Automatic dimming exterior mirror

bill2

Automatic dimming exterior mirror

i did not know the superb mirrors did this

Using

Lights and Visibility

The exterior mirrors are dimmed together with the interior mirror. If the automatic

dimming is switched on, the mirror dims

automatically depending on the light

striking the mirror from the rear.

When the interior lights are switched on or the reverse gear is engaged, the mirror

always moves back into the basic position (not dimmed).

Note

?

Automatic mirror dimming operates only properly if the sun screen for the rear

window is not in use or the light striking the rear of the interior rear-view mirror is

not affected by other objects.

?

Do not affix any stickers in front of the light sensor, so that you do not impair

the automatic dimming function or put it out of operation.

?

If you switch off the automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror, also the exterior

mirror dimming is switched off.

?

Well they are supposed to according to the manual...but mine don't. My local dealer's service manager is on the case for me and I have just written to the Skoda UK boss to bring it to his attention. See the other recent posts.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/244938-auto-dimming-mirror/

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243359-auto-dimming-exterior-mirror-problem/

• 4 weeks later...

Any sucess yet? My exterior also does not dim with interior one. Called the dealer but got told it has to be this way. Dont' agree thou as manual says something different. I do understand the car can come with different equipment but it should be logical that if your car is equiped with interior one, exterior is no option...

But in L&K spec there is no "exterior auto dimming mirror", so why Elegance "autodiming rear view mirror" is different.

I checked spec on my Veccy and it says "auto dimming rear view mirror" without being specific if it is only interior/exterior one.

The exterior auto dimming mirrors are a separate option from the interior mirror, just because you have the interior mirror that dims does not mean the external ones are capable of it. If you look the external mirror, the auto dimming mirrors have a thick black border, if your mirrors do not have this then they are standard non dimming mirrors.

You cannot have the external dimming mirrors without the interior one, but it is possible the other way around.

I know they are standard and I don't like it. As I said - in my VX spec I have "rear view auto dimming mirror" and it's both - iterior/exterior.

The same applies to L&K spec - it doesn't state anywhere there is an additional exterior auto dim mirror. That is the problem.

If it was mentioned anywhere in the brochure - auto dim rear view INTERNAL mirror, than yes, you are right. But it wasn't.

The exterior auto dimming mirrors are a separate option from the interior mirror, just because you have the interior mirror that dims does not mean the external ones are capable of it. If you look the external mirror, the auto dimming mirrors have a thick black border, if your mirrors do not have this then they are standard non dimming mirrors.

You cannot have the external dimming mirrors without the interior one, but it is possible the other way around.

Not completely true Mannyo! AFAIK there is no separate option for auto dimming exterior (door) mirrors. It seems that L&K owners get them if they specced the internal mirror but you cannot order them separately. Looking at the photos I have it's not really a black border, but the border is just slightly darker. Looks the same colour as the rest of the glass will turn when the tint is applied by the chemicals in between the glass layers. The other difference is the border between the main surface and the blind spot part. On the normal mirror the border is a solid line and on the dimming version the line is dashed.

I know they are standard and I don't like it. As I said - in my VX spec I have "rear view auto dimming mirror" and it's both - iterior/exterior.

The same applies to L&K spec - it doesn't state anywhere there is an additional exterior auto dim mirror. That is the problem.

If it was mentioned anywhere in the brochure - auto dim rear view INTERNAL mirror, than yes, you are right. But it wasn't.

Agreed and I came from a Vectra C as well although only the drivers door mirror had auto dimming. As the LH door mirror is further away and gives a much smaller image it didn't seem to matter and never caused an issue.

The L&K spec was marketed as an add-on luxury pack to the elegance (my car is MY12) and there was no difference in the brochure ref mirrors...the auto dimming mirror was still an optional item.So why the hell do L&K owners get auto dimming exterior mirrors without asking for them and without paying for them if they specced the auto dimming mirror option. I don't get it and it seems to me that Skoda UK have made a mess of what is available to UK customers because they didn't fully understand the option permutations. Other countries get the door mirrors. They are standard on the elegance in Ireland. Why not in the UK?????

