MikeW

(to once and for all prove the issues of supermarket fuels giving lower MPG)

Isn't there a problem there of different fuel pumps (even different pumps in the same garage) being calibrated slightly differently for the cut off valves meaning you can never be 100% sure you have put exactly the same amount of fuel in? There's one particular pump at the Shell garage near me in Runcorn that, when I use it, fills the thing so much I can get close to 150 miles before the needle noticeably moves, yet with other pumps at the same station it's only 30-50 miles!

• Like 1

Interesting the returns you are getting far better than what my twinair is returning.

Any of you that are now running one could you send me some details of what you're returning, and type of driving etc.

Would be very helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Interesting the returns you are getting far better than what my twinair is returning.

Any of you that are now running one could you send me some details of what you're returning, and type of driving etc.

Would be very helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Yesterday i did an 80 mile trip to Rutland Water and back. Largely A-Roads, bit of town driving, plenty of hills, and a long time stuck behind a Royal Mail lorry. So, took it gently (perhaps too gently as the engine juddered a bit on a couple of occassions).

When i returned home i looked at the PID fuel consumption and it was 76 mpg!

Now, it would appear that the PID is a bit optimistic, but even if it is 10mpg too high, it's still brilliantly low consumption.

Interesting so far it sounds better than the twinair.. Mines only got 3100 miles on it so still a tight unit but so will yours be new.

Beginning to think that maybe a swap is on the cards.

Interesting so far it sounds better than the twinair.. Mines only got 3100 miles on it so still a tight unit but so will yours be new.

Beginning to think that maybe a swap is on the cards.

It is an interesting engine the twinair, but in just about every review I've seen they mention that the economy is far worse than the motor industry figures suggest.

What do you average?

It is an interesting engine the twinair, but in just about every review I've seen they mention that the economy is far worse than the motor industry figures suggest.

What do you average?

I love the engine its a hoot to drive but fuel is not great, but worse than my fabia vRS. Average over 3000 miles via the fuelly app is 41.6 which all town/dual carriageway so not as good as the figures state.

On the plus side the obc read out is fairly spot on lol

Well, i've just returned from a trip to Skegness from Leicester and back - averaged an indicated 72 mpg!

That's rather good!

Going to arrange a rest drive and see what deal the dealer will do.

Well, just had a journey around part of Leicester's Outer ring road. As anyone who's travelled around it before will know, it's a mixture or roundabouts and traffic light, and a speed limit 0f 30-50 mph. A 16 minute journey and the Citigo returned a claimed 73 mpg.

Well, "elegance 75", i DO think the PID is a tad optimistic with it's MPG readings - however, i have the 60ps engine- and with the stop start - so it's about the most ecomonic configuration of Citigo available.

agreed :)

Filled up for the first time today,as it said 7miles left. At the station to start with it said I had 365 miles, then when I got home said 380 which is much better.

What have people been getting range wise?

All of this is far superior to the twinair's return. Computer says 42.8 and worked out via fuelly is 41.6.

It's good to read that they are returning true figures near what's claimed. Shame that the fart cannot.

Filled up for the first time today,as it said 7miles left. At the station to start with it said I had 365 miles, then when I got home said 380 which is much better.

What have people been getting range wise?

Well, i've done about 600 miles since i picked up the car and have put in about one and half tanks full.

• 4 years later...

Hi all - a very belated Hi all.

Have just come across this thread, so I thought that it may be of a slight interest, if I was to put in my 2p's worth.

I've got a 75 bhp SE-L Elegance model, and which I've now had for 2 years - mileage is currently a little south of 12k.

I always check my consumption - as I was always told that a sudden drop in mpg was the first, & possibly best, indicator that "somewhere" something was wrong. 

Anyways, my experience, which is based on brimming the tank on each fill up, rather than going by what the PID says, & covers the whole range of driving, from running around the town, to longish trips at "sustainable" speeds, is:-

Overall -  the very high 50's to the very low 60's.

On a decent run, anywhere from the mid 60's to the mid 70's.

I'm not a head-down, arse -up driver, & neither do I ever redline the car, but I do occasionally go well North of 4,000 revs.    In other words, I drive "sensibly", & according to the cars' abilities.

As regards reliability, the car hasn't missed a breath in the whole 2 years.    It's not perhaps as comfortable as previous cars that I've owned (I've had some pretty exotic & very expensive Tonka Toys in the past) but £ for £ & overall, I reckon that the car is very hard to beat.

However, when I come to change the car in around one years' time, it will probably be another Citigo, but the 60 bhp, as unless one goes well North of 4,000 revs, there's no real benefit in opting for the 75 bhp.

Edited by Michaelski

Best mpg seen seen on the PID is current tank, 82.9 mpg over a distance of 321 miles.

currently using "Road Trip" app to record full - full figures. As you can see my mpg over 6,304 miles is 64.79 mpg.

IMG_8226.PNG

Edited by 777boeingman

Best tank full, PID showed 80.7 mpg, full-full calculated figure 79.0 mpg

This was over a record breaking 660 miles, using exactly 38 litres of fuel.

see the 600+ mile thread for full details.

image.png

Hi Theinsanity 123,

As one of the claimants to a reasonably high mpg, over 2 years, my 75 bhp Greentech normally averages around the very high 50's/very low 60's, with longer trips at a "reasonable" speed, giving very high 60's/low 70's.  BUT, I don't tend to hammer it (or even drive it "enthusiastically" - i just drive it in what I regard as "sedate driving" & I would never redline it etc) which just may explain why my mpg is better than yours.    When I have driven it for very small distances, & basically just around the local town, then the PID would show the low>mid 50's, although as soon as I move away from the stop/start, low gear motoring, it seems to revert back to the high 50'/low 60's.   I invariably have the PID set on Trip Computer each time I drive it, but for a more-balanced mpg, I always brim the car & check the amount of fuel used against the mileage.   Our No.1 son has a 60 bhp SE, and he too would appear to get the mid>high 50's, so it doesn't look as though you're alone in your mpg.  His motoring is more "urban" than ours, commuting to work & general running around, & using the revs much more than me, whereas being retired, ours is more gentile & rural, with longer runs in low-density traffic.

But the mid 50's is certainly not to be sneezed at: one of my neighbours has a Fiesta so-called sooper-dooper economy model, & he told me that he generally averages the very low 50's, and even the mid>high 40's in normal day-to-day running around.   The Citigo beats that hands down.      'appy motoring.

Enthused, and perhaps a bit challenged, by the consumption reports from the Citigo (not available in Australia although the Up! was for a short while but dropped due to poor sales) I took my high mileage 2013 Toyota Echo for a necessary 700km round trip into the country to see what consumption I could get.

The plan was to leave early and take the road less travelled to pootle there. Of course the plan blew out when I left late and had to take the main highway (without slow ferry crossing) and then realised that travelling much less than the speed limit was not an option when semi trailers and B-doubles are bearing down on you on a one up, one down highway.

To cut to the chase I managed a relatively pitiful 53mpg (calculated on refill).

Hats off to you guys and your Citigos.