vauxhall at-6 six speed automatic transmission (new)

sharkrider

Hi, I'm, trying to help out one of my pupils, and want to know if this new automatic gearbox from vauxhall is a twin clutch box like the DSG or a (horrible) single clutch box like the current toyota box...

all I can find on a search is there was a semi automatic box with a "jerky" change according to some reviews, so that would be single clutch (automated manual)

BUT I don't know if this is the new current box.

the vauxhall website has NO details whatsoever, and they haven't replied to my e-mail....

so if any of you know, Thanks! :)

Shark

they replied to the e-mail..

Dear Mr Turner,

Thank you for your recent enquiry. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service and are committed to providing you with the most accurate and suitable information.

The automatic transmission of the Mokka is the GM 6T40 transmission, which is a dual clutch but in the form of a clutch to clutch system

Most of our customers tell us the most important part of their purchase experience was driving the vehicle. A Vauxhall representative can arrange an appointment for you by calling us on:

0800 953 1617

Monday-Friday 8am-Midnight

Saturday 9am-Midnight

Sunday 10am-Midnight

Alternatively you can request a test drive online using the following link:

Request a Test Drive:

If you want to be mighty impressed. The Ford Powershift box is dual clutch and in my experience, far superior than VAGS DSG. Most of the motoring press agree too. It does come with a price tag though.

• Like 1

havent really read much on the ford poweshift... mostly the press seem to be pro ford... I don't know if thats because they dont live with them a long time, but after my experiances at the AA drivivng school, I have never had a more unreliable make of car.. I had 4 new focuses in 3 months! it was appaling. when I did get one that worked it fels like a bag of nails at 13k.... my 110k fiat felt newer...

I'm sure the tech is there. the 1.0 ecoboost engine (indeed all the new range of ford engines) seem pretty impressive on paper, and for the hacks to drive....

to be honest they are probably pretty good, just a shame my only experiance has been bad... (but then some have a bad skoda experiance too)

and with a price tag? you can get a vRS fabia for less than a standard diesel fiesta........lol..

I actually don't know anything about the vauxhall, cant find any reviews.... only doing this to help out a pupil... if he wants a car that drives like mine, he will want a twin clutch gearbox.

renault are producing their own version, only gearbox available with the new clio RS...

its the way forward :)

• Like 1

The early ford powershift boxes were terrible but they have improved the clutch packs in them now so they are abit better but still find them abit jerky compaired to a normal auto,

Really interesting to strip down and replace the clutch packs on though

If you want to be mighty impressed. The Ford Powershift box is dual clutch and in my experience, far superior than VAGS DSG. Most of the motoring press agree too. It does come with a price tag though.

Not the press articles i have read. Nearly always the VAG DSG is considered the benchmark. Ford hardly sell any powershift boxes in their cars and maybe there is a reason for that.

It still makes me laugh when people claim fords build quality is on par witht he germans.....it simply is not. I have access to several mondeos, focus's etc and the internal buld quality around the dash and central transmission tunnel is appalling. Whole sections of interior can be moved around by hand or depressed with one finger, the same is true of the kuga i tried also. I dare say they are good to drive, i thought so to, but the quality is terrible and eveyone in the company i work for who owns one has had numerous electrical problems with their cars. They dont car about this as they are company vehicles but it would drive you nust if you bought it with your own cash. My cousins s-max just cost them over £2000 in garage bills a few weeks ago when away on a family holiday, yikes.

I havent heard any negative commenst in the press about VAG DSG boxes and maybe fords new ones are better than before but i seriously doubt it is better than the DSG box and i havent read anything in the press so far to back that up either.

In my experience of having one for 3 weeks, it is slightly superior. The hesetancy at roundabouts and juntions is not there. It was also much easier to control reversine up my very steep driveway. As I mentioned though, it does command a very expensive price tag. Im a big fan of Fords, having have 3 brand new ones in the last 10 years. They are the only margue to have never been back to the dealer for any problems, just a routine and very reasonably priced service. If I was in the market for another auto ir would be a Ford Powershift.

• 3 months later...

