SD Card & Bolero Unit

Expatman

I used to live in Hertfordshire (Watford) but that's not much use really...

This info might be though...

My Mac is a MacBookPro running OSX 10.5.8 (I think) so not the latest or greatest. The SD card is a SanDisk SDHC 8Gb Class 4 card that is only 2 months old and has only been used for music in the Columbus. It was originally formatted to FAT32 on the Mac and has worked without problem. The only way I can connect it to the Mac is with a USB3.0 card reader into the Mac's USB2.0 USB port.

I don't have the extra files that you refer to having after going through the complete process. To me this suggests something is not working / happening quite early in the process.

Is the cd (change directory?) command case sensitive? Does it recognise the fact that my SD card is called 'MUSIC'? Just my random thoughts.

I haven't tried the manual procedure yet, but will do shortly.

Thanks for persisting.

I used to live in Hertfordshire (Watford) but that's not much use really...

This info might be though...

My Mac is a MacBookPro running OSX 10.5.8 (I think) so not the latest or greatest. The SD card is a SanDisk SDHC 8Gb Class 4 card that is only 2 months old and has only been used for music in the Columbus. It was originally formatted to FAT32 on the Mac and has worked without problem. The only way I can connect it to the Mac is with a USB3.0 card reader into the Mac's USB2.0 USB port.

I don't have the extra files that you refer to having after going through the complete process. To me this suggests something is not working / happening quite early in the process.

Is the cd (change directory?) command case sensitive? Does it recognise the fact that my SD card is called 'MUSIC'? Just my random thoughts.

I haven't tried the manual procedure yet, but will do shortly.

Thanks for persisting.

You used to live in Watford... and then came to your senses :giggle:

I'm not beaten yet (but I'm certainly heading that way!) :wall:

To answer your questions out of order:

The cd command is not case sensitive. On a Mac I can only format an SD card with an uppercase name but can type it in lowercase when using the Terminal. Some of the things that are being typed in with the list of commands I've shown are case sensitive but I don't think volume names are. For example, the two SD cards I've been using are named BARNEY and PANY but during all of the testing I've done I've only typed them in as barney and pany.

10.5.x would make that Leopard, circa late 2007 (when I first got into Macs (and never looked back)). The dot_clean command was introduced with Leopard so all of this should work on your Mac.

I've got two thoughts:

Your USB 3.0 card reader isn't being recognised correctly but if you can copy and delete files using the Finder I think we can probably discount this as the problem.

I'm wondering if you haven't got enough admin rights but the Mac isn't telling you so and subsequently ignoring your Terminal commands. Under System Preferences, Users & Groups, check to see if the account you are using has admin rights.

Regardless of what it's telling you (whether you have admin rights or not) open up the Terminal and follow this short set of instructions (specifically tailored for the name of your SD card):

cd /volumes/music (Enter)

sudo rm -dr .* (Enter) - you should be asked for your password here

touch .Trashes (Enter)

ls -a (Enter)

This should return the following:

. .. .Trashes

(plus your music folder)

If you're wondering what sudo is it means 'superuser do' - it puts the Mac in a high administrative state. Even admin users don't normally have this higher level of privileges hence why you have to type in your password. This is generally why the Mac suffers less from virii, worms and trojans as it's hard for this malware to get the level of access needed without your say so.

If you can see the dot, double dot, the .Trashes file and your music folder (and other folders you have created) ONLY follow the rest of the instructions as before. You won't need to put the sudo command on the two find commands for .DS_Store and ._* as the sudo command lasts for a few minutes before being cancelled. If you can see other files now's the time to start screaming as it hasn't worked.

Good luck - I've got my fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this (thought I'd give you a chance to calm down!) - it has just been rather manic around here.

I'm wondering if you haven't got enough admin rights but the Mac isn't telling you so and subsequently ignoring your Terminal commands. Under System Preferences, Users & Groups, check to see if the account you are using has admin rights.

When I go to System Preferences, I don't have Users & Groups, but I do have Accounts. If I go there it states that my account has Admin rights.

cd /volumes/music (Enter)

sudo rm -dr .* (Enter) - you should be asked for your password here

touch .Trashes (Enter)

ls -a (Enter)

This should return the following:

. .. .Trashes

(plus your music folder)

Really sorry - but it returns this:

Last login: Thu Sep 27 20:46:02 on ttys000

MacBookPro:~ karlbungey$ cd /volumes/music

MacBookPro:music karlbungey$ sudo rm -dr .*

rm: "." and ".." may not be removed

MacBookPro:music karlbungey$ touch .Trashes

MacBookPro:music karlbungey$ ls -a

. .. .Trashes Downloads

MacBookPro:music karlbungey$

Ignoring the slight discrepancy between my having a 'Downloads' folder (not that I actually have one on my SD card) showing and you saying it should list something different...

