vRS Grinding noise on start-up and for 10 seconds of driving - any ideas?

Hello all,

Just started up the vRS after having it sat idle in the garage for nearly 2 weeks due to having access to another car.

When I started it, it made an awful grinding noise like putting a can in between the tyre and frame of a bicycle (don't say you never did it as a kid!)

It was almost like the exhaust was blowing.

I pulled out of the driveway and after about 10 to 15 seconds of driving it stopped, I went for a spin round the block, got the engine up to temperature, got home, and haven't been able to replicate the noise or find the source of it.

Oil level checked on warm engine, it's fine.

No warning lights on dash.

Any ideas? Worth looking at?

Like a lazy hydraulic tappet? Mine sometimes does it (had a little "clack" in the queue at McDonalds the other night) - but there's 70k on my engine.

Other possibility is the VVT mechanism, maybe? I've heard they can sound "interesting" on a drained engine.

If its a one off, should be OK. If it starts doing it all the time, then get it checked out...

Sometimes get a similar noise when mine's been sitting in the garage for a few days unused, but only for like 1 second after i start the engine.

Used to get this even more with my old 1.2 HTP