headlight range

Gumby

The headlight range on my vrs doesn't seem to reach very far. In my old 1.2, it would reach aprox 120 yards or so, whereas this only seems to reach about 90 yards (going by the countdown markers on the approach to a roundabout).

my dads yeti on the other hand has a huge headlight reach.

is anyone elses vrs like this or do they need adjusting?

Edited by Gumby

Also alot of people change the blulbs for something brighter aswell.

You should be able to see the screw head that you need to turn, its a slightly diffrent couler from the rest of the headlight section, im sure theres a picture floating about on here of how todo it if my useless description dosnt help

Get Philips extreme or osram night breakers and elevate the headlight by turning the screw on top of the headlight unit and it will be a lot better ,many of these cars come out of the factory with headlamp pointing low ? So adjust it, plenty of threads here and get an easy how too on utube

I agree. The first time I took my vRS out in the dark I couldn't believe how bad the dipped beam was. Changing the bulbs to Philips X-treme and adjusting the beam upwards by one turn or so made a vast improvement. The single bulb main/dipped light unit with a shutter device to dip is not a good design IMO. Probably seen as a cost down by manufacturers.

I agree. The first time I took my vRS out in the dark I couldn't believe how bad the dipped beam was. Changing the bulbs to Philips X-treme and adjusting the beam upwards by one turn or so made a vast improvement. The single bulb main/dipped light unit with a shutter device to dip is not a good design IMO. Probably seen as a cost down by manufacturers.

Yeah, doesn' make sense to me either. I've got the black pack lights and there is a bulb installed for what should be the main beam so why they didn't bother to wire it up i just don't understand

Hmm, just had a look at this, wasn't too obvious to me which bolt I need to adjust. Will take it to a garage I think to get them to adjust properly.

Just wondering, are they set deliberately low due to being combined with the main beam?

^^^

It's the one with plastic Allen head on the top on the light unit. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the owners handbook somewhere.

Thought it might be, but then it looked like they were holding it all together :giggle:

The bulbs I used were Philips X-treme Vision 12V 55W - H7 fitting (12972XVS2). They are fairly easy to fit.

When adjusting the beam angle, it is a good idea to aim the lights at a garage door or wall from a few feet away and mark the top of the dipped beam pattern on the door/wall with a bit of tape for each light. You can then see how much the beam is raised or lowered as you turn the adjusting screw on the top of each light housing. Count and record the number of half turns applied to raise the beam so that you can return to factory setting if necessary. A small amount of vertical rise (half to one turn) makes a worthwhile difference to the length of dipped beam penetration along the road, without dazzling oncoming cars. My beam appeared to have been set unnecessarily short when the car was delivered.

I'll probably go for the Philips ones already mentioned,but what about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-Philips-Diamond-Vision-5000k-Headlight-Car-Bulbs-Blue-Bulbs-/330688782805?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfe9661d5

They are said to be illegal in the UK,not sure why(blue colour?), they are still only 55w,do they actually light up the road any better,or just a chav accessory?

I'll probably go for the Philips ones already mentioned,but what about these?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cfe9661d5

They are said to be illegal in the UK,not sure why(blue colour?), they are still only 55w,do they actually light up the road any better,or just a chav accessory?

There is a legal version called Philips CrystalVision which operate at 4300k . I used them in my Toyota Auris with projector headlamp housing and they were really good. I wonder if anyone could compare these to the X-Treme that PHilips offer?