If you can see the dot, double dot, the .Trashes file and your music folder (and other folders you have created) ONLY follow the rest of the instructions as before. You won't need to put the sudo command on the two find commands for .DS_Store and ._* as the sudo command lasts for a few minutes before being cancelled. If you can see other files now's the time to start screaming as it hasn't worked.

I don't have a 'Downloads' folder on the SD card though! The reason I wasn't asked for the password was that I had already tried it and entered the password, but realised that I had missed a line. Therefore the computer was already granted access.

So I carried on following your instructions...

This time there was a slight pause as each instruction was entered which suggests that the card was actually being read to some extent.

They are still there...

Is it because they are in a sub-directory? That's about the only thing I can think of now...

When I put it back into the Windows computer, I can see a '.Spotlight-V100' folder which, although hidden on the PC, is actually visible on the Columbus. I also have a '.Trashes' folder which is hidden and empty. There is also a '._.Trashes' file hidden on there.

I've found a great utility for OSX to eject USB keys/SD cards etc., deleting all the non-Bolero-friendly stuff in the process: http://www.javawa.nl...html.??It's a GPS site, but the principal is the same :)

The link goes to a 404 error on the site.

I know software is available (BlueHarvest seems to be the most popular), but this is about more than just 'getting the job done' now (not that I'm doing much of the technical work) and about principles!

It should work - so why isn't it?

If darrenm2001 has now spontaneously combusted, I'll buy BlueHarvest. If not, lets see what he can come up with. But I am beginning to think that it is something about my setup that is wrong.

If darrenm2001 has now spontaneously combusted, I'll buy BlueHarvest. If not, lets see what he can come up with. But I am beginning to think that it is something about my setup that is wrong.

@KBPhoto why don't you post the SD card to Darren, he can then look at your card and maybe work out what's going wrong.

Still alive and well as I picked up my new Yeti from the dealers on Wednesday! Knowing my Yeti was imminent I followed my own instructions and set up my SD card. Apart from the essential dot files on the card the Amundsen can't see anything else (as the dot underscore files are just not there).

I was going to suggest sending the card to me but vegit8 beat me to it! At least it will give us an opportunity to point a firm finger at where the problem lies. However, I think it might be a problem with your Mac but I wouldn't like to say exactly what.

Please PM me and we'll go from there. I'm happy to help out as it may assist other members in the future.

I have a sort of interest in this thread as I too have an SD card with about 20gb of music on it, all copied from my mac. But I have deleted all the extra files by using a Win based laptop. As I have no car yet I have no idea what will happen when I try to use it!

All my music is on a NAS box as mp3 files so if push comes to shove I can re-do the copy process using the laptop

I have a sort of interest in this thread as I too have an SD card with about 20gb of music on it, all copied from my mac. But I have deleted all the extra files by using a Win based laptop. As I have no car yet I have no idea what will happen when I try to use it!

All my music is on a NAS box as mp3 files so if push comes to shove I can re-do the copy process using the laptop

KB is sending me his card so I'll update this thread once I've received it and taken a gander at the contents.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried that, emptied all trash but the "unseen" files persist, they just keep reappearing! Guess I have to get used to scrolling down through the "greyed" fake MP3 files in each album to get to the playable files.

Next time I visit a friend with a PC I will see if I can delete the unwanted files on that.

Visited friend with PC, loaded SD card but could see no sign of unwanted files!! I am not a PC aficionado so not sure what to do to make the unwanted files visible on the PC so I can delete them - anyone any ideas?

You will need to the PC to 'View hidden files'. I'll check later to see where that is as I can't remember (I rarely use a PC these days).

Thanks - await your findings so |I can get this sorted!

Windows Explorer Win7

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

1. Click to open Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab.
  3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

unquote

Does that help?

Edited by brijo

Beaten to it...

In Win XP go to 'My Computer' > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > 'Show hidden files and folders (radio button in list).

HTH those on older systems.

Tried to reproduce the issue today with my mac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I noticed that the hidden ._ prefixed files do get created, but they only exist during the process of copying:

$ ls -a
. ._1-02 Oxygène, Pt. II.mp3 ._2-02 Oxygène, Pt. VIII.mp3 1-03 Oxygène, Pt. III.mp3 2-03 Oxygène, Pt. IX.mp3
.. ._1-03 Oxygène, Pt. III.mp3 ._2-03 Oxygène, Pt. IX.mp3 1-04 Oxygène, Pt. IV.mp3 2-04 Oxygène, Pt. X.mp3
.Spotlight-V100 ._1-04 Oxygène, Pt. IV.mp3 ._2-04 Oxygène, Pt. X.mp3 1-05 Oxygène, Pt. V.mp3
.Trashes ._1-05 Oxygène, Pt. V.mp3 .fseventsd 1-06 Oxygène, Pt. VI.mp3
._.Trashes ._1-06 Oxygène, Pt. VI.mp3 1-01 Oxygène, Pt. I.mp3 2-01 Oxygène, Pt. VII.mp3
._1-01 Oxygène, Pt. I.mp3 ._2-01 Oxygène, Pt. VII.mp3 1-02 Oxygène, Pt. II.mp3 2-02 Oxygène, Pt. VIII.mp3

