Car Keys Stolen - A couple of questions...

Not wishing to pry, but how did they get the bag? Might help others for something to watch out for if you and the local plod are suggesting it's a regular thing: I know i'm a little blase when i'm out & about.

See this thread on Pistonheads where I had a bit of a rant the day after it happened:

http://www.pistonhea...ieving *******s

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll pay a visit to Skoda dealership first thing Monday to sort the keys out, and will keep my fingers crossed regarding the insurance - A serious lesson learnt by me though, not to turn my back for a second - Having spoken to other people out here in Spain, there is a LOT of it going on, apparently mostly by Romanians. They are targetting the beaches, and in particular parked rental cars - when we were in the British Consulate getting emergency passports there were quite a few people coming in that had everything stolen. One couple in particular that had just got to Spain with their elderly mother, parked at a Lidl to get a bottle of water, when they came out absolutely everything had been taken from their car - all they had were the clothes they were stood in. Really felt for them. I know this could happen anywhere, but I for one, will not be coming here again.

Edited by Mash

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and whilst it doesn't help you at this time, some friends who drive to Spain each year were driving on m/way and heard a loud bang. They stopped as did another car and whilst they were looking at the damage to the wing (caused by a crossbow bolt) the scumbags stole bags, cash, computer etc. They ordered new passports and they were sent to a local spot near where they stay. The courier van taking theirs and a couple of dozen other replacement passports was broken into and the new passports stolen.

Their insurance company found all sorts of small print to wriggle out of most of their claim. Local plod can hardly keep up with the number of robberies etc in Spain.

I would certainly think twice about driving in Spain, even in a hire car. This serves as a timely reminder not to let your guard down - even in holiday mood. Hope you get your problems sorted.

Was reading about that in the local english papers at the Consulate - seems that's a very common thing at the moment - We had an enormous sticker on our back window advertising that it was a rental so ripped it off straight away. There were also a few reports of Romanians (again) jumping in cars at the supermarket while they were being loaded up with shopping and driving off with the owners little kids still in the car. One was an Audi Q7 owned by some British woman loading up her shopping, the bloke jumped in and there was an 18 month old in the back. He just drove off and got caught by the police a little later - what did he get for it? A 2500 Euro fine. Unbelievable. I'd want him strung up by the nuts for that.

When I drive down through spain, all the luggage is in the boot and nothing is on show inside. We also tend to drive to our destination away from the main tourist routes, this year I drove to Estepona but avoided the usual route of Northern Spain, Madrid and south from there, but travelled Northern Spain, Salamanca, Seville and Down. Very quiet, almost no traffic the whole way. When we used to fly, the luggage was always first loaded into the car before anything else was done. We have been to spain every year for a long time, and driving it every year for the last 4 years. We are aware of these tactics and the police advice is that if you think its suspicious then do NOT stop, and drive to the nearest big town or police station.

This thread isn't inspiring me with confidence as we may be moving to Spain (Barcelona) in a couple of months!

Its happened for years in resorts & big cities, Cannes, St Tropez Benidorm etc have been rife, always targetting foreigners so as not to anoy the locals & local police to much. We all tend to load ourselves up with goodies & relax letting our guard down on holiday & become easy pickings. I would guess its the same to an extent in London although our CCTV culture may push the professional thieves to easier picking grounds abroad. Its a bitter lesson learnt but thousands get caught every year, we all need to be on our guard when abroad. Personaly Im more scared in the states where thieves carry guns

Those of you knocking spain, its a great place these days if you are prepared to venture from the big cities & tourist spots. If you love driving it has many fantastic empty roads with incrededibly good surfaces, all paid for with borrowed EU money but that shouldnt stop anyone enjoying them, after all we will end up paying for them one way or another :giggle:

What and you think ****e like this doesn't go on in this country anyhow?

Yeah, but they're pretty much targetting holidayers cos they're new to the country and more vulnerable.

Perhaps there're posts on a Spanish forum about all the bag thefts committed on them by the Poles in this country or summat!

When this happened to us in Barcelona the Consulate said we should let Easyjet know about the passports when we got to the airport and they gave us a British Border control form stamped by Easyjet which got us back into UK. Of course, we then needed new passports but didnt have to buy temporary ones in Spain. Have to say the Consulate and E-J were super! Arranged it all on the phone from our hotel.

We were hoping for that too, but were told at the airport that a few months ago this may have been possible but they've really tightened up the controls around this recently. Also, we have literally no photographic ID as all of our documents were stolen, including my wallet / wife's purse. There is literally nothing to say who we are other than those emergency passports. Ah well, back home tomorrow...

Yeah, but they're pretty much targetting holidayers cos they're new to the country and more vulnerable.

Perhaps there're posts on a Spanish forum about all the bag thefts committed on them by the Poles in this country or summat!

Why the Poles?

Most Poles who came to the UK did so to work. The thieving ****s that do that in the UK are likely the local population.

Been to Skoda dealer this morning:

£52 to reprogramme current spare key

£188 to get a new key and reprogram existing spare.

£408 (!) to change all locks, get new keys etc.

Insurance unfortunately doesn't have key cover, so will go down the route of getting the new key and reprogramming the existing one.

On a lighter note, our holiday insurance had better cover than we expected so sounds like there are some things that we can claim back (if they approve it), however we will still be VERY out of pocket.

So, big lesson learnt there chaps....don't take your eyes off your bags for a second, no matter how safe you feel, it could cost you dearly.....

Why the Poles?

Most Poles who came to the UK did so to work. The thieving ****s that do that in the UK are likely the local population.

Just picked a large community out the air, could have as easily been Chinese, Slovakians or Aussies as far as i'm concerned.

It's NOT where you're going. ;)