SKODA UK refusing to accept liability with injector recall faults.

Hi, My Skoda Octavia II 1.9tdi PD Elegance Estate's engine gave up the ghost yesterday with raised engine oil (mixture of diesel and oil in the sump) and broken injector! I'm waiting to hear from my local Skoda garage tomorrow to see if Skoda will pay towards to cost of replacing the broken injector. I've heard that the 2.0 tdi has had problems with the injectors but not my engine.

The injector recall affected only the 2.0TDi PD170 engine.

How old is your 1.9 TDi? Is it still under warranty?

Hi, Its on a 57 plate and has done 100k miles. I've not had the car long. The car has full skoda service history. Recently I had problems starting and Robinsons Skoda fitted new glow plugs. This seemed to solve the problem then on Saturday the engine gave up. I'd read that the 2.0TDi had had problems and was interested to see if any other members had any similar problems and whether Skoda offered to pay towards the cost of replacement.

Many thanks.

Did you buy the car from dealer - Skoda or otherwise?

How long ago?

Hi, I bought the car from a non-Skoda dealer back in June this year. Its had one owner and was a former company car. I didn't pay top whack for it. Perhaps I should have been more suspicious when I bought it. On the whole the car has been excellent. The fuel economy has been outstanding for a fairly large car and beats my old Avensis Tourer hands down. Its just a shame the injectors have failed!

Have just read this thread. I had the new injectors fitted on my vRS PD last year on a pre emptive basis by Skoda, at no cost. I was one of the first to get it done and involved Skoda UK etc. I have not had any problems until just lately sometimes when starting the car from cold it seems as though it is running on 2-3 pots for around 10-20 seconds. Is this related to the problems people are having since getting the new injectors fitted or totally unrelated??

Its due a minor service this week and was going to mention it so it would be good to be armed with some knowledge first. Also, are the problems due to faulty parts or fitting?

Hi, my local dealership have told me Skoda (In Czech Republic) will not contribute to replacement injector. It seems the injector on my third cylinder has gone. I've been quoted £800 for this work. Does this seem steep? My Local dealership are going to contact Skoda UK to see if they will contribute replacement.

It was interesting when I was in the dealership on Saturday when I brought my car in as the car salesman was showing a prospective customer/owner round a diesel Skoda Octavia and I heard him say that these cars are used by taxi firms due to their longevity!

Just to add, when I was having problems with starting my car recently there was no fault code showing at the time.

Does anyone know of members having similar problems (in particular the injectors failing) with a 57 plate 1.9 TDi engine?

I have not had any problems until just lately sometimes when starting the car from cold it seems as though it is running on 2-3 pots for around 10-20 seconds. Is this related to the problems people are having since getting the new injectors fitted or totally unrelated??

I'd say it's a distinct possibility it's related. Does it sound like mine?

Yeah, very similar. I will check to see if it smokes like that but am sure it will because of unburnt fuel. What is the problem then? Faulty 'new' injectors? Bad workmanship when fitting the new ones?

Have just read this thread. I had the new injectors fitted on my vRS PD last year on a pre emptive basis by Skoda, at no cost. I was one of the first to get it done and involved Skoda UK etc. I have not had any problems until just lately sometimes when starting the car from cold it seems as though it is running on 2-3 pots for around 10-20 seconds. Is this related to the problems people are having since getting the new injectors fitted or totally unrelated??

Its due a minor service this week and was going to mention it so it would be good to be armed with some knowledge first. Also, are the problems due to faulty parts or fitting?

Some more bedtime reading for you...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/189502-cold-start-problems-with-a-pd-tdi-170/

It seems to be not a very common failure on the 1.9. This is the first I've read about one.

Just as an update Skoda UK and my local dealership have agreed to reduce my bill for the injector by 30%. I hope they do a good job and I don't have any problems after fitting as other members seem to have experienced.