After the process finishes there are no ._ files left:

$ ls -a
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
._.Trashes
.fseventsd
1-01 Oxygène, Pt. I.mp3
1-02 Oxygène, Pt. II.mp3
1-03 Oxygène, Pt. III.mp3
1-04 Oxygène, Pt. IV.mp3
1-05 Oxygène, Pt. V.mp3
1-06 Oxygène, Pt. VI.mp3
2-01 Oxygène, Pt. VII.mp3
2-02 Oxygène, Pt. VIII.mp3
2-03 Oxygène, Pt. IX.mp3
2-04 Oxygène, Pt. X.mp3
2-05 Oxygène, Pt. XI.mp3
2-06 Oxygène, Pt. XII.mp3
2-07 Oxygène, Pt. XIII.mp3
2-08 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Dado's Ethnic Remix_(Remixed By F. Dado & R. Gallo Salsotto).mp3
2-09 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Hani's 303 Reprise (Remixed By Hani).mp3
2-10 Oxygène, Pt. X Resistance D Treatment (Remixed By Resistance D).mp3
2-11 Oxygène, Pt. X Apollo 440 Remix Dub (Remixed By Apollo 440).mp3
2-12 Oxygène, Pt. X Transcengenics 1 (Remixed By Loop Guru).mp3
2-13 Oxygène, Pt. X Transcengenics 2 (Remixed By Loop Guru).mp3
2-14 Oxygène, Pt. VII Sash! RMX Single Edit (Remixed By Tokapi).mp3
2-15 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Takkyu Ishino Extended Mix (Remixed By Takkyu Ishino).mp3
2-16 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Sunday Club Radio Edit (Remixed By Sunday Club).mp3
2-17 Oxygène, Pt. X Sash! RMX Maxi Version (Remixed By Tokapi).mp3

Windows Explorer Win7

2. Click the View tab.
  3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

unquote

Does that help?

Thanks - I will try that at first chance I get.

Tried to reproduce the issue today with my mac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I noticed that the hidden ._ prefixed files do get created, but they only exist during the process of copying:

$ ls -a
. ._1-02 Oxygène, Pt. II.mp3 ._2-02 Oxygène, Pt. VIII.mp3 1-03 Oxygène, Pt. III.mp3 2-03 Oxygène, Pt. IX.mp3
.. ._1-03 Oxygène, Pt. III.mp3 ._2-03 Oxygène, Pt. IX.mp3 1-04 Oxygène, Pt. IV.mp3 2-04 Oxygène, Pt. X.mp3
.Spotlight-V100 ._1-04 Oxygène, Pt. IV.mp3 ._2-04 Oxygène, Pt. X.mp3 1-05 Oxygène, Pt. V.mp3
.Trashes ._1-05 Oxygène, Pt. V.mp3 .fseventsd 1-06 Oxygène, Pt. VI.mp3
._.Trashes ._1-06 Oxygène, Pt. VI.mp3 1-01 Oxygène, Pt. I.mp3 2-01 Oxygène, Pt. VII.mp3
._1-01 Oxygène, Pt. I.mp3 ._2-01 Oxygène, Pt. VII.mp3 1-02 Oxygène, Pt. II.mp3 2-02 Oxygène, Pt. VIII.mp3

After the process finishes there are no ._ files left:

$ ls -a
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
._.Trashes
.fseventsd
1-01 Oxygène, Pt. I.mp3
1-02 Oxygène, Pt. II.mp3
1-03 Oxygène, Pt. III.mp3
1-04 Oxygène, Pt. IV.mp3
1-05 Oxygène, Pt. V.mp3
1-06 Oxygène, Pt. VI.mp3
2-01 Oxygène, Pt. VII.mp3
2-02 Oxygène, Pt. VIII.mp3
2-03 Oxygène, Pt. IX.mp3
2-04 Oxygène, Pt. X.mp3
2-05 Oxygène, Pt. XI.mp3
2-06 Oxygène, Pt. XII.mp3
2-07 Oxygène, Pt. XIII.mp3
2-08 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Dado's Ethnic Remix_(Remixed By F. Dado & R. Gallo Salsotto).mp3
2-09 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Hani's 303 Reprise (Remixed By Hani).mp3
2-10 Oxygène, Pt. X Resistance D Treatment (Remixed By Resistance D).mp3
2-11 Oxygène, Pt. X Apollo 440 Remix Dub (Remixed By Apollo 440).mp3
2-12 Oxygène, Pt. X Transcengenics 1 (Remixed By Loop Guru).mp3
2-13 Oxygène, Pt. X Transcengenics 2 (Remixed By Loop Guru).mp3
2-14 Oxygène, Pt. VII Sash! RMX Single Edit (Remixed By Tokapi).mp3
2-15 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Takkyu Ishino Extended Mix (Remixed By Takkyu Ishino).mp3
2-16 Oxygène, Pt. VIII Sunday Club Radio Edit (Remixed By Sunday Club).mp3
2-17 Oxygène, Pt. X Sash! RMX Maxi Version (Remixed By Tokapi).mp3

