Used to be an engineer in the UK, moved to Scandinavia and found out that in this country the car registration tax is phenomenal!

I'm now working for a huge Indian company and defiantly not an engineer!

Up until February this year I would never have been seen dead in a Skoda - feb 1st my brand new Superb arrived and if I'm honest it's the finest car I've ever owned.

I'm always laughing as I reckon I'm the youngest person in this country driving a Superb Combi as whenever I pass one their always Greenlines driving my guys 10 years my senior!!

Anyway my Mrs loves it cause of the space and the little one goes up to it every morning and kisses it (she is one) so I think I picked the right car!

• Like 1

Nothing engineering with this owner, a Veterinary Surgeon, and old fart.

Came to Skoda courtesy of an 87 year old mother who pointed out the Yeti and it's off road button as a way to help me NOT get stranded half way home up a Welsh mountain in the snow, and having to walk 4miles home in the dark with nobody knowing where the old fart might be, or which ditch he'd slipped into.

Three years (almost) later of faultless, inspiring, enthralling Yeti driving later the car that, actually, had always attracted me appeared in Sinclair Skoda's showroom as a cancelled order. They offered me extraordinary money for my 54k Yeti in p/x for the Superb Estate 170 Elegance in 4x4 guise, and so - here we are.

Important points on both cars were value for money, economy, and enough space to stash musical instruments and PA system amps and speakers that are needed for the various bands and gigs playing all points of the compass from Stratford to Newbury, to Cardiff, to Shrewsbury, Birmingham and Edinburgh. True tarts, we play where we get paid! Lol.

That - and a daily commute over the Brecon Beacons in all weathers.

Electrical/mechanical engineer, come Train Driver. I don't have a Superb, but an Octavia. However, like all Skoda owners I've been subject to being looked down at, or the taxi driver jib for getting one. But nothing fills me with more pleasure than to correct these feckless snobs that they're Audi or Vw shares every inch with my Skoda, including the factory floor :D

Electrical/mechanical engineer, come Train Driver. I don't have a Superb, but an Octavia. However, like all Skoda owners I've been subject to being looked down at, or the taxi driver jib for getting one. But nothing fills me with more pleasure than to correct these feckless snobs that they're Audi or Vw shares every inch with my Skoda, including the factory floor :D

If I may say so - if that's your skoda then it's heaps better looking than my Superb in my eyes at least. I actually wanted a car that looked exactly like yours but alas they don't have the VRS here :) probably not the best threat to post this in :)

If I may say so - if that's your skoda then it's heaps better looking than my Superb in my eyes at least. I actually wanted a car that looked exactly like yours but alas they don't have the VRS here :) probably not the best threat to post this in :)

Lol yes that's mine. I haven't taken my own photos yet due to appalling weather, but that was taken by the dealer.

I must buck the trend, im a proper engineer started life as an Architectural Technician drafting on a proper old school drawing board straight edge on Transparency paper etc. Then moved on to Designing Comms Systems for the M.O.D and civilian CCTV systems and now im a design engineer of structural steelwork for highways but also a certified Microsoft Systems engineer so i tick most boxes. However the Superb for me is butt ugly. Its the rear end it just doesn't do it for me im afraid. Plus as a bit of a petrol head the handling and performance is more important for me than comfort and toys. Therefore the only option has been 3 consecutive Octavia VRS's. I prefered the old superb to the new one design wise if im honest. That said if they made a powerfull 4x4 version with a turbo'd engine i'd be all over it like a rash regardless of its misgivings from an aesthetic point of view. I realise not everyone will agree with my view but i thought i would just put a spanner in the works of the Engineer = Superb theory. And i was genuinely interested in who purchssed the superb because i thought it was a car without a target market given the Octavia's coverage.

I'm an Area Design Consultant.

I like the feeling of choosing something thats a little different to the normall Golf/A3/Passat/Mondeo/Focus/Astra etc crowd! I also have a feeling Skoda are simular to Volvo & Saab for being off side from the mainstream buyers eyes. I love being a Skoda owner! :)

I think 'men' might be the answer?

I guess the vast majority of Superbs will be bought by men. Or it may just be that women are less likely to drop by this forum?

Don't recall all that many women posters.

I guess the vast majority of Superbs will be bought by men. Or it may just be that women are less likely to drop by this forum?

Don't recall all that many women posters.

Loads that drive Fabia's although i guess some like my missis get their fella's to sort the car so any tech questions typically get asked by the blokes. Not really a good indication of demographics a forum TBH. The Engineer theory seemed to be quite a good one. But i think in reality the link is more down to people with an interest in High build quality great design and common sence which happen to be at the ethos of any good engineer but also many other professions.

Another Engineer here. After my leased Octy was written off on the M4 I suffered with an old 5-series for a few months before deciding that a new Superb was the best way to go :)

It definately is not badge snobs who buy Superbs.

I have had a woman looking down her nose at me in disgust as she was getting out of her BMW 1 series at the same time as I was getting out of my beautiful Superb. A 1 series, isn't that only marginally better than an Astra? :smirk:

I had another guy in a poesey red Audi A4 avant licking his fingers and doing a one nil gesture in the air with the kind of smirk that only an Audi driving badge snob can have. We were sitting opposite each other at a mini roundabout.

