Samsung S3 and Columbus

As a proud new - but somewhat technologically challenged - owner of a Samsung Galaxy S3 'smart phone' (well, it's certainly smarter than me), I have had no success in trying to pair it via Bluetooth with my Columbus unit(which was perfectly happy with my previous Nokia E5). Is it simply that the Samsung phone postdates the Columbus software, or is there a way around it?

If your car is RSAP only - 2010 and earlier then you will need to buy an RSAP app for the S3 which will then let you pair it.

The Yeti is GSM 11 not RSAP like the Octavia & Superb were. No idea what it stands for though MacD.

To OP best to post this in the ICE, Security & Insurance area. More people look there as this isn't a specific Yeti issue!!!!!

To OP best to post this in the ICE, Security & Insurance area. More people look there as this isn't a specific Yeti issue!!!!!

Thanks - have now posted elsewhere as advised (but no replies yet!)

The Yeti is GSM 11 not RSAP like the Octavia & Superb were. No idea what it stands for though MacD.

RSAP stands for "Remote SIM Access Profile". A "profile" in this context is a set of functions which a device supports across a Bluetooth connection. Specifically, RSAP allows the paired device (in this case, the GSM module on the Yeti) to use the SIM on the phone to access the mobile network. The GSM II unit in the Yeti very definitely does support RSAP.

jrw seems to be suggesting that the Galaxy S3 doesn't support RSAP, which seems incredibly stupid of Samsung but does actually appear to be true, going by this web site. The author sells an app to implement RSAP on the S3, but why should you have to pay a further £7.49 for a function that a £400 phone really ought to have by default? (My £200 Motorola Android phone has it. It can't be difficult!) Also, you need to root your S3 to install it, which voids the warranty on your £400 phone. Grrr...

It seems that Samsung's flagship mobile phone has reached the technological pinnacle of not actually being able to make a phone call while on the move. Well done.

Edited by ejstubbs

RSAP stands for "Remote SIM Access Profile". A "profile" in this context is a set of functions which a device supports across a Bluetooth connection. Specifically, RSAP allows the paired device (in this case, the GSM module on the Yeti) to use the SIM on the phone to access the mobile network. The GSM II unit in the Yeti very definitely does support RSAP.

jrw seems to be suggesting that the Galaxy S3 doesn't support RSAP, which seems incredibly stupid of Samsung but does actually appear to be true, going by this web site. The author sells an app to implement RSAP on the S3, but why should you have to pay a further £7.49 for a function that a £400 phone really ought to have by default? (My £200 Motorola Android phone has it. It can't be difficult!) Also, you need to root your S3 to install it, which voids the warranty on your £400 phone. Grrr...

It seems that Samsung's flagship mobile phone has reached the technological pinnacle of not actually being able to make a phone call while on the move. Well done.

Thanks for the reply - it doesn't have RSAP - neither does the iPhone!

I have it on my S1 but they never put it on the S2 or S3.

As for voiding the warranty on the S3 by rooting it, it voids the warranty as much as filling my car with diesel voids the warranty!

As for voiding the warranty on the S3 by rooting it, it voids the warranty as much as filling my car with diesel voids the warranty!

Hardly. The owner's manual for your car tells you to put diesel* in it. The manual for the S3 doesn't tell you to root it. Anyone can find out how to un-root the phone and conceal any (known) evidence of having rooted it - but you wouldn't have to go to that trouble if people didn't know perfectly well that Samsung can decline service under warranty if the phone has been rooted. It doesn't mean that they will - for something like a pure hardware fault eg a broken screen** they might not bother - but under their Ts & Cs, they could.

A better automotive analogy might be if you'd had a re-map done, then then tried to make a warranty claim for an engine problem.

* It does specify the standard of diesel which you should use, and manufacturers have been known to decline warranty service if they believe that sub-standard fuel has been used. The Yeti manual specifically advises against using biodiesel, or diesel additives.

** It's also quite difficult to unroot your phone if the screen is broken.

Hardly. The owner's manual for your car tells you to put diesel* in it. The manual for the S3 doesn't tell you to root it. Anyone can find out how to un-root the phone and conceal any (known) evidence of having rooted it - but you wouldn't have to go to that trouble if people didn't know perfectly well that Samsung can decline service under warranty if the phone has been rooted. It doesn't mean that they will - for something like a pure hardware fault eg a broken screen** they might not bother - but under their Ts & Cs, they could.

A better automotive analogy might be if you'd had a re-map done, then then tried to make a warranty claim for an engine problem.

* It does specify the standard of diesel which you should use, and manufacturers have been known to decline warranty service if they believe that sub-standard fuel has been used. The Yeti manual specifically advises against using biodiesel, or diesel additives.

** It's also quite difficult to unroot your phone if the screen is broken.

Ok not a good analogy.

Here is another one.

You go to PC World and buy a PC with Windows 7 on it. You wipe it and install Windows 8 on it. Is the warranty void? I don't think so. All rooting does is give super user access often without modifying the ROM.

Only would the warranty be voided if you rooted and modified the ROM in such a way to cause the fault, such as overclocking the processor and frying it.

Simply rooting it in this case is to simply give the RSAP app access to take over your phone so it can access the phonebook and transfer the sim functions over to the bluetooth module.

JRW - you might not like, or agree with, the fact that rooting your smartphone voids the warranty, but that doesn't change the fact that it does indeed void your warranty. The thinking behind it (apart from giving manufacturers a reason to refuse repair under warranty and thus save a few quid) is that rooting the device can be dangerous, can go wrong and can completely "brick" your device. It's a risk you take when rooting. If you know what you're doing, the chances of bricking through rooting are very slim, but it can, and does, happen.

Installing a new OS on your desktop PC wouldn't void your warranty because no matter how wrong it goes, changing the OS can't burn out a harddrive, fry a media tray etc. That is what your warranty is on. If, however, you had a warranty covering technical software problems, and you ran into a problem installing a pirated copy of Windows 8, for example, then your warranty almost certainly wouldn't cover it.

But, just to reiterate, if you root your phone and it subsequently breaks down under warranty, you'd better unroot it before returning it or your warranty will be voided. That is a fact.

• 3 weeks later...

An update (1) because I know all of you out there really care about forum members' problems and (2) to show that I am not ashamed of admitting what a silly billy I can be!

My Samsung Galaxy S3 is now safely paired with the Columbus, thanks to my daughter (!), who innocently enquired whether I had Bluetooth enabled on the phone ... you can guess the rest!