Uprated SMIC? Another IC option!

Did a couple of logs today, max temp on abit of a flat out run without going to jail was around 87°

Sound about right?

Was around 35° normal driving.

However... We did find the boost leak!

Just logged mine tonight. 15c outside.

post-953-0-13867400-1442957695_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

60° is quite a good improvement nearly 30° knocked off. I'd be pleased with that I suppose.

What sort of temps would an expensive darkside FMIC show?

As for updates, I've only had two days free to do it and Jamie's been busy those two days so think he's giving it ago himself shortly.

60° is quite a good improvement nearly 30° knocked off. I'd be pleased with that I suppose.

What sort of temps would an expensive darkside FMIC show?

As for updates, I've only had two days free to do it and Jamie's been busy those two days so think he's giving it ago himself shortly.

A seat sport style one I logged the other day never went above 30c.

So for argument sake give or take about 3° or so...

Stock - 90°

Upgrade SMIC - 60°

Upgrade FMIC - 30°

You also have to think about time. These were only short 3rd gear blasts. Add a long B road brisk drive or 15 minute track session into it.

You also have to think about time. These were only short 3rd gear blasts. Add a long B road brisk drive or 15 minute track session into it.

Yeah, I think it will be best to just use my own logs for it really as I can drive it on the same roads in the same gear for the same amount of time etc..

I think for me as well, it is important to consider that this is a substantially cheaper alternative replacement to a stock intercooler from skoda, and with better connections.

You are also reducing the need for two circa £17 aftermarket connections as well if you want to make your own silicon intercooler pipework, which is not far off half the price of one of these intercoolers new.

I appreciate what you are saying faboka regarding performance, perhaps it isn't worth the effort if you were just taking that in to account.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

It's never going to be a track beast car with a SMIC anyway, like ash says.

This total kit together has cost very little, the standard intercooler is broken and the boost pipes are held together with cable ties currently, so this kit, which should be better performing is going to be a better, cheaper alternative to standard, so a no brainer really.

Have you guys put a vent in the wheel arch at all?

I do plan to vent the wheel arch when fitting the smic and pipe work, I have everything ready to go on just trying to find the time to fit it all, the only problems I can see is mounting the intercooler but I'm sure I'll be able to fabricate something up! And noticed the map sensor is sitting more forward so will have to extend that to fit! Other than that should be fairly simple!

Keeping a very keen eye on this. My side mount and pipework have seen better days and I don't really fancy messing about fitting a FMIC when it's otherwise standard bar a mild stage 1 map. If this does indeed work out cheaper than a stock replacement then it's a win/win! 

I should say, This isn't for the faint hearted.

I've fitted all the intercoolers now basically. Seat sport, THS, Forge and airtec.

This has been just as much hassle as a fmic.

We might have to alter the headlight plastic yet also as it was a tight fit before.

As hutchy said this has been a pain in the neck to get fitted! It is now on the car but I still need to make a few more mods for it to be sitting perfect.

See my build thread for more pics.

image.jpg

Edited by JamieFabia6Y

Would it be possible to use a 90 degree silicon bend out the top of the intercooler (like on a golf) and have the intercooler in a more verticle position to give more clearance?

I appreciate when looking at the car it may be obvious this isn't possible because of the clearance available.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Would it be possible to use a 90 degree silicon bend out the top of the intercooler (like on a golf) and have the intercooler in a more verticle position to give more clearance?

I appreciate when looking at the car it may be obvious this isn't possible because of the clearance available.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Nope that isnt an option im afraid, MIGHT be if you cut it right down short but basically we had to cut alot of plastic and things out of way just to get a 45 degree bend to fit.

we have a spare 90 degree bend left over so its somthing we could check when we do the snag list for the job.

im just looking farward to doing some logs and seing if its actually any better or not!

either way, we've lost nothing since his pipes were hanging off and hend together with cable ties and the intercooler had holes in it so needed to be replaced.