Mid Wales Meet - Saturday 22nd September - Elan Valley

richardsfavorit

Probably can be done quicker, thinking about it. I think we took that long when we did it before, but we stopped for a few chats about how to use the 4x4 "tools" plus we stopped for lunch and photos.

It's probably 20 minutes by road to the start of the lane, then nearly 20 miles off-road.

If you go to Google StreetView and search for Clearwen Dam that will take you to the stat of the lane, which is on the right hand side of the dam. It then follows the right side of the lake to the end, where we turn around and come back again.

Probably can be done quicker, thinking about it. I think we took that long when we did it before, but we stopped for a few chats about how to use the 4x4 "tools" plus we stopped for lunch and photos.

It's probably 20 minutes by road to the start of the lane, then nearly 20 miles off-road.

If you go to Google StreetView and search for Clearwen Dam that will take you to the stat of the lane, which is on the right hand side of the dam. It then follows the right side of the lake to the end, where we turn around and come back again.

Yep, done that on my motor bike.

Cheers for the replies. Im glad a few more are coming!

I have seen the track by the dam although it probably won't be suitable for lower cars! You might just get a car along it if you were careful, although as I haven't had mine for too long I don't think Im too keen for it yet!

So currently -

1. Richardsfavorit

2. Llanigraham

3. Chrisw880

4. Th3 PR0ff3CY

5. Hairball (Hopefully, TBC)

6. Shmike

It is not the widest road/track up to the dam and there are passing places anyway. You should be ok even if your car is lowered unless it is kissing the tarmac!

I parked at the visitors centre on my bike and didn't notice or even look for a parking ticket machine. :giggle::whew:

Edited by Danny 57

Yes the roads around the dams are fine and up to the Clearwen dam is ok, just the one round it is probably not the best for cars! I have only walked 1/4 of a mile down it and its a bit rough!

Yes I was suggesting to avoid the parking charges by parking just round from the visitor centre - go over the bridge. Then we can walk up to the visitor centre when everyone has arrived for a bit of lunch.

Might be up for this

Was supposed to be going down west for the weekend in the caravan, but if the weather is fine might just make this.

Never been to the Elan Valley before but from what I've heard its supposed to be lovely

Will also enable me to do part of one of my favourite routes in reverse

Up thought the A4069 in the Black Mountains, around Llyn Brianne Reservoir and through the Irfon Valley on the way !!

1. Richardsfavorit

2. Llanigraham

3. Chrisw880

4. Th3 PR0ff3CY

6. Shmike

7. Korban (May Be)

Used to go camping at a site right by Devils Bridge - lovely area.

Karl

Thanks for the reply. The attendees currently as follows -

1. Richardsfavorit

2. Llanigraham

3. Chrisw880

4. Th3 PR0ff3CY

6. Shmike

7. Korban (May Be)

8. Jame I

Original plan was to drive to Devils Bridge and stop for a drink at the railway. However we could split into groups, those with Yeti's could go off roading and those with cars press on?

Original plan was to drive to Devils Bridge and stop for a drink at the railway. However we could split into groups, those with Yeti's could go off roading and those with cars press on?

Or those with cars park up and jump in the Yeti's when they go off road ;)

Glad you had a good run, Danny. Weather was superb!!

Three Yetis were in attendance and four Fabias.

After meeting at the Elan Valley Centre for coffee and lunch

ClaerwenYetis003_zps632e68a7.jpg

we had a discussion and it was agreed that we Yetiists would take the Fabiaists on a little adventure.

We drove up the first part of the Elan Valley and then turned off to Clearwen Dam, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claerwen) where we parked in the car park

ClaerwenYetis004_zpsb3ff1974.jpg

We then drove the length of the Claerwen Lake, turned around and drove back again, stopping to admire the view on the way

ClaerwenYetis007_zps98762d69.jpg

ClaerwenYetis008_zpsb67c99e7.jpg

ClaerwenYetis009_zpsf11d022b.jpg

We happened upon a nice little quarry that gave a chance for some "photo oppurtunities"!!

ClaerwenYetis015_zpsb26d4b95.jpg

Not so obvious from that side is how the white one is parked. This is a bit better

ClaerwenYetis010_zps10991c04.jpg

but this really does show it

ClaerwenYetis014_zpsc3329e48.jpg

Tried a different positions:

ClaerwenYetis020_zps1359f53e.jpg

ClaerwenYetis021_zps737e2840.jpg

ClaerwenYetis023_zps77aebc86.jpg

Great day, so thanks to Richard and everyone else.

Just got home and as the photos suggest, had a great day out, nice to meet you all too.

I had no choice but to park on the end or I wouldn't have been in the picture, the wheel on the other side gives a good indication of how the Yeti would look if it were lowered! I am sure one will be posted.