So when you put the SD card into your Bolero unit do you 'see' any files other than the playable mp3 files? I am running OS 10.4.11. on an old G5 iMac so that could be the difference. I know my computer needs upgrading but I am determined to hold out until a new iMac is released, can't be long now surely!!

On a PC based machine you can use the search facility to find all files that begin ._ if you add a * to the end of the search it will find all files that start like that.

As all of these files are very small, adding an upper size limit will avoid any legitimate folders that happen to have ._ as part of an extended file name.

Then its just a case of selecting all and delete.

search_zps9b77dd72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Windows Explorer Win7

2. Click the View tab.

unquote

Does that help?

Thanks - I eventually had use of a PC today and managed to remove all superfluous files. Mind you it took a lot of fiddling to find "Folder Options" and thus View etc, when I eventually worked it out it only took a few minutes to clean up the Music SD card, now it works a treat in my Bolero unit. Guess it will need cleaning whenever I add more music to the card though!?

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this - was just getting editing some bits and bobs from the SD card in my Superb in preparation for picking up a new Yeti on Friday and I thought I would look at this problem that has been on my jobs list for a while.

All worked perfectly and without any trouble, now have no .trashes directory or any _. files.

thanks again!

As promised, here's how to make your SD card more Bolero/Amundsen+ friendly when using a Mac.

Start the Terminal which can be found at: Applications / Utilities / Terminal

For the purposes of these instructions our SD card is called 'barney'.

Type: cd /volumes/barney (and press Enter). You will see something similar to the following:

[computer name]:BARNEY [username$]

We'll start by removing all of the hidden folders:

Type: rm -dr .* (Enter)

You may get the following message: rm: "." and ".." may not be removed

And: override rwxrwxrwx [username]/staff hidden for ._.Trashes?

Type y and press Enter

You may see the following: rm: ._.Trashes: No such file or directory

Just ignore it.

Now type: touch .Trashes (Enter)

And then: touch .metadata_never_index (Enter)

Followed by: mkdir .fseventsd (Enter)

Finishing with: touch .fseventsd/no_log (Enter)

What you've just done is create a file called .Trashes which stops the trashcan from working on the SD card. The next line stops the Mac from trying to index the SD card (creating all of these hidden files in the first place). We then create a directory which is related to the file system events log. The final bit stops the Mac from actually filling this directory with these log events.

You'll still be left with some detritus. To dump all of the .DS_Store files (you'll find one in every directory) do this:

Type: sudo find /volumes/barney -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \; (Enter)

You will be asked for your login password so type in now and the .DS_Store files will disappear.

Type: sudo find /volumes/barney -name "._*" -depth -exec rm {} \; (Enter)

This line deletes all files that start with a dot underscore. You may be asked to enter your user password again.

Finally we need to use the dot_clean command to remove all of the ._xxxxxx files which is the whole point of this thread. I think the line above deletes them all but use the following command too just to make sure.

Type: dot_clean -mn /volumes/barney (Enter)

Now I couldn't actually find any of these files on my SD card to try this out on but hopefully I've got the syntax of this command right. It can't do any harm if I've got it wrong so don't panic.

Once you've done all of this quit the Terminal.

• 2 months later...

Wow Guys

This all sounds too complicated for me , My new Yeti is only a few weeks away , it will be fitted with Amundsen Sat Nav, I have an Apple mac.

I was thinking all I had to do was buy an SD card and then just copy the cd's out of the mac on to the card job done!!!!, I was going to buy a new Blue Tooth phone is that an easier option for storing music in the car?

I just drag and drop my music from the music folder in iTunes onto the SD card. Mine is a PC based but worked on the Bolero and on the new Columbus.

No, my Bolero doesn't show any extra files besides the files I copy.

Thanks - I have now upgraded to the latest iMac running OS 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) so should be okay to copy mp3 files direct from iTunes to SD card without getting all the superfluous files I got before. Incidentally when you copy mp3 files does the Bolero store them by Album or by individual track? Before I had to make a new folder on the desktop then create a folder for each album within the folder and copy the individual tracks to the album folder, then copy each album folder to the SD card. That way I could see the album names on the Bolero and by selecting the "album" then see the individual tracks.