Superb build Quality

- the minor or stupid one is the filler cap door did not open sometimes some months ago, I usually had to make some attemps to open it. One day I forced it and never failed again. Problem solved.

Well bugger me, someone else with the same minor fault as me, haven't got around to forcing it yet, I find pushing the flap in whilst locking/unlocking with the fob will release and lock it in place, I had thought that it might need forcing to 'reset' the locking mechanism!

Apart from minor niggles like this, I've no real complaints, I've done 4000 miles in 7 weeks with nothing major and a few common faults such as the driver seat memory failure, intermittent nearside dipping mirror when in reverse, auto lights on all the time and can't switch them off, the occasional glitch with the Columbus and a couple of others I can't think of.

It's encouraging to hear that there isn't a common theme for major component failures such as turbo's, final drive, gearboxes, constant suspension wear, brake problems etc.

It's a great car for the money, fast, comfortable, capable, roomy, not too flash, reasonably economic to run, buy and maintain - suits me sir!

I've had my car for just over a year and have covered 25K miles - the only problems are as follows:

• Occasional glovebox rattle (which stops when glovebox is opened then closed)

I get the glovebox rattle too on my MY 2013 Superb. I also got rattle from somewhere behind the speedometer, but lately I haven't noticed it, so it might have just corrected itself. Considering some warranty repairs for the rattles, nevertheless.

Or has anyone figured out a simple way for the glovebox rattle when its closed? It appears to come from the right side of the glovebox, so probably some adhesive foam/tape in a right spot on the plastic right side would fix it.

Other than these very minor issues I'm very happy, love the interior/exterior lights, Amundsen+ navigator, Kessy and overall quietness. Although seats are not as good as I used to have on my dynamic pack Octavia II, I guess it just takes some time to find the right settings for the seat.

Edited by jpalo

I have had mine for 5 months now only done 5600 miles get over 50mpg, over 60 on a run and the only thing that I have noticed ie the shiny front grille (L&K) is starting to peel in two small spots.

Edited by Danny 57

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Elegance 170 4x4 Twindoor for 7 months - 7500miles - over 2000 towing the caravan in Europe - absolutely no problems and 100% delighted so far. Having previously owned Mercs, Volvos and VWs I think this Superb is by far and away te best value EVER!

Very quiete, good economy and tows like a dream - not to mention the huge amount of space. I have occasionally heard a slight rattle in the glove box (as mentioned by others) but only at idling revs. I'm very impressed with the power of the engine - goes like stink!!!!

Havent yet had to return to the dealers so reserve judgement over after-sales service. The Columbas has operated faultlessly and was great to use in Europe.

What more can I say?.......great so far and no reservations after switching from a really good VW Tiguan.

Never thought I would have to record back news again re Superb. Previously had a mark 1 where the cylinder head was warped and gasket failed at 7500 miles. Just bought a Superb 2 elegance 170dsg, water bottle for washers leaking on delivery. 4900 miles now CV joint and driveshaft failed. Dealer didn't provide uplift, delivery or courtesy car - despite Skoda Customer Code saying they do - off road for 1 week (and £170 down on hire cars and had to go back twice to get them to do anything about the failing joint). Seems as if the cars are as poor as ever - certainly the Edinburgh dealers, not naming names, continue to take the michael. Good at technical issues when the blinding obvious is presented but couldn't give a damn about customer service. Skoda get a grip on the Scottish dealers, do what you say on the tin.

Mine went in for the 6th time in 5 months on Monday to have the same set of little niggles looked at including two squeaks/rattles. Skoda UK have gotten involved and provided me with a hire car which is a Peugeot 3008 Diesel. I was expecting it to be awful but despite it having roughly the same mileage as the Skoda (8500 miles) it has no rattles at all, is actually more comfortable and the turn in is much sharper. The seats don't cripple me either.

Downsides would be boot space, space in the back, toys and the steering isn't quite as good and the gearchange not as sharp. Still, I have to say its about 50% better and 50% worse and I never really held Peugeot in very high esteem.

Current list of faults is

Clutch still clicking on uptake when the temperature in the car is fairly warm (ie not on cold days)

Drivers window seems to grind/squeak when going up when its wet (none of the others do)

Mirrors do not fold when the lock button is held down on the key

Rattle from the glovebox area drives me mad

Louder rattle from the back of the car which seems related to the parcel shelf

The seat is still painfull most of the time which Skoda UK have said they cannot do anything about. I actually think I'll have to replace it myself with an alternative VAG seat as I cannot see how I can put up with it long term.