I've just had a Galaxy TDCI with Powershift on hire. To me, it seemed to behave more like a traditional auto than DSG does- more slushy-feeling at low speed. It also seemed a little too keen to change down with a whisper of throttle. Not at all bad though.

• 3 years later...

Got to get in on this the VW group has two DSG gear boxes 6speed wet and 7 speed dry now after having both gear boxes the wet clutch is better andcsmother and does not have the issues. The seven speed dry is normally on the 1.4 petrol tsi 1.6 diesel engines and the 6 on the 2.0 diesels the wet is best

Nor ford power shift also borgwarner geasr box same as the VW but its a six speed dry and its notna patch on the VW wet but its better than the drive

fiat DCTbalso Borgwarner dry its OK

Now PSA they have several gear boxes EAT EGT EAT is a traditional automatic with a torq converter its good the EEGT often seen in the 1.6 hdi is an automated manual and it bloody awful it's not an automatic

Vauxhall well the astra and insignia diesel use a six speed traditional automatic gear box

The corsa and Astra have easytronic (automated manual)its crap or traditional four speed auto.

Mercedes G7 tronic is and advanced torq converter type and its fantastic the year change is great.

Honda CVT great once you get use to the hummmmm

So far the Borgwarner DSG is the best daul cluch and Mercedes the best traditional.

I drive Powershift and DSG all the time.

Comparing 6 speed wet clutch the Powershift allows a bit more slip and the DSG feels crisper, the Powershift does have a little more hesitation at junctions.

The powershift does have issues with heavy loads and quite a few on the towing forums have experienced judder at high engine loads on hills

Got to get in on this the VW group has two DSG gear boxes 6speed wet and 7 speed dry

VW group (For VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda) actually has a 6 and a 7 speed wet clutch and a 7 speed dry clutch for transverse engines then has another 7 speed wet clutch for longitudinal applications in Audis

and Mercedes the best traditional.          

Not a chance. The 7 speed Merc Auto is universally slated, it has relatively slow changes, is slow to react to down changes and to manual control inputs. Merc's new 9 speed conventional auto is better but it still can't match the ZF8HP.

The ZF8HP (Longitudinal engines) is widely regarded as the best conventional torque converter auto and is fitted by many manufacturers including BMW, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Porsche, Jaguar, Range Rover, some VAG vehicles and many more.

The ZF box is crisp, has lightning fast gear changes and instant response to manual input. It's in a different league to 7 Speed Merc.

Lee

Good thread revival after 4 years plus.

I expect sharkrider has owned and driven a fair selection of cars since 2012.

As to post #13

DQ200 7 Speed Twin dry Clutch gearboxes are in the 1.0, 1.2 & 1.4 TSI and performing pretty well now that 

VW have sorted out the Quality Control of the Clutch Packs, put in Mineral Oil rather than the problematic synthetic oil, 

and sorted out the software, and now increased production of them in the CZ plant.

I like the Alfa Romeo TCT in the Mito,

not so much the TCT in the Renault Clio RS, and later this week i am getting a loan of a Suzuki with their Twin Clutch Automated Manual.

The Ford Focus ST2 Estate DCI Powershift i drove a couple of weeks back was really good IMO.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 1

Now I liked the Clio TCT box. The new 200hp Clio should be good fun with it in. Add in the artificial sound generator of the Clio V6 and it's all good.

It was 200ps, then the Trophy is 220 ps but still not as good as a DSG IMO,

just not as simple and straight forward, Stick or paddles, D,S or Manual.

(why take 2 bottles into the shower then figure which setting you need for temperature.

So with the DSG, get in Just turn the key, move the lever  and go.)

but its each to what they like. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

From what I've read the GM 6T40 is a torque converter gearbox.  I've just got a 2017 Astra with the 6 speed auto and it drives like a torque convertor gearbox, hardly notice the gear changes and it certainly isn't as jerky or gear confused as some DSG cars that I have driven.  in the engine bay, there is what I presume to be a gear box oil filler pipe.

Vauxhall use another type of automatic, usually with the lower displacement engine, which is an automated manual.