7 seater drivers

On the lookout for a new motor as the octy has had its best days and growing family means needing some extra space. Is anyone on here an expert on the larger car as well as the smaller ones. Test drive an XC90 and enjoyer it so thinking of that as first choice but should I be looking at others (zafira, Smax anyothers?) budget is around 10-11k. Over to you my fellow briskodians and thank you in anticipation.

10=11k will buy you a very high spec, nearly new Zafira but they are showing their age now and are dated in all aspects. Im a fan of the Qashkai +2 and again 10-11 will buy you a decent model.

I was all set for a people carrier when my second child came along but felt a large estate was a better configuration for me. The boots are more practical, easier to park, dont feel oblided to pick every man and his do up to go to events and you can have a little bit of fun too without fear of the car flipping on a sharp bend!

Thanks for the reply, trying to find the nissan locally is like hens teeth (means it must be decent I take it) thought about a big estate but need one I can get three kids across the back in (3 year old, 18 month and baby en-route)

I'm a convert to the Honda FRV. The 2.2 diesel is a cracking engine and there's loads of room. I didn't want one of our three children in the boot, so the three across works very well. It means that when we're all in , we still have a boot. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm very impressed so far. Also, the build quality is amazing compared to the Skoda.

On another note, the handling is very good. It's wider and shorter than the Octavia, so it goes around corners as well, if not better than the vRS even with the arb on. Controversial I know, but I drive these roads every day and the FRV is pretty good to chuck around once you get used to the lighter steering.

I'll leave that one with you.

p.s. It's only six seats, don't know how many children you have.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great responses so far. Got 3 kids so far and was worried I wouldn't fit 3 across the back in most (I can't in the octy or the xtrail). I'll get on autotrader and peruse local garages for the recommended vehicles so far for a but if weekend testing and tyre kicking

XC90 is a good car but very expensive. Doesn't do well in the reliability charts.

A lot of the big 4x4s have 7 seat options but again are expensive to buy and run.

I'd agree that the Honda FRV is probably one of the best compromises.

SMax is a surprisingly nice car too.

I agree, avoid 4x4/SUV types as they will be more expensive to run (and not just in fuel) and handle worse. They make no sense to me unless you actually live on a farm.

The Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra are very versatile, you can remove all the seats and turn it into a van. They just aren't very stylish like some of the other options.

I'm a convert to the Honda FRV. The 2.2 diesel is a cracking engine and there's loads of room. I didn't want one of our three children in the boot, so the three across works very well. It means that when we're all in , we still have a boot.

This is the reason I'd not have a 7 seater car, but would instead have either a FRV or a big 4x4 with 7 seat capacity.

Not a fan of putting children in the crumple zone, or close to it.

• Like 1

My sister has a Mitsubishi Grandis Warrier DiD and loves it - really versatile, lots of toys and a VW engine. Has been a great car really but she has had a couple of issues with it - tyre wear (now sorted following full alignment and new tyres) and a knackered EGR valve...