I'm just about to send a second letter off to Skoda. So far they even advised that "according to the factory no Superbs built for the UK market have been fitted with auto dimming exterior mirrors." That plainly isn't true so it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they know what they are doing. We will see.

Are there any other L&K owners out there who specced the auto dimming rear view mirror and have got the dimming door mirrors as well. Please advise if you have. I know of 4 members at the moment, 2 of whom have submitted photos on the forum or privately.

More support would be very welcome.

Rgds.

I have an l and k - registered in Jan 2012 as a dealer demonstrator and I was told the interior auto mirror was the only extra on top of the l and k pack.

I definitely have the exterior auto mirrors

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by iancjc

I have an L&K and didn't spec an auto dimming rear view mirror, but the car came with it on the internal and external mirrors.

If you go to the Skoda website and use the configurator for the L&K, the auto dimming mirror is no longer on the options list.

I have an l and k - registered in Jan 2012 as a dealer demonstrator and I was told the interior auto mirror was the only extra on top of the l and k pack.

I definitely have the exterior auto mirrors

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Not true. I also had the following ordered at the end of December: -

1. Heated windscreen.

2. KESSY.

3. Metallic paint Steel Grey.

4. Rear side air bags.

5. Heated waser nozzles.

6. Hill Hold Control.

7. MDI.

8. Space Saver spare wheel.

9. AutoGlym.

10. 5year warrenty (the only thing that I did not get a discount on).

All at a very good price.

Edited by Danny 57

Not true. I also had the following ordered at the end of December: -

I think perhaps iancjc means that it was the only extra fitted to HIS vehicle over and above the usual L&K pack extras. After all, he didn't spec it as it was a demonstrator?

Danny, do you have the dimming mirrors? In, out? Both?

Any more UK L&K owners out there with auto dimming door mirrors?

I have an L&K and didn't spec an auto dimming rear view mirror, but the car came with it on the internal and external mirrors.

If you go to the Skoda website and use the configurator for the L&K, the auto dimming mirror is no longer on the options list.

It gets better and even more confusing but possibly gives me a better chance of getting the mirrors fitted. You're right Penpusher, but only because (from the Aug12 brochure onwards) the auto dimming rear view mirror is actually standard on the L&K.

In the latest brochure they now seem to be marketing the L&K as a distinct trim option rather than as a luxury pack add-on to the elegance spec. In the description of the "standard equipment (over elegance)" on page 18 they make no mention of auto dimming mirrors. However in the options list on page 23 the auto dimming rear view mirror is listed as standard for the L&K (does not say whether interior or exterior mirrors).

It is also listed as standard equipment in the configurator for the L&K so won't appear in a list of options. It lists "Exterior mirrors: with memory function, automatically dimming, electrically foldable/adjustable/heated", and also lists the interior mirror under a separate item.

It makes Skoda customer services' assertion that no Superbs have been built for the UK market with auto dimming door mirrors a little weak. I've just had another letter from customer services today asking 'do i still need their support and if I do to call them to discuss matters further'. I haven't sent them my follow up letter yet so it'll be an interesting phone later today.

Thanks to the following who have already replied positively about having auto dimming door mirrors, in various posts/topics...

iancjc

Penpusher

Mark S Morley

nczernus

Danny 57

Have I missed anyone?

Calling all L&K owners (especially MY12)....IF YOU HAVE THE AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR FITTED, DO YOU ALSO HAVE EXTERIOR AUTO DIMMING MIRRORS ON THE DOORS???

I think perhaps iancjc means that it was the only extra fitted to HIS vehicle over and above the usual L&K pack extras. After all, he didn't spec it as it was a demonstrator?

Danny, do you have the dimming mirrors? In, out? Both?

Any more UK L&K owners out there with auto dimming door mirrors?

Yes I have internal and external dimming mirrors.