Puncture!

James I

Well just back from a week in the Highlands, Yeti performed really well, big roof box on and I got 37 mpg with a huge 50,000 miles on the clock after 12 months!

Anyway, first day on holiday I got a puncture in the offside rear, no spare so out with the pump and the gunk, I tried to inflate the tyre first without gunk and to my surprise the hole in the tyre was a monster! I didn't bother with the gunk, just rang Skoda assist, out they came and he had a really good plug kit, he plugged the tyre and we went to the nearest kwik fit where I had a new tyre fitted!

Reason for my post is that I want to get a plug kit but can't remember what it was called, have you guys got one? It was a really quick fix and the wheel stayed on the car whilst he plugged it.

Killy, that's the one he used, he just used the bradawl tool to make the hole bigger, he then took a plug, placed on the insert tool, covered it in glue and pushed it through the hole/puncture, the glue was all over the place, he waited five minutes and inflated the tyre, quite impressive.

BUT at £72 would it be cheaper to get a skinny wheel from a breakers yard, oh and a jack and a wheel brace :think:

Thanks for your help gents.

BTW TP, it does feel like I live in the car at times, all part of the job though and it isn't a bad place to be...

Had all 4 tyres replaced about 4 weeks ago, being a lease tyres are included in the cost. Just as well as Kwik Fit decided to fit MICHELIN Primacy HP's at £235 a corner!

A week later we drove to Devon and back and covered many miles seeing the many sites in this wonderful part of Britain. I checked the tyres when I got back, all was well, until 2 days later the drivers side rear tyre was flat one morning. Kwik fit found a nail on the shoulder of the tyre, and it had to be replaced! (again, luckily at no cost to us)

I remember measuring the depth when they were first put on which was, and still is 7mm. Including the 1st set of Dunlops and the winter tyres I purchased thats's 7 punctures in the 27 months of ownership! Is it me or is that a bit exessive?

Had all 4 tyres replaced about 4 weeks ago, being a lease tyres are included in the cost. Just as well as Kwik Fit decided to fit MICHELIN Primacy HP's at £235 a corner!

A week later we drove to Devon and back and covered many miles seeing the many sites in this wonderful part of Britain. I checked the tyres when I got back, all was well, until 2 days later the drivers side rear tyre was flat one morning. Kwik fit found a nail on the shoulder of the tyre, and it had to be replaced! (again, luckily at no cost to us)

I remember measuring the depth when they were first put on which was, and still is 7mm. Including the 1st set of Dunlops and the winter tyres I purchased thats's 7 punctures in the 27 months of ownership! Is it me or is that a bit exessive?

That seems excessive to me - how many miles are you doing? I had my first Yeti for 33 months and 27,000 miles, including off road work, and never had a puncture. (I'm touching wood now!). Also - a nail usually means the tyre can be repaired?

Seems excessive to me too, the puncture I mention above is the first in 9 years! I have all my cars on three year leases, and in the last three cars I have never had a puncture, A Passat, An A4 Avant and a 5 series BMW.

I guess it is just luck or it may have something to do with where you drive your car on a day to day basis. 7 punctures is a lot.

Went out to take Gladys for a drive on Saturday, rear nearside tyre flat as a pancake! I pumped it up but it has gone down again.

Of course being bank holiday no tyre shops are open round here. So it will have to wait for Tuesday. Pump it up again and try and get the 7 miles to the shop. I did think about calling Skoda assistance, but I wasnt sure if they came out to change tyres?

....Skoda assistance.... I wasnt sure if they came out to change tyres?

I sincerely hope they do! I'm just about to suspend my 40-odd year AA membership because of complimentary Skoda Assistance on the new car, and AA (bless them) have dealt with three tyre emergencies for me.

Went out to take Gladys for a drive on Saturday, rear nearside tyre flat as a pancake! I pumped it up but it has gone down again.

Of course being bank holiday no tyre shops are open round here. So it will have to wait for Tuesday. Pump it up again and try and get the 7 miles to the shop. I did think about calling Skoda assistance, but I wasnt sure if they came out to change tyres?

They came out to me, I said so in my original post, the guy was more than happy to sort out my flat and get me to the tyre house, he said worst case scenario if it was Bank Holiday he could have brought a tyre and fitted it but not balance it, this would have to be done later.

That seems excessive to me - how many miles are you doing? I had my first Yeti for 33 months and 27,000 miles, including off road work, and never had a puncture. (I'm touching wood now!). Also - a nail usually means the tyre can be repaired?

Depends where it went in.

The Kwik Fit I go to make it quite clear that they make no money on lease car customers, I have had a rebalance done a few times and they don't even log it as a job!

I also believe the lease companies are screwing down on spending too, I have been sent away with 2mm tread and told to come back at 1.6mm!

I also had an Audi A4 that went for the 80k service, cam belt was not changed as leaseplan would not authorise the work, I prayed for it to snap! But it was eventually done at 125,000 miles when the car had one month left on the lease, so they spent a fortune to sell the car on, they are mad!

I've done 26500 miles so far, and yes the nail was in the outer edge, I figured it would be a replacement job! My dad's been driving for over 40 years in various cars (currently has a Toyota avensis estate) and he literally drove all over the North east in his previous job with very few punctures. I may have to invest in a motion-detection camera as I'm pretty certain now the various screws and nails in the tyres are being deliberately placed there? We are on-street parking, and I literally have to check each tyre before I drive the car.

Many thanks for saying that Skoda Assist would come out to take off my wheel with a puncture. It absolutely poured down on Monday (bank holiday in Wales, of course!), so I asked for a nice RAC man to come out on Tuesday morning. He arrived, early, and changed the wheel in 5 mins - would have taken me a lot longer than that.

So my first experience of driving at 50 mph on the Spacesaver spare. I drove all the way to Milford Haven (15 miles) to my usual tyre shop, and didn't exceed 50 all the way. It took a while but it did mean that i achieved 52.5 mpg!

Luckily the puncture was repairable, so it only cost £10 as opposed to a new Dunlop SP Sport at £160+ :sun:

Edited by MikeWales