Looking at buying a vRS

Hello.

I have just registered on this forum mainly because I am looking at performance estates and although it could be a slightly biased viewpoint I am seeking abit of reassurance/advice on what to look for. I currently drive an Alfa 159 Ti 2.4 jtdm saloon. It's a bit of pride and joy and I love the looks however we now have 2 youngsters and boot space is imperative.I was looking at the 159 Sportwagon, but they don't have an engine that tickles my fancy. It's either 1750cc or 2.4 again which is a bit of a heavy lump.

I still want a bit of performance though and looking at my 58 plate Alfa it's really well spec'd and I think I can get a good trade in price for a relatively low mileage vRS petrol. What are people's thoughts on what I am thinking? The vRS estate looks great value for money and I am sure I won't feel it's a downgrade from the Alfa. I would even be tempted by a revo map later too to add some clout.

I was doing around £17k miles last year so the diesel was working out however now looking at 7-8k so the need for a diesel isn't as great and would like to go back to petrol. The trouble is, I only have 2 main extras that are a must- blue tooth and heated front seats :0)

Not many of the cars I have seen offer full leather and heated seats, so I called a dealer last week and he called back to say they can retro-fit heated seats for me. Not sure if this is something most dealers can do easily or whether this dealer is going out of his way for a sale. He's a little way from me but it might be worth the journey to get the spec I am looking for.

Cheers,

Iain

I'm used car hunting at the moment. I won't get my wallet out until

I find the car I want with the spec I want.

You'll only end up wishing you did if you don't.

• Like 1

Heated seats waste of time, I had a Lexus with them , only used them twice, Don't go for leather then you wont need the heated seats , Skoda s leather is crap anyway, You can retro Bluetooth(parrot) as above get xenon's, you will struggle to find one with leather and heated seats, my mate had one without leather but heated seats, save the dosh saved for lowering and a remap

i have the heated seats on mine - love them. I've just ordered a new vRS and ticked that box too. When its sub-zero they are just fantastic - I would not now have a car without them.

They are a pretty rare option though - not many used vRS around will have this. I would just buy the best car you can then look to get the heaters retrofitted - either OE bits or an aftermarket kit.. ditto bluetooth - a fiscon kit is invisible and works just like OE for a few hundred quid and easily retrofitted.

I've had alfas in the past - nice cars and I did consider a 159 1750Ti recently but they have a very small boot (fourhundred and something litres?) compared with a vRS wagon which is just massive.

ditto on the above. I had a range rover and found driving in the snow with the windows down and a nice toastie bum a very pleasing experience! I remember driving up to Montrose two winters ago; there was so much snow all the motorway traffic was queued up in the outside lane. I went crusing past all of it; heated seats on windows down listening to classical fm :D

Not much tops a range rover comfort wise for getting from a to b. It's a good feeling knowing you can get anywhere whatever the weather and still feel like your sitting in your armchair.

Just a shame about the running costs and the height otherwise I'd have one as a taxi!

I waited a few month until I found the right second hand vrs. Black leather with heated seats which I know will come in handy.

Back in 09, after looking around, first at an octavia vrs (The one I sat in just felt tired and drab) then 100 other cars, I finally booked a test drive for a 159 Sportwagon at Epson; entered dealership cheque in hand (so to speak). Their Car wouldn't start.

A Sales person from the 'skoda side' of the dealership came over and asked if that was my Fabia Vrs outside and was I looking for something bigger. It was and I was. He casually explained that anything else sub £35k would be crap, if I was used to and liked the Furby. I sat in a stock vRs, he then showed me the LE brochure and 'promised' me I wouldn't regret it - so bought one, £17k including fitting of Bluetooth kit and rear bumper beepers.

The Vrs is faster, more reliable, better boot space, better leg room front and rear and holds it's value better than a 159SW. The leather seats on the LE are soup herb; can't comment on non LE Octavia leather. For the few months of the year (if in UK) that you want the heated seats, buy yourself a heated seat cover / matt; the Octavia ciggie lighter in on all the time and some covers have a timer (or you can fit one between cover and lighter) so the seat is nice and toasty even before you start the car on the frosty morning - without a timer you can buy one for £12 on Amazon, just an option. Mostly even in the UK, black leather seats are too warm if anything!

Since purchase I have added a sound proof kit, had a superchip (gratis) and the more I own the car the more I adore it. It is the first new car I have had in 15 years that I didn't give back after 2 years. What's more; coming up to 4 years of ownership I can't see anything on the market that comes close. On long stable trips I push 60MPG, with easy Motorway acceleration, 50-70+ is a joy! The boot is a wonder of tardis technology. The passenger won't lose his legs in a collision, even with a 3 year old in a child seat behind them - something I am fairly certain a BMW 3 series or Merc 2xx passenger couldn't agree with; nor will all but your tallest of passengers hit their head.