The Nav issue where it would loose signal and wander off by itself still seems to be resolved but my current opinion is that I am 'dissapointed' with the number of build quality issues I have. It just makes the car feel cheap.

Mine went in for the 6th time in 5 months on Monday to have the same set of little niggles looked at including two squeaks/rattles. Skoda UK have gotten involved and provided me with a hire car which is a Peugeot 3008 Diesel. I was expecting it to be awful but despite it having roughly the same mileage as the Skoda (8500 miles) it has no rattles at all, is actually more comfortable and the turn in is much sharper. The seats don't cripple me either.

Downsides would be boot space, space in the back, toys and the steering isn't quite as good and the gearchange not as sharp. Still, I have to say its about 50% better and 50% worse and I never really held Peugeot in very high esteem.

Current list of faults is

Clutch still clicking on uptake when the temperature in the car is fairly warm (ie not on cold days)

Drivers window seems to grind/squeak when going up when its wet (none of the others do)

Mirrors do not fold when the lock button is held down on the key

Rattle from the glovebox area drives me mad

Louder rattle from the back of the car which seems related to the parcel shelf

The seat is still painfull most of the time which Skoda UK have said they cannot do anything about. I actually think I'll have to replace it myself with an alternative VAG seat as I cannot see how I can put up with it long term.

The Nav issue where it would loose signal and wander off by itself still seems to be resolved but my current opinion is that I am 'dissapointed' with the number of build quality issues I have. It just makes the car feel cheap.

Hi, Cremesis. If you do indeed replace your seat, please post details here because I know many of us have the same issue and would appreciate the info.

Regards.

Mike.

Hi I have the same issue with the drivers window , same issue with seats . I've owned audis and BMW all covering on avg 90k yearly with no issues . Have skoda just over a month and had it back to dealer twice . Last visit was told there was nothing they could do with the seat and if they did replace it , it would go the same way again . These problems aren't single issues they have to be quailty issues that skoda don't seem to address . Personally don't think ill be staying with this car long before I head back to Audi again .

I'm the same, my back is killing after a 20 minute drive, as soon as I get out it's fine again.

I'm really hoping they find a fault and can fix it otherwise I'm chopping it in for something else. Will also take my wives car on the work journey to be certain its not my back.

The fact there have been several topics on this would point to an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Sw1

I've not had my car long, mid August, and about 3k miles. There's a rattle from the dash, that I've not asked anyone to look at, so can't complain, in any case I only hear it with the radio off. Otherwise, loving it.

Towing for the first time with it this weekend and expecting a nice relaxed holiday.

Selling just feels like giving up but I guess that would be 'the final solution'.

Been buzying around in the Peugeot today and continue to be impressed by it. Better power delivery than the greenline (despite it also having a 1.6). 6 speed means shorter ratio's whilst still having a long 6th so its better to drive. Feels very solid but lacks the Superb's executive feel.

Just a final post on this, I got a few guys from work to sit in my drivers seat and they agreed that there is a problem, one also had the same back pain after sitting in it for a couple of minutes. Went to then sit in their cars as a direct comparison and it's a world of difference.

I will update everyone after the dealers have had a look at it on Monday/Tuesday.

I will update everyone after the dealers have had a look at it on Monday/Tuesday.

I collected my car only a couple of weeks ago but did 3 trips 2.5hr each and can't complain about the seat. However I've planned a few rather long journeys (~1500 miles one way) and I getting worried... :sweat:

My Superb combi is 16 months old and has done just over 15000. I think its a great drive, quick, good on fuel, 38mpg, and comfortable. I have no problem with the seats although the wife finds the swab a bit long for her legs. Generally build quality is excellent but I do have some concern regarding DSG, slight vibration in 2nd and can run back when reversing up a slope. It does have some electrical gltches, non folding mirrors, a DVD that sometimes operates on its own, auto headlights that sometimes don't work on "see me home"and the ghost passenger seat back. The other day the radio came on when I opened the drivers door. Other than these glitches the car has been fine. The problem is the faults are not consistant and it is not worth going back to the dealer. At the moment I am inclined to change the car prior to the end of the 3 year guarantee although I am not sure what I will replace it with. I wonder if Skoda are getting enough feedback, they certainly don't seem proactive in asking customers what they think.

The other day the radio came on when I opened the drivers door.

Some manufacturers would claim that is a very useful gadget!

The only (minor) issue I have is that sometimes the mirrors don't fold back out - it's only when one particular person at work borrows it. They somehow fold the mirrors in OK but then when I start the car they don't fold out!

i think that is the way it works if you fold the mirrors in using the rotary button on the door and not the key fob.

