Considering coilovers for Octavia RS

As topic says, i'm considering coilovers for my RS. It could be nice going a little lower than with the current 30/30mm lowering. I think i'm going for the Vmaxx setup, but do I need a pair of adjustable 'dogbones' if i'm going to use coilovers? Don't know if you're calling them dogbones in english, but here's a picture of what I call a dogbone :giggle:http://oem-autodele.dk/images/thumbnails/250x200/FFFFFF/images/508761_1.JPG

And for those of you considering to learn danish, they're called 'stabilisatorarm' in danish :rofl:

I call those drop links. As far as I can find there are no shorter ones available for the vRS but you don't need to shorten them.

Mine's lowered on VMAXX coilovers.

5629808128_0050cfbfca_z.jpg

537788_10150812099930901_1080546706_n.jpg

562144_10150812099695901_1247762068_n.jpg

303352_10150726710155901_251170550_n.jpg

It looks good but I don't like the ride very much, it's quite bouncy and harsh at low speeds (up to 60kph). At higher speeds it feels pretty good.

They have settled in a bit now after about 10,000km but I'm going to change to more expensive coilovers soon.

Guest BigJase88

Im running kw v1's on stock droplinks! Ride and height are bob on! Much like standard not harsh at all but no wallow through the bends and no front end movement on acceleration and braking

Complete transformation! Think they were only 550 for v1 basics!! All the octy needs

weitecs are fine. just protect them before putting on the car and if your that bohered like me strip it down once a year and clean them up and re protect. fit ne bearings n tops and jobs a good one lol.

glad i not usin the octy ne more lol.

kwv3 ready to replace the weitecs. if i can be bothered to do it.

you can get spray waxes.

dont spray the rubber parts or the tops /ends of the springs tho as if you do they squeek lol, then you gotta strip it down again and clean it off.

my mistake once, never again.

toolstation spray wax I used, light spray on leave to dry and it protects fairly well,

Had my Weitec's on for 3 years now and never had a single issue. Fit and forget.

I use the car every day so they've had a tough life too.

If you don't want the struts to go rusty on the surface then get the Inox V1's.

I call those drop links. As far as I can find there are no shorter ones available for the vRS but you don't need to shorten them.

Mine's lowered on VMAXX coilovers.

5629808128_0050cfbfca_z.jpg

537788_10150812099930901_1080546706_n.jpg

562144_10150812099695901_1247762068_n.jpg

303352_10150726710155901_251170550_n.jpg

It looks good but I don't like the ride very much, it's quite bouncy and harsh at low speeds (up to 60kph). At higher speeds it feels pretty good.

They have settled in a bit now after about 10,000km but I'm going to change to more expensive coilovers soon.

Rob i'm so happy for your comment on my subject. I obviously have some doubt in that Vmaxx suspension, 'cause it's in the cheaper range of suspensions. So i'll definately think about it when it comes to the Vmaxx. But hey, your car looks great!

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

When installing mine i just lathered the thread in copper grease and ran the adjuster over it to grease the threads! If they get stuck and i ever feel the pointless task of readjusting them (which i wont) i have some 3ft stillsons in the shed :o

My VMAXX still look good after 18 months on the car but we don't salt the roads here so that helps a lot.

Rob, VMAXX in pix, how much is the estate dropped by? initially and after settling?

Edited by G-slave

Very good guys, i'll go for coilovers then. I just know that some Golf mk4 requires adjustable drop links if you want to go low.

This is because MK 4(except R32) has completely different ARB and drop link set up. Golf ARB links are fitted to the wishbone, the VRS like R32, S3, TT and LCR are fitted from ARB to suspension strut and are longer but do not go anywhere near drive shaft like the Golf. The Golf needs shorter links on heavy lowering beacuse the driveshaft comes in contact with ARB if std length links are used.

There an no shorter links for VRS as none are needed.

Weitecs are a good choice for comfort, but do not go too low on them as you will suffer with harshness.

Mine also started to slightly corode and i covered in light grease to protect them. But I am fussy.. :giggle:

Upgraded to KW to get a fully shock/spring adjustment in the end, but not needed for most folks.

You will be impressed buddy with them.