Car parked for months

JeffD

Hi all, long story cut short. Yeti 1.2DSG has been parked up for about 6 months and appears to have a flat battery. Question, do I need do anything else other than charge the battery?

Thanks in anticipation.

Just the usual checks.

Tyre pressures, coolant, oil.

It's a pretty new vehicle so there shouldn't be any issues.

Just start her up and drive her normally to get the oil going round.

Phil

After changing the battery you will have some fault codes.

And a couple of lights will go on in the cluster. Drive it shortly (turn right and left, as it will be the steering angle adaptation) and the lights will go out, but a cuople of fault codes will have to be removed (if you want to have a clean scan).

I agree with TP, call Skoda Assist. I had the same problem with my Roomster, causd by me forgetting to unplug an LCD rear view camera. Skoda Assist arrived with their VW van, plugged a lead into a socket on the outside rear of the van and started it up! Left it running for a while then went for a longish drive and all was well.

My only reservation is if the battery has been discharged for any lenght of time it might be damaged and unable to take a charge.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I've just had a look through all the paperwork and realised that Skoda assist is free for the first 3 yrs, should have read it before doh. Battery has been on charge all day so I'll see what its like tomorrow.

Jeff

I know this is closing the stable door after the horse has gone but for anyone who might have to leave their car unused for a period of time, and who is able to leave their car attached to a power socket, I would suggest purchasing a battery conditioning unit. This will maintain the battery during periods of non use.

John

I know this is closing the stable door after the horse has gone but for anyone who might have to leave their car unused for a period of time, and who is able to leave their car attached to a power socket, I would suggest purchasing a battery conditioning unit. This will maintain the battery during periods of non use.

John

.. or you could buy a solar powered trickle charger to leave on the dashboard and plug into the 12V socket on the centre console (used to be the cigarette lighter) to keep some charge going in.

Guys this is now just about sorted. Skoda assist were brilliant, gave the car a good check over and applied a couple of "recall jobs" (Turbo and something else) He was was here for a couple of hours and had a problem clearing a steering fault light but sorted it eventually. He tested the battery 3 times and it came up with "Battery faulty, apply warranty" so a new battery is on order under warranty !That is a brilliant result.

The recall will be a shim for the turbo and an ECU software update.

Glad you got it sorted. Good that they've agreed to replace battery under warranty even though it has been sat for months.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yes he mentioned the shim and I think it was the ECU update. I don't think there was any discussion about replacing the battery, the machine thingy printed out a test fail, apply warranty ticket. S'pose that means no discussion needed. I'm not going to argue LOL

Jeff

Pleased to hear they have got your Monster sorted and back to full health again :)

Mines had a week off and probably won't be fired up for another day or two; hopefully she won't be a 'bear with a sore head' when I come to wake her up :rofl:

TP