I assumed its designed to work that way, for example if you have to park in a tight space and put passenger side up against a wall, you can turn mirrors in and in that case you wouldn't want them to auto fold out.

cheers

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just to follow up on a response I put in a couple of weeks ago, had the car into the dealer for the seats not feeling comfortable. Dealer couldn't find any issue with it and the seat structure was fine, I also got a little bit of back pain in the hire car so I've accepted the problem is my back.

I also got my wife to drive and she couldn't feel any discomfort so it must be me.

The superbs firm seats appear to expose my back problem. I think it may be down to me having bad posture, I've been trying not to slouch, this appears to be making it more comfortable. I've also dropped the seat height down

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Sw1

I have had my superb 2 years so far, two faults 1 broken wire caused reverse light to fail done in one visit, front fog light had condensation in it replaced with only 2 visits

sorry ivory leather wearing off on drivers seat. not fixed Skoda said trait of the car not happy about this but area manager said it a know fault.

went for service and they replaced all the badges for me without asking, said they have been told to do so by Skoda

however every thing else works plus they just updated my Sat Nav free of charge only when in for new from wiperblades

Hi,

A small contribution from overhere in DK.

My 2011/Jan S2 combi 170 HP DSG with now 32.000 km on the clock has had the following problems so far:

1. When collected from the dealer the drivers door was scatched. They would like to check up on it. Turned out that a mechanic who had prepared the car had by accident scratched it and forgot to say.

2. When I arrived home the radio (Bolero) went dead (screen had lines in different colors and it was not possible to see what was going on).

3. One week after delivery radio was replaced and door was repainted.

4. In March 11 I complained about rattling from the drivers door caused by the speakers (I have the 10 spk option installed). I went to dealer where it was bought and they claimed nothing could be done. I went to another dealer and he fixed it imediately (there is a service note on it).

5. June 11 l complained about rattling from the passenger door, again caused by the speaker system. Fixed by my new favorite dealer.

6. August 11 I washed off the paint on the newly painted drivers door. I was quite surprised !. Door repainted again by the first dealer - he was responsible.

7. October 11 my aux. heater went dead. Repaired by a heater expert on warranty. A gasket was not tight and water had entered the electronics.

8. April 12 the DSG began to vribrate the car then it shifted from 2 to 3. DSG was recalibrated by the dealer and badges was replaced ??.

9. Aug 12. My Xenon headlights was no longer adjusting itself. Dealer replaced the rear level sensor.

< On 8 Oct 2012 first service was done >

10. Okt 12. During a trip to France the headlight went almost straight up in the air. Skoda mobillity (Don't know what it is called in UK) would not deal with it, because the car was still able to drive. Had to drive 1300 km with very wrong headlight. I think 500 cars flashed the high beam at me. At home dealer could not give a time schedule for fixing it. Went mad and took it to a independent. Guess what, the sensor Skoda replaced in august was mounted wrong ! So when load was placed in the trunk it adjusted the headlight more up (should be down).

11. Okt 12. Called the dealer today and explained him what was wrong and their fault was now fixed by an independant. Okay he said - I give you a discount on your invoice, because we mounted it wrong of about 10 to 15 £. What invoice, I said ?? Well he said, the sensor we replaced in august was analyzed by Skoda and they claim you have destroyed it by yourself ....... I almost went balistic ....

My conclusion until now: Car is great, only small problems. The main problems I have strugled with is mostly due to dealer incompetence and obvious Skoda has absolutely no experience in how to make great sound in a car.

I have driven Ford some years ago and that dealership / workshops are even worse here in DK. Had a VW Passat after the Ford, it was the same as Skoda. Great car - dealership / workshop hopeless ...

Edited by i-s

Regarding your Sound System problems: Since MJ2012 all these rattling problems (already present at low volume bass) have been solved. And I'm happy to have such a MJ2012 S2C. And I think the sound is very good. Maybe not Bose level, but very good for a car. I can recommend the Sound System to everyone.

Regarding your Sound System problems: Since MJ2012 all these rattling problems (already present at low volume bass) have been solved. And I'm happy to have such a MJ2012 S2C. And I think the sound is very good. Maybe not Bose level, but very good for a car. I can recommend the Sound System to everyone.

Ok I see. But Bose is low end, not very good for comparison. The only thing Bose is really good at is advertising and claiming high-end.

• Like 1

I had a Bose system in my previous E Class and it was 10 times better than the premium Superb sound system, for a factory installed system its fantastic