[Resolved] DRL ON even when the switch is on OFF position ?

Hello,

I've activated DRL through VCDS.

However, even when my lights-switch is turned OFF, it's still working ?

is it possible to have DRL :

- working only in AUTO position ?

- turned off when light switch is on "O" position.

- stop working when all other lights are turned on (this is how it works for me right now so that's ok)

Thank you.

(Octavia II FL late 2011)

Edited by Budykiller

Your DRL's are working as they should be right now. Various clues in the name but DAYLIGHT running lights are designed to always be on in daylight.

They are not designed to be an extra light at night becuase they are simply too bright. Those vehicles with DRL, they will always dim by around a third when any other lights are switched on as it is assumed it is low light and the actual daylight light is no logner required.

At the moment DRL's can be activated/deactivated as you have found. As cars are required to get type-approval since January this year you'll find new models will appear with DRL's and there will be no way of switching them off as it will be a legal requirement to have them.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to configure them in the ways you have described:

1. Only working in AUTO position - That is not DRL's as in Auto position your lights wouldn't come on until dusk, so then you'd be using DRL's as a night light

2. Off when light switch is in "O" position - Probably during the day, so once again they would then not be DRL's and I'm assuming ocne more you'd be attempting to use them at night where they would be too bright

3. Stop working when all other lights are turned on - That could be a possability, you say that is how it is now. On most cars the DRL's simply dim when all otehr lights are switched on, but tend not to go out.

There is an option in vcds - central electronics

Look for - daytime running lights on with adaptive lights only ...

(something like that) it s towards the end bytes of the long coding helper in central electronics.

Isn't it the case that for pz811's suggestion to work there needs to be a different switch on the dash to that installed on most models? I'm sure in the handbook there is a sketch showing a fourth position to turn the light switch to, which doesn't appear on my model.

My own DRLs are on until the side lights or main beam are switched on, at which point the DRLs turn off. You may see some people with their side lights AND FOG LIGHTS turned on which gives the impression that the DRLs work in conjunction with the sides, but this isn't the case as it is the fog lights which they've activated. Can't speak for vRS models however.

Ok just to argue a little :

- i'm not looking for a design effect.

It's just that DRL are using more fuel. When i'm coming to my office, i only have a few miles to do, and it's not necessary to have DRL, believe me.

However, on a long trip, i would like to have it because YES, i need others to see me well. That's why i would like the OFF position to work.

Last thing, that will make others laugh about :

- your in winter. Parked with your girlfriend for example in a supermarket parking or whatever. You need a little heat so you start your engine to let the climatronic rise the temperature of the vehicule.

If you do that with DRL turned on each time ignition is on, you will just be like a merry-go-round at night. lol, not so good to make "your things", know what i mean ?

Isn't it the case that for pz811's suggestion to work there needs to be a different switch on the dash to that installed on most models? I'm sure in the handbook there is a sketch showing a fourth position to turn the light switch to, which doesn't appear on my model.

My own DRLs are on until the side lights or main beam are switched on, at which point the DRLs turn off. You may see some people with their side lights AND FOG LIGHTS turned on which gives the impression that the DRLs work in conjunction with the sides, but this isn't the case as it is the fog lights which they've activated. Can't speak for vRS models however.

No, that's not the case ...

I have the standard auto switch ... With four positions

Off, auto, sidelights & headlights

And I'm very sure that atleast the fl doesn't have any extra switch on the dash to operate the drls.

Also I would just like to add that inorder to have what the OP wants you need a headlight with auto position.

Well, it appears one man's "standard switch" is another's non-standard switch, as mine only has the three options: Off, sidelights & headlights.

I was however hinting that what the OP wants would indeed require a switch with a fourth option - which you have confirmed.

Edited by Rab-k

"It's just that DRL are using more fuel."......seriously?!?!??!

as for turning off the DRLs, u can disable them via the maxidot, under "Settings - Lights & Vision" menu, there is a "Dayl. dri. light" option/tick box. uncheck it, and the DRLs will be disabled.

be57de99.jpg

vcds will allow u adjust the brightness.

vcds will also allow u to enable the "dim with indicator on" feature.

- @JR RS : i activated it with VCDS and unfortunately i still don't have the option in maxi-dot. Even with that, it's less user-friendly than having to switch OFF all the lights

- @pz1811 : yes, i do have the 4 positions switch : 0FF;AUTO;sidelights;headlights

- @fuel consumption for others : www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/UK/FS_DRL.pdf (see "Does DRL have any disadvantages ?").

