Oil filter

Afternoon all. Hope your having the weather were having to day in Lincolnshire. Anyway to the problem im having...

Doing an oil change on my 57 plate Octy II VRS petrol and all was going well until i came to remove the oil filter. I havent got a 36mm socket so im using an adjustable and i cant budge it for the life of me. It says 25nm on the filter and its way over that so my guess is the dealership Mechs have a-grollied it on, b-not put any oil on the seals or c- all of the above. The block is cold now so it shouldnt be an issue of heat. Anything im doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Yes thanks for the heads up martziniuk. I didnt put too much presure on with the Spanner and gave up in the end. Going out tomorrow to get 36mm Socket from Halfords with the trade card. and booke23 I think with how tight this filter housing is on, even if i could get a strap wrench around it i think it would slip. I should have had a look to see how to take the filter out before I started, you live and learn i guess. Thanks for the replies.

I noticed after a service recently that the oil filter cap had some sort of grease oozing out from the threads of the cap.

Obviously the dealer had greased the cap to make removal easier next time.

Does anyone have any idea what spec of grease this was, it looked quite dark, greyish...?

I noticed after a service recently that the oil filter cap had some sort of grease oozing out from the threads of the cap.

Obviously the dealer had greased the cap to make removal easier next time.

Does anyone have any idea what spec of grease this was, it looked quite dark, greyish...?

He just dropped it on the floor and couldnt be bothered to clean it lol

I had to get my foot on the ratchet and socket to get the filter housing off! Whoever put it on last is a numpty. Anyway, first octy oil change complete, next discs and pads.

That will be 25 numpty of square torque!? A common measurement of a garage that can't be a**ed!

I had to get my foot on the ratchet and socket to get the filter housing off! Whoever put it on last is a numpty. Anyway, first octy oil change complete, next discs and pads.

We'll be hearing from you again then when you get to the rears lol Edited by 07 vRS Taxi
  • Like 1