Running 2 Stroke Oil in your VRS MK1

Hello just been to tescos and brought some castrol power1 scooter jaso FD which seems to be better and its only 7 quid a litre. Put it in the tank as was in the red and only having about 15miles on the trip computer.

I put about 250ml to 28 litres in my vrs

Will report back when been to work and back later in the week (40mile round trip)

Ant

Hello just been to tescos and brought some castrol power1 scooter jaso FD which seems to be better and its only 7 quid a litre. Put it in the tank as was in the red and only having about 15miles on the trip computer.

I put about 250ml to 28 litres in my vrs

Will report back when been to work and back later in the week (40mile round trip)

Ant

Please note that i have not mentioned that the oil needed to be Jaso FC spec 2 stroke for no reason as if you try and mix a fully synthetic 2 stroke oil with diesel it won't work and may damage you diesel pump etc...

Update...

Just googled the FD spec oil and the only difference is there is a higher percentage of detergents compared to the FC grade so you might be ok. but don't take my word for it....

Please note that i have not mentioned that the oil needed to be Jaso FC spec 2 stroke for no reason as if you try and mix a fully synthetic 2 stroke oil with diesel it won't work and may damage you diesel pump etc...

Update...

Just googled the FD spec oil and the only difference is there is a higher percentage of detergents compared to the FC grade so you might be ok. but don't take my word for it....

I know buddy I google it when I was at tescos and my pal was with me and he's a petrol monster, defo knows his ****. ;)

Someone do a more scientific test please.

Get a sound meter, or maybe just download an App onto a smart phone to measure if there's any difference in noise (and therefore smoothness).

I bet a million pounds that there's no noticeable difference, and it's all in the mind.

Do you know exactly what 2 stroke oil does? It provides cylinder lubrication, hence when you put lean fuel into a two stroke engine it will cease up! Less smoke? dont be a dingbat, your burning the 2 stroke oil what youve added to the fuel, thats why 2 stroke engines are smokey!

Completely pointless, your engine runs in oil why add more to it? plus 2 stroke oil doesnt clean injectors, nearly all 2 strokes are carburetor which use jets, your more likely to block your pump and injectors, redex cleans injectors.

Its all smoke and mirrors...

• Like 1

Someone do a more scientific test please.

Get a sound meter, or maybe just download an App onto a smart phone to measure if there's any difference in noise (and therefore smoothness).

I bet a million pounds that there's no noticeable difference, and it's all in the mind.

A test was done, extracts of which are in the first post. You seriously think using a free smartphone app is going to be more scientific?

Do you know exactly what 2 stroke oil does? It provides cylinder lubrication, hence when you put lean fuel into a two stroke engine it will cease up! Less smoke? dont be a dingbat, your burning the 2 stroke oil what youve added to the fuel, thats why 2 stroke engines are smokey!

Completely pointless, your engine runs in oil why add more to it? plus 2 stroke oil doesnt clean injectors, nearly all 2 strokes are carburetor which use jets, your more likely to block your pump and injectors, redex cleans injectors.

Its all smoke and mirrors...

No smoke in my mirrors bud! Actually there is a bit, but it dumped a load now and again at low revs before using the 2 stroke - big improvement now.

A smartphone app would provide atleast some real data!!!!

At the moment all we have is some blokes off the internet saying how great it is, another myth about mercedes pouring it into their tanks on some endurance test, and other random crap.

I've tried a few bottles of 2stroke - and it's never ever produced any positive gains that I could tell,

no extra mpg - there's a guy a few posts back that's claimed INSTANT MPG increase!

no extra smoothness - it's still a PD diesel at the end of the day.. rough as nuts at idle, but fairly quiet at a gentle cruise. Still noisy at mid-high rpm like all diesel 4cylinders

no less black smoke, still same sort of levels of smoke detectable when booting it at night time

From first hand experience 2stroke doesn't do anything I can tell except make you look like a plank / get strange looks from others whilst you go about pouring some it into your tank at the petrol station.....

The reply that Robbie95 made strikes home as being the most sensible at the moment.

haha 2 stroke oil doesn't stop smoke, its the maddest thing ive ever heard!! The thing is if you burn oil you get smoke, add 2 stroke oil to your fuel, your burning oil. Its not possible to gain any performance from adding cylinder lubricant into your fuel, the way the engine works its getting full engine lubrication so you cant possibly make it better, its ludicrous.

But hey, if you want to stick it in then go ahead.

FYI my brother was a championship mx 125 rider and his carburetor/cylinder would have deposits of 2 stroke oil where it hadn't pulled through or burnt. He rode the cogs off that bike, think while your cruising about town where do you think these deposits are going to end up? Diesel pump and injectors? Plus with 2 stroke oil there are precise measurements needed to mix with fuel you can't chuck it in like millers, double dose, it has to be a set ratio depending how rich and lean you want, thoroughly mixed in a Jerry can or it will just sit at the bottom of the tank.

I'm not going to try to claim I know what this stuff actually does - A lot of people do from the small amount of reading I've done on the subject!

BUT... It has stopped my car occasionally dumping a cloud of smoke whilst pottering about in slow traffic - Embarrassing! For me this has stopped for a cost of £2.25 per 500 miles. So, a cheap fix! Plenty of people have done this for tens of thousands of miles if you read about a bit, so I'm not concerned about any negative effects on the injectors (touch wood).

Joe

Nothing new here . This topic has been debated here and at Freelander 2 forums for about 5 years.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

Those that use it say your engine is less smokey, quieter, more economical and may last longer. Those that dont use it say it has no benefit.