Since new I have only had a DPF sensor go (post warranty) and a MIF from the Crappy Crawly Down people. Who also MIFed my Furby, Twice. I should have known.

Buy a Vrs and do it before VAG cripples the Octavia to sell more Passats and A4's.

Last bit. Honestly, with two kids, just look in the 159 boot, look at the leg room; then look in the Octy. Then wonder what is under that enormous beak-like bonnet that takes up so much room but delivers so little.

Got to be honest - I've driven a convertible (with leather seats) in the winter with the roof down (heaters on and side windows up) because it was nice and bright overhead, and never felt the need for heated seats. Seriously, I can't see them as anything other than a complete novelty.

Each to their own I guess......

Last bit bit. I actually adore heated seats (Though rate them well behind heated mirrors, which is on my must have list). If you are up in the dark, morning after morning and have even the most meagre trip ahead of you morning after morning having a warm bum and a warm cup of coffee is what's needed. Not this fancy flim flam driving on a winding winter road with the windows down. I don't live in car advert land; I want to be warm and relaxed.

A luxury: yes. A novelty: not at all.

(Strange though I have driven vast distances in the snow, up to the arches...daily, in a B reg Renault 5, and a C reg Maestro, 20 miles each way and later 100 miles each way but not quite so snowy in a G1 Tigra. None had fancy ESP, powerful engines, heated (anything) and yet they undertook trips the Octavia couldn't dream of without a tyre change) Or perhaps haldex... and some nice plastic trim.

But you guys who have leather seats have heated seats, you need them maybe on leather because it is too cold in winter, or too hot in summer, unless you have a Lexus with air cooled perforated leather with fans in summer, you just don't need them on the Alacantra. Also the LE has lovely seats, but not Skodas, they were retro fitted at the docks, same for the SE Fabia

Heated seats waste of time, I had a Lexus with them , only used them twice, Don't go for leather then you wont need the heated seats , Skoda s leather is crap anyway, You can retro Bluetooth(parrot) as above get xenon's, you will struggle to find one with leather and heated seats, my mate had one without leather but heated seats, save the dosh saved for lowering and a remap

Leather is nice but i wouldnt pay for it. If you have leather then heated seats is a must. Personal choice.

Personally i think xenons are the biggest waste of money you can spend. I have had xenons on two cars. They came as standard so i never paid extra for them. They are far brighter within the permitted zone that dipped lights can illuminate but seeing as the height your headlights can operate at is limited then you still dont illuminate any farther down the road than normal headlights. Seeing more of the road illuminated ahead of you i.e further away is what you really need. I have never felt that i needed the area directly in front of my car brighter as i can see it perfectly well. I have never witnessed better vison on an unlit motorway through using xenons compared to halogen lights in any of my cars and the cars i have been in. Only full beams give the desired effect. Never ever have i not needed full beams because the xenons were sufficient so whats the point? They look good but as they cost a fair bit i would never waste my money. High beam assist would be a better option in my opinion but i have never used this and it probably isnt an option on skoda anyway.

Off topic, sorry, but i have a real bee in my bonnet about xenons. Leather though i would have by choice but only if was already on the car or on it as standard. The other halfs current car and last car both have / had leather and seat heaters. Seat heaters are essential and very nice.

Bluetooth:

You can retrofit an OEM kit as a lot of people on here have done (including myself). Its the priceier option but there are plenty of alternatives - Parrot or Fiscon to name a couple.

So thats a least 3 bluettoth options which are easy to arrange. If the dealer can retrofit heated seats its a piece of **** for them to retrofit OEM bluetooth.

Heated Seat:

They are great. Ive had them on a coupl of cars and I really do use them all the time in the winter (and it helps my bad back, lol). You will finr it hard to get hold of a vRS with factroy fitted heated seats. They were an option that hardly anyone spec'd. As you have found out there is the option to retrofit them.

Look for the best car you can and if it doesnt have the 2 must have options you require retrofit them.

The Octavia vRS is a great all round family car and once you take one for an extended test drive I think that will make your mind up. From a value for money perspective nothing comes close. They arent the best at everything but they are very good at most things.

