rSAP or HFP - functions and ease of use with Columbus

I know the rsap debate seems to be endless and I am worried about choice of handset for rsap compatibility in my new superb - anticipated in Oct 2012.

So I thought, how about tacking the other way around...

Can anybody tell me there positive experiences with the Columbus unit and how their repestive mobile phones work?

ie can you get SMS or voice calls only? Emails?

Access to phone book through Columbus unit?

What is displayed on Maxidot

Is it any different using the MDI connection?

Etc etc

I suppose I would like as much function use as possible - but good reliable bluetooth firstly, then phone book access, etc..

I will also have the MDI - does this help for phones?

In an ideal world I'd like a iphone so that I can keep music and stream this also through the columbus unit.

Otherwise I will probably have a blackberry bold handset and an ipod - does this work?

Your experiences please.

HTH

I used a Nokia handset and rSAP on my 2009 Superb II Elegance. Firstly easy to configure, it automatically loaded the address book into the Columbus unit and was able to scroll through adress book make calls etc., with very few issues, other than I was tied to an rSAP phone which at that time was predominantly Nokia. I was quite surprised one day when a text popped up on the maxidot display and then was staggered to find I could respond (not that I ever did or would advocate). No Music, no eMail, nothing but a good old replica of a phone. I used the SD card slot for Music.

When speccing my 2012 Elegance I ordered the MDI option as a) I wanted to charge the phone on the move without wires trailing everywhere b)I now had an iPhone and wanted to play music etc from it as it always holds my current selection. On collection day, I set up a bluetooth connection in minutes to my new iPhone. I get the address book copied across, each time it syncs and generally operate it through the voice command system of the Columbus or through the maxidot display. Maxidot can display phonebook, dialled, received, missed calls etc., but No eMAILS, No Texts either on Maxidot or Columbus

Music through the MDI is great, fault free, manged via voice control (major functions) the only issue I have is that the MDI needs to be deactivated to use the AUX input, which I use for DAB radio connection.

In all honesty I thought the rSAP was better, but as I had moved to an iPhone and I neither wanted to crack the phone or fit new hardware, I am very happy to live with current set-up/

• 2 months later...

Hi i'am also interested in a phone that connects to my superb 11 plate with gms111,but on payg not bothered what phone it is, up to £100 want voice, texts, happy to here comments,got an

e2600 samsung but it's crap, will not connect half the time. suggestions welcomed.

In my MY12 Superb I have used the following phones....

1... Samsung 250i

2... Samsung 8300

3... Nokia X3-00

4... Nokia N8 (My current phone)

Both the Samsung had unreliable bluetooth connections in rSAP mode, but ok in HFP mode.

Both Nokia phones are 100% reliable in rSAP mode, never had need to use HFP mode.

However I have found it best to set Network mode to GSM.

Hope this helps

dcc might be a stupid question but any idea's how i make my e2600 connect in HFP instead of rSAP the only conection i can find for HFPis applications, bluetooth, skoda bt service list, but all I get is options to refresh,appreciate help.

Switch off remote sim on your phone should force your cars system to connect in HFP mode.

From my MY12 car manual...

Phone settings...

? Phone Mode - Toggle between rSAP and HFP mode

? Premium - rSAP mode

? Handsfree - HFP mode

Remember this is for MY12 car, I am unsure about earlier Superbs, maybe they only have rSAP mode.

Guess you could check this in the cars phone settings noted above to see if you have this option.

Hi DCC

From what I understand my car has the latest module under drivers seat module 5NO O35 730D, i've managed to get the phone to connect a few times, hopefully it might be ok, but I have to accept files on the phone every time I re start car, which is a pain. does this mean it's connecting in rSAP, also I have to voice tag each name in the address book on the maxidot, maybe thats the phone.

I have'nt noticed options to toggle from (phone settings) to rSAP mode or HFP mode, in the maxidot, but I'll look again, and I'll try turning off remote sim, on phone and see what happens.

My car is an superb se 11 plate with gsm11 and maxidot, with bolero.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes had a 4S, but with the limited connectivity options of HFP I decided to purchase something better. So yesterday I bought a Samsung galaxy S3 no problems and lots of fun far better than the IPhone 4S ... Drag and drop for importing music is brill never thought I'd move away from the Apple camp, but this phone does more and ticks all my boxes.

Also no problems connecting it via Bluetooth it connected with rSAP on first attempt.

:-)

Edited by RoDM

• 3 weeks later...

RoDM,

Interested to read that your Galaxy S3 has connected with no problems. I'm having problems with connecting my S3 with a Mar 2012 Superb Elegance Estate. Did you have to make any changes to the phone or car to get the connection including the phone book coming across?