Problems starting a 1.9L Felicia 1997

Hi everyone,

I have recently been unable to start my Felicia. The engine turns over fine, but it just doesn't start. It was last like this around December time (i live in London) when the temp was very cold, but now its around 15 deg c and I'm having problems again.

I have a feeling it might be my battery because I can only try to start my engine about 3 times (by trying the engine over for about 5 secs each time) before my battery is flat.I then have to charge my battery inside my house for a few hours before trying again.

Could it be something else? The yellow coil light comes on as normal (goes away after a few seconds)

This is my battery,

http://boschcarbatteries.co.uk/index.php/varta-black-063-battery-a17-1.html

is it even powerful enough for a 1.9D ?

Edited by Davros28

glow plugs may have seen better days! (cheap and easy to replace, although a bit fiddly)

when coil light goes out, dont try to start it straightaway - wait aprox 10 secs and you should hear the "glowplug" relay click out - then start it.

of course, if your battery is knackered it wont help!

that battery you have a link to is not up to scratch for a 1.9d, you need one with a lot more "cca"

Edited by tibsy

The battery should be turning the engine at about 260rpm on the starter motor.

The right battery in good condition will keep this up for several minutes (which can start a car with a FUBAR glowplug control box at -10C. DAMHIKT!!)

These engines will NOT start with dead glow plugs. Check that the glow plugs are getting power, and if they are then check that they are OK. As said above, they are cheap enough to replace, if a bit fiddly. You can do them without removing the injector pipes if you have a couple of (12mm?) spanners with the right cranking on them. If the glow plugs are OK then you will of course still need a decent battery and the starter to be OK to get it going...

• 3 months later...

Just been trying to replace my plugs but I can't reach them with all the injector plumbing intact. Is there a trick to it? I can get a small spanner to them and can loosen the connectors but can't get a finger to them to remove them and don't know how I'd get them back on if I did.

I don't think I can get enough clearance to get anything on them with enough torque to remove the plugs themselves - I managed a ring spanner on the easy one on the right as you look from the front of the car but it didn't want to shift.

Mine sounds like it's only firing on two or three when trying to start from cold but smooths out once running.

I managed to change mine with standard combi spanner and lot of swearing! I recon a ratchet spanner would make this job much easier. I have since bought a set, which I shall defo use them next time I do my plugs.

Ratchet spanners and a magnet, sounds like a plan. My combi spanners are cheep rubbish and need replacement, all my good stuff is imperial so doesn't get used any more and my socket set is way too big for the space. As are my paws:(

Taking the injector pipes off did cross my mind but Haynes reckons they hold a dangerous amount of pressure. Besides, I'd worry about dirt getting in.