Sad farewell

I believe it was an old Peugeot, as you say it does make you question what is important, they think the speed at impact was between 40 - 45 mph.

If it was doing 40-45 mph I would have expected a lot more damage to the rear of your car.

Hope you are all OK in the end & the blood lawyers fight your corner for you

Hmm, hardly think nobody's "hurt" if they have to take the roof off to safely get them out. Not sure if that's the reason why insurance is going up, far more likely to be the attitude of this:

Don't get me wrong, but nobody is massively hurt, to the point of life threatening.

I've had a big smash and walked out of a car a lot worse that that, with only a few cuts.

I just don't see any signs of a significant impact, that would have caused the top to come off.

I know the fire service will have cut the top off, so they can't be sued later for back injury (where your second point comes in).

What I don't get is surely the driver/passenger got out at the point of impact to deal with the other driver?

There is no deformation.

I know how bad whiplash can be and not suggesting the person isn't in pain.

As for insurance costs going up, again the claim claim claim types do put it up, but writing off a 20k car for 1k worth of damage by taking the roof off can't help.

Don't get me wrong, but nobody is massively hurt, to the point of life threatening.

I've had a big smash and walked out of a car a lot worse that that, with only a few cuts.

I just don't see any signs of a significant impact, that would have caused the top to come off.

I know the fire service will have cut the top off, so they can't be sued later for back injury (where your second point comes in).

What I don't get is surely the driver/passenger got out at the point of impact to deal with the other driver?

There is no deformation.

I know how bad whiplash can be and not suggesting the person isn't in pain.

As for insurance costs going up, again the claim claim claim types do put it up, but writing off a 20k car for 1k worth of damage by taking the roof off can't help.

If you mention anytthing relating to a potential spine / neck injury the authorities go into super "just in case" mode & will cut the car up

Re damage this is an Octy test at 64 kpm ( 40 mph ) into the front which is the stronget part of the car

Ok in the test it hits a solid object etc etd but if the other car had been doing 45 mph the Octy would have shown a few more signs of the tap IMO. STILL everyone is OK which is all that matters

If you mention anytthing relating to a potential spine / neck injury the authorities go into super "just in case" mode & will cut the car up

Re damage this is an Octy test at 64 kpm ( 40 mph ) into the front which is the stronget part of the car

Ok in the test it hits a solid object etc etd but if the other car had been doing 45 mph the Octy would have shown a few more signs of the tap IMO. STILL everyone is OK which is all that matters

Agreed the main thing is non of us suffered life threatening injuries.

However the front of the car is designed to crumple far more than the rear which is where we were hit. A smashed bumper and a twisted chassis may not look to serious on first looks but I can assure you my back at the moment is significantly worse than damage caused to the car.

Once again thank you for all the supporting comments.

Agreed the main thing is non of us suffered life threatening injuries.

However the front of the car is designed to crumple far more than the rear which is where we were hit. A smashed bumper and a twisted chassis may not look to serious on first looks but I can assure you my back at the moment is significantly worse than damage caused to the car.

Once again thank you for all the supporting comments.

I fully understand, having had somebody rear end me when I was stopped and they were in a 30 zone, which was a dead end.

Maybe the black just hides it well, and I certainly know the pain you can suffer from such instances. Will have to see if I can find the pics.

The rear is still designed to deform, although a lot less than the front (In terms of obvious deformation).

Usually I expect to see the bumper pretty well bent and a new crash bar required.

It's just a shame to see people apply the destroy a car, just in case, when realistically, a neck brace and onto a board would probably have been ok. (Although I'm not a doctor, so feel free to tell me I'm talking ****)

At the end of the day, it's probably related to the sue everyone culture, but it doesn't help.

Long and short though, is that even if the car was chopped, with no real reason, nobody is in hospital or worse.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Where is the other car?

It was French. Go outside, there will still be bits of it landing everywhere in the UK.

Best wishes to the OP and passengers for a full and speedy recovery.

From someone that's been rear ended, it hurts and I for one would not take any chances.

Yes I'd agree cutting the roof off is excessive but better to be safe than sorry.