Ive never seen a report from anyone claiming that adding 2T to their DERV damaged their engine.

You choose... simples .

Nothing new here . This topic has been debated here and at Freelander 2 forums for about 5 years.

http://www.freel2.co...m/topic878.html

Those that use it say your engine is less smokey, quieter, more economical and may last longer. Those that dont use it say it has no benefit.

Ive never seen a report from anyone claiming that adding 2T to their DERV damaged their engine.

You choose... simples .

Well put, i can't believe how much negativity there is out there and how many oil experts all of a sudden pop out of nowhere, its good that most of you who have tried this have found benefits along with myself which is great.

Proof of the puddding being though how many peoples exhausts are this clean after four weeks of running at 800 + miles??

Proof of the cleaner burn you get with using two stroke in your diesel...

post-52671-0-34639700-1346850150_thumb.jpg

My tail pipe is no where near as sooty as it usually gets after 300+ miles, and as I mentioned in an earlier post the economy has risen by around 5mpg. I fully expected this to be a load of tosh but I was surprised with the result, early days yet.

"another myth about mercedes pouring it into their tanks on some endurance test", .... excuse me, but this isn't a myth and the point was not that it is a miracle product, but that Mercedes were unsure about the properties of the fuel that they would have to use and chose to make sure of the needed lubrication. This was their insurance. I have to be honest and say that I don't know how much was originally added. It wasn't a race and speed, smoke, mpg etc weren't important only surviving so there is no direct comparison with UK fuels, roads, etc. I'm quite happy to continue using 2stroke as an additive but don't claim it to be more than a lubricant. On the other hand I get over 70mpg from my 162K miles 1.4TDI whilst towing a boat so I don't think that there has been any harm to my engine's potential.

• Like 1

I vaguely recall last time this came up MoggyTech making the point that 2 stroke oil, under the pressure that PD engines inject at, breaks down at a molecular level anyway. . . (and therefore something bad/rules out any benefits happens)

Personally, it's not something I'd bother with (on the RX-8 it was useful though), but it's not my money I'm burning away. :)

Here's the original thread - some proper details in there I think:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/126680-early-results-mixing-2-stroke-oil-into-derv/page__hl__early%20results%20mixing

Edited by TriggerFish

I vaguely recall last time this came up MoggyTech making the point that 2 stroke oil, under the pressure that PD engines inject at, breaks down at a molecular level anyway. . . (and therefore something bad/rules out any benefits happens)

Personally, it's not something I'd bother with (on the RX-8 it was useful though), but it's not my money I'm burning away. :)

Here's the original thread - some proper details in there I think:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/126680-early-results-mixing-2-stroke-oil-into-derv/page__hl__early%20results%20mixing

What I don't understand tho is that engine oil and fuel are separate obviously, it's the engine oil that needs to meet a specific specification for the pd needing to have a high sheer strength I believe. So it's the engine oil that undergoes this pressure, not the fuel, and any old diesel will do for the pd (within reason) so I think that is nonsense IMO. The 2 stroke diffuses into the fuel and goes into the injector as one, no different effect than injecting just fuel. Just my thoughts

The 2 stroke diffuses into the fuel and goes into the injector as one, no different effect than injecting just fuel. Just my thoughts

But in a PD engine the fuel is under MASSIVE pressure (~30,000 PSI) when it's injected which is when the oil breaks down. (Which I think it what you're questioning anyway!)

But in a PD engine the fuel is under MASSIVE pressure (~30,000 PSI) when it's injected which is when the oil breaks down. (Which I think it what you're questioning anyway!)

Yeh yeh but the fuel doesn't need to have a specific quality to withstand that If you know were I'm coming from, the same diesel can be used in a pd as any other diesel car unlike the engine oil.

Yeh yeh but the fuel doesn't need to have a specific quality to withstand that If you know were I'm coming from, the same diesel can be used in a pd as any other diesel car unlike the engine oil.

Yeah, but he's not talking about the engine oil breaking down.

He's saying that the 2 stroke oil is forced through the injectors at the same time as the diesel.

The injectors are designed to handle diesel, not 2 stroke oil.

Yeah, but he's not talking about the engine oil breaking down.

He's saying that the 2 stroke oil is forced through the injectors at the same time as the diesel.

The injectors are designed to handle diesel, not 2 stroke oil.

I know he's not.

And yes they are, If ordinary diesel can handle the pressure through the injectors so can the 2 stroke.

Reply to em1;"Very interesting. How much 2stroke oil do you put when you fill up and which oil do you use? I put 500ml of Comma 2 stroke in with a full tank and add that to my count as fuel (i.e. pump plus 1/2 litre). Car has always been very economical - Now 163.5K and the consumption over that time including winter has never dropped below 70

Could be that diesel is purposely over-engineered and refined to be too strong for non-PD engines (which would be harmless) instead of risking damage to PD engines (of which there are a lot on Britain's roads). Don't forget, if you stick anything random in your tank other than BSEN590 diesel then that's your fault. If the refineries sent out a bad batch of "standard compliant" diesel and that causes problems, then they could be held liable. It's in their interests to keep Britain's motorists on the road and out of their bank accounts, otherwise there could be plenty of cases where drivers filling up with a £60 tank could claim ten times that in engine damage. Not the case for additive manufacturers like Miller, and definitely not the case for something which isn't supposed to be anywhere near a car's fuel tank like 2 stroke oil.