I got out of my car when at a large carpark outside Argos where a few of the younger employees were out having a fag. They basically heckled me. But I kept my cool. When I came out with two large bags, one in each hand,I made a concious effort to make sure I could also press the electric tailgate button in perfect timing for me chucking the heavy bags in. Total silence from behind me. :devil:

I have came to the conclusion that it is not badge snobbery but blatant 'car envy'. :rofl:

Edited by smiffy64

....well none of those you are talking about can understand that Czech companies were let´s say frozen for nearly 45 years of their development in some Nazi and Russian terrarium for 45 years. There couldn´t be any development or business evolution. In a way of understanding if you have financies and you´re able to collect very smart people around who want to beat for theis success, you can rise from the dust. The only issues for Skoda are 1) concern business limits 2) thinking of people that everything from the east is trash.

I bought Superb2 estate for my personal use in diplomatic area and half people are looking at me as you describe. What? Skoda? What for Jesus? Maybe rather big pleasure car I like than small BMW 1er for same money. Secondly I am paid from Czech taxes here, so why not support people who work hard in Mlada Boleslav and Kvasiny for Skoda?

PS: look at Seat - has the same oportunities as Skoda. New Toledo is rebranded Rapid built in Kvasiny, Seat´s development is stagnant few recent years....

K.

Edited by Kazimir80
  • Like 1

Kazimir80

No offence...but.....eh?

I know we have a wee bit of a language conversion problem here.....but your conversion from czech did not work.

But I think I can get most of your meaning though, and I can translate it further to .... LONG LIVE SKODA :rock:

What? Skoda? What for Jesus? Maybe rather big pleasure car I like than small BMW 1er for same money. Secondly I am paid from Czech taxes here, so why not support people who work hard in Mlada Boleslav and Kvasiny for Skoda?

Especially the 'What for Jesus?' part. It is maybe a bit hypocritical for a Scottish guy from Fife.....but I lost you there :giggle:

Our Scottish accent and slang gets criticized quite a bit on forums, even by fellow Scots. Quite often the English probably do not have a f#**ing clue what I am on about. :rofl:

ok, I thought it will be worse with phrasing ;).

I meant like "Jesus Christ what did you buy Superb for?" Specially "Jesus Christ" is commonly used in slavonic as "Oh my sweet Lord" in UK.

Edited by Kazimir80
  • Like 1

Kazimir80

I totally understand mate!

I have to say...I totally respect you taking your opportunity to fly your Czech flag when it comes to SKODA.

You should be especially proud, as we all are of owning one of the best and underrated cars on the market today!

Edited by smiffy64

I really like the Superb2. Design is my heart pleasure, including it´s riding capabilities. Don´t like recent Passat design and all the standardization of design - asi presented recently, the FL won´t be any personality stuff. Just only missing 70l tank. Comparing to passat or A4/A6, just I wouldn´t pay 1/3 more for the same car setup. I am proud for Skoda, that the guys did maximum possible - Czech skills, improvisation, ideas and passion and german skills how to manage the big company, business and technology. It´s not silly building of cars somewhere in the field, it´s much more magic in it.

I am just sorry that Tatra didn´t succeed likewise many other industry Czech companies. Past is past, but we can learn from our times and I am glad in many ways what are these days about.

PS: thanks for confidence of Czech products :)

• Like 1

Czech skills, improvisation, ideas and passion and german skills how to manage the big company, business and technology. It´s not silly building of cars somewhere in the field, it´s much more magic in it.

Yep...I know exactly what you mean....bear with me...

What you are saying is that SKODA do nothing else but show commitment and understand completely what they must do to compete even amongst their sister companies to keep themselves seen as major contenders in the European car market.

That is exactly what I can translate and relate to quite easily when driving the car. I can see that a lot of thought, innovation and passion has been applied to the design and implementation of the Superb.

I can also see (or assume) that SKODA insist that the dealer and service network also treat the customers with respect instead of insulting their intelligence as some other manufacturers seem to do.

SKODA obviously want to be perceived as a quality and professional manufacturer and that 'strikes a chord' with me.

GOD...I am starting to sound like a SKODA fan boy. :blush:

Edited by smiffy64
  • Like 1

Thanks mate :)

well just avoid the services in Czech Republic, the youngsters early from school and some depressed by actual situaion in CZ are sometimes too lazy to take all the care needed for your car. :( Not all but many of them.

As I discussed with my colleagues recently about SuperB purchase, and they were telling me that Czechs are even not able to construct single diesel engine and the cars are de facto VW in another coat, I did a small review and found two wiki articles very capable in facts for inspiration. Just the times made a lot......

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Škoda_Auto

http://en.wikipedia....Tatra_(company)

Just I am not an ad agent for Skoda, just I am really happy for all the folks who realized that Czech is not foolish all the times....

compliments Smiffy

Edited by Kazimir80

I was over in Prague recently on business and our colleagues in CZ do seem to have a lot in common witth us Brits, well at least we are all agreed on giving the Euro a wide berth!

Having previously run a Passat Mk V, the Superb II blows it out of the water for build quality, and the facelift due this year will no doubt fix the issues with the ugly rear lights on the twin-door. I have just driven the new Octy III today and the interior has moved on a notch again IMO, so if the facelift Superb II.5 gets these materials it will be amazing!

Anyway, as my time with the Superb is drawing to an end, I am looking forward to a few years in the new Octy, ordered today :rofl: and this time it's my own money as opted out after 10 years of company cars, this will be my 2nd Octy, as had a Mk I 4x4 the last time I bought my own car and my wife runs an Octy II FL so I think I qualify as another one of Smffy's 'fan boys'.

So to answer the question, Who buys Superb's, the same people who buy Octy's :giggle:

Edited by Matt Pez