Anyway, please help us discussed about a solution maybe with VCDS. My main point is not fuel consumption. DRL are cool. :)

You don't need Maxidot or VCDS to turn the DRL's on and off.

Read the manual. It details the procedure in the manual which involves operating the indicator stalk in a certain way...

Deactivating the function daylight driving lights

– Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel up to 3 seconds after

switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it to the bottom and hold

it in this position for at least 3 seconds.

Activating the function daylight driving lights

– Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel up to 3 seconds after

switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it to the top and hold it in

this position for at least 3 seconds.

"It's just that DRL are using more fuel."......seriously?!?!??!

as for turning off the DRLs, u can disable them via the maxidot, under "Settings - Lights & Vision" menu, there is a "Dayl. dri. light" option/tick box. uncheck it, and the DRLs will be disabled.

be57de99.jpg

vcds will allow u adjust the brightness.

vcds will also allow u to enable the "dim with indicator on" feature.

My Maxi dot doesn't have the Coming/leaving function,

" Do you have auto lights, rain sensor etc ? "

Thanks Andy

I have the standard auto switch ... With four positions

Off, auto, sidelights & headlights

Well, it appears one man's "standard switch" is another's non-standard switch, as mine only has the three options: Off, sidelights & headlights.

Rab, you have the standard switch: PZ did say he has the standard auto switch. If you have the light/rain sensor, you can upgrade to the auto-switch for not a lot of dosh and 2 mins of VCDS coding,

- @fuel consumption for others : www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/UK/FS_DRL.pdf (see "Does DRL have any disadvantages ?").

Yeah, er, they're talking about using dipped-beam chewing up your fuel economy in that "article".....

Dipped-beam DRL has an overhead of 3%

Special DRL lights (21w) reduced that overhead by 50%, i.e. the overhead now stands at 1.5%

LED DRL reduces that overhead by 90%, leaving 10% of 3%, i.e. the overhead is 0.3%

(The estimation at 5W per lamp is an excessive one too, so even 0.3% overhead is in excess.)

If you're getting 50mpg, this means that running DRLs would only be getting 49.85mpg.

More damage to your economy will be done by having the tyres incorrectly inflated. ;)

If anyone *really* wants to worry about DRLs and fuel consumption, empty the car of rubbish and lose a bit of weight ;) ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for all everybody !

Solution in post 3 works like a charm. You must have the 4 positions switch however (the one with "AUTO").

I can now switch off everything with the "O" position.

Thank you so much !

Eh, you've lost me, with the switch in '0' position the DRL's should be on.

If they are off when the headlight switch is on '0' then you have deactivated them.

• Like 1

Eh, you've lost me, with the switch in '0' position the DRL's should be on.

If they are off when the headlight switch is on '0' then you have deactivated them.

No, "O" means "OFF". Without DRL, if you have your light-switch on the OFF position (the first on the left), no lights are working at all. Nothing.

On sidelights, only sidelights are working.

On Headlights, ony headlights / sidelights are working.

By default, if you activate DRL (with separate dedicated light in fog housing), it works anytime ignition is on. I thought this was annoying because as a human, OFF means OFF. So no lights at all.

If you have the "AUTO" position (with light sensor / rain captor), lights are switched on / off automatically. You can tell VCDS that you want your DRL to only work when your light-switch is in this position (auto). As a result, the "OFF" position will no longer activate your DRL and works like it should.

Off position, no lights at all.

Yes this reminds me when Porsche did a really lightweight GT3 ,and the front badge was a sticker to save weight , The original weighed the same as a packet of crisps , ( not family sized ) :rofl:

Ah, I understand now.

Nice feature.

I'm guessing for those without the 'Auto' setting then they have to revert back to the method in post #12 to turn their DRL's on/off.

Yes this reminds me when Porsche did a really lightweight GT3 ,and the front badge was a sticker to save weight , The original weighed the same as a packet of crisps , ( not family sized ) :rofl:

If they were truly in for saving weight, they'd have engraved the badge into the bonnet, saving even more weight ;) ;)

• Like 2

Ah, I understand now.

Nice feature.

I'm guessing for those without the 'Auto' setting then they have to revert back to the method in post #12 to turn their DRL's on/off.

That's it. If you don't have the AUTO mode (rain captor / light sensor), your only choice is to deactivate them through Maxidot, or with the stalk indicator, or even with VCDS if you don't want them anymore

Mandatory on new models not new cars.

The Octavia MkII was in production prior to the legislation so although the facelift MkII has them fitted Skoda was not obliged to fit them.

Hence they aren't fitted to all Octavia's as standard (only the Elegence, L&K & vRS).