I mainly use country roads with virtually zero cars on, each to there own, but I can see rabbits and hedgehogs that I would not see with halogens, many people with halogens use fogs to try to see a broader spectrum , if your full beam did not illuminate further down the road than your xenon's, then one of them was sett wrong, mine certainly do :happy:

OK boys your a bad influence! I'm thinking of holding out for the right spec one. There appears to be a lot of chat surfacing on the new mk3 next year so it might be time for me to negotiate hard and get a low mileage vRS mk2 this year with xenons and as my Australian mate calls them...'arse warmers' retrofitted or with full leather. I guess warranty could come with these for a couple years too? I'd be keen to run a stock one for a bit to enjoy it and then make a call in to Revo for a bit of stage 1 action. I bet it's a nice performing wagon mapped. I had a Cupra K1 Revo'd before i bought the Alfa but i think the vRS is the same as the FR?

OK boys your a bad influence! I'm thinking of holding out for the right spec one. There appears to be a lot of chat surfacing on the new mk3 next year so it might be time for me to negotiate hard and get a low mileage vRS mk2 this year with xenons and as my Australian mate calls them...'arse warmers' retrofitted or with full leather. I guess warranty could come with these for a couple years too? I'd be keen to run a stock one for a bit to enjoy it and then make a call in to Revo for a bit of stage 1 action. I bet it's a nice performing wagon mapped. I had a Cupra K1 Revo'd before i bought the Alfa but i think the vRS is the same as the FR?

Last bit bit. I actually adore heated seats (Though rate them well behind heated mirrors, which is on my must have list). If you are up in the dark, morning after morning and have even the most meagre trip ahead of you morning after morning having a warm bum and a warm cup of coffee is what's needed. Not this fancy flim flam driving on a winding winter road with the windows down. I don't live in car advert land; I want to be warm and relaxed.

A luxury: yes. A novelty: not at all.

(Strange though I have driven vast distances in the snow, up to the arches...daily, in a B reg Renault 5, and a C reg Maestro, 20 miles each way and later 100 miles each way but not quite so snowy in a G1 Tigra. None had fancy ESP, powerful engines, heated (anything) and yet they undertook trips the Octavia couldn't dream of without a tyre change) Or perhaps haldex... and some nice plastic trim.

My last Octy (TFSi VRS) was terrible in the snow. in the end I gave up trying to control it up my hill and settled for the 'floor it in second and let the ESP sort it out' approach as anything else simply resulted in more wheelspin or ESP block anyway.

I'm hoping the derv will be better but not optimistic. Will probably just avoid driving it in such weather.

Heated seats, as I say, I just can't get excited about. In most of the cars I've owned which had leather seats the heaters warmed up quick enough anyway. The last VRS didn't have leather but the current one does so maybe I'll change my mind come winter but I doubt it. I think one reason is I'm always too hot anyway and so to have under arse heating would just hack me off.

I mainly use country roads with virtually zero cars on, each to there own, but I can see rabbits and hedgehogs that I would not see with halogens, many people with halogens use fogs to try to see a broader spectrum , if your full beam did not illuminate further down the road than your xenon's, then one of them was sett wrong, mine certainly do :happy:

If on ulit roads with no cars then i use full beams. Even with xenons i did the same which makes xenons pointless. Halogen dipped beams and xenons do the same job just that xenons are brighter but they both illuminate the same range. If xenons were worthwhile then you wouldnt need full beams. For the price i would never pay for them. Had them on audi and mitsubishi and they were pants.

:D so because xenons are not as bright as full beam that makes them worthless? ;)

Are you not missing the whole point that xenons give you a better view of the road in situations where main beam isn't available?

:p

:D so because xenons are not as bright as full beam that makes them worthless? ;)

Are you not missing the whole point that xenons give you a better view of the road in situations where main beam isn't available?

:p

You are not reading my post properly. On unlit roads you still need full beam whether you have xenons or not. Therefore whats the point of xenons? Xenons never gave me a better view of the road than my cars with halogen lights do. On unlit roads with no oncoming traffic xenons alone are no where near enough to see far enough ahead, if they were then cars with xenons wouldnt need full beams.

Read post carefully im only comparing normal halogen dipped beams to xenon dipped beams. There isnt enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost. Its part of an MOT test which dictates how high you dipped lights shine. Xenons do not shine any higher than normal lights therefore do not shed light further down the road. That is why cars are fitted with full beams. i have had 2 cars with xenons so have 1st hand experience of them and their limitations. They offered no advantage over normal lights in my opinion well at least none thats worth several hundred pounds of my money.

If you like your xenons then great but as far as desirable options on the OP's car i think leather is woth a lot more than brighter headlights especially for me although i still wouldnt pay for leather. Maybe im just too tight.