you can listen to all the digital radio stations transmitted over DVB-T instead :happy:

m.

I think the TV module is in the boot behind one of the side covers. Is that right, and do you reckon it would be easy enough to retrofit one without all new trim?

A photo would be fab if possible.

Edited by lowedb

Yes, that's the beast. So it looks like an extra bracket, a cover, and cut the corner out of the existing trim. very doable I reckon.

The Picture goes off because the CAN BUS is feeding data into the Columbus unit about the vehicle exceeding the speed of 5 Kmh.

(This can be changed to 300 Kmh so the picture stays on)

Edited by nczernus