Cleaning products for a novice

themul

Lambs wool mitt, and two buckets with grit guards.

The rest is a matter of opinion. If you stick with the big names you can't go wrong really.

Hi,

I would like to get some cleaning products for my new vrs that has been ordered and would like some suggestions for some products to clean the inside and outside of the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ps Not to expensive please.

Drive to car wash. Hand over money. Sit in car for a bit. Drive home. Sorted. Dont waste the only life you have cleaning a bloody car that will only get dirty straight away. Unless you have a ferrari or similar, a car is a tool. Tools are to be used not cleaned. The car gets you to where you need or want to be therefore the car is a means to an end nothing more. I would rather enjoy what happens at the end of the journey than the journey itself.

If you have a **** hot car and take it to track days or enjoy showing it then fine but seeing as were on a skoda forum then predominatntly our cars are basic tools, no more.

Makes me laugh when people speak about "claying" there car. Get a life.

I have a local retired bodyshop guy who charges £12 an hour and can have you car loooking brand new for a lot less than years worth of car care products when trade in time comes.

Your car doesnt need to be clean for you to enjoy it.

• Like 1

I would hate to be buying your car after that.

Also

Having a dirty car is the same as wearing dirty clothes all the time..

Not for me I am afraid.

I would hate to be buying your car after that.

Also

Having a dirty car is the same as wearing dirty clothes all the time..

Not for me I am afraid.

My last car was in 1st class condition. Good polish and buff up before selling it. Modern paints etc dont need more than that.

You change your clothes to be hygenic. Not the same as a car. Doesnt make one bit of difference if car is clean or not. Unless you have some undesirable things in the footwell.

Rarely cleaned my last car and had it for 2 and a half years. Dealer said it was well above average condition when he viewed it. Ultimately a few paint swirls etc will not affect you cars value much. Mechanical condition and service history and mileage are key here. A very tatty car can be made too look stunning again very easily.

People clean their cars because they want to not because the car needs it. I personaly have many other things i would rather do than waste time cleaning flippin car. If you cant think of anything better to do then thats up to you but i can give you some ideas if you like.

Not for me. I hate having a dirty car inside or out. Having a little one I don't have much free tiem and the car is never getting washed as often as I'd like.

I spend a lot of money on my car and I want it too look good for as long as possible.

Even mys first car which was an ugly slow Astra Mk2 was regularly washed and polished.

It's a personality thing I suppose. SWMBO is happy drive about in a car that looks like a tramp lives in it.

• Like 1

Not for me. I hate having a dirty car inside or out. Having a little one I don't have much free tiem and the car is never getting washed as often as I'd like.

I spend a lot of money on my car and I want it too look good for as long as possible.

Even mys first car which was an ugly slow Astra Mk2 was regularly washed and polished.

It's a personality thing I suppose. SWMBO is happy drive about in a car that looks like a tramp lives in it.

I remember seeing a Ferrari F40 years ago in Edinburgh just after they first came out. It was parked up and was filthy. Peered in the window and there was coke cans and sweety wrappers lying all over the place. Owner didnt give a toss. I thought that made it even cooler than if it was clean. Imagine being so rich that you dont give a toss about the most desirable and expensive car available at that moment in time. Now thats cool.

Do you think Bond cleans his Aston then spends hours claying it? No he away boffing some bit of totty and kicking a terrorist in the face.

Who would you rather be? Bond or some anal car detailing freak?

Think thats a pretty fair analogy. :)

My last car was in 1st class condition. Good polish and buff up before selling it. Modern paints etc dont need more than that.

You change your clothes to be hygenic. Not the same as a car. Doesnt make one bit of difference if car is clean or not. Unless you have some undesirable things in the footwell.

Rarely cleaned my last car and had it for 2 and a half years. Dealer said it was well above average condition when he viewed it. Ultimately a few paint swirls etc will not affect you cars value much. Mechanical condition and service history and mileage are key here. A very tatty car can be made too look stunning again very easily.

People clean their cars because they want to not because the car needs it. I personaly have many other things i would rather do than waste time cleaning flippin car. If you cant think of anything better to do then thats up to you but i can give you some ideas if you like.

Well if driving around in a filthy car floats your boat then so be it.

Apparently this is not what the OP wants so basically your post was a waste of time. Maybe you have nothing better to do with your time?

If you need a few hints I can offer you some :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by vectra1

Well if driving around in a filthy car floats your boat then so be it.

Apparently this is not what the OP wants so basically your post was a waste of time. Maybe you have nothing better to do with your time?

If you need a few hints I can offer you some :rofl: :rofl:

I actually suggested using a car wash. Doh. Better luck next time.

I actually suggested using a car wash. Doh. Better luck next time.

Car wash does not make for a clean car.. DOH.. Better luck next time.

@ Mod's. sorry for going off topic.

Just some decent car wash and a wash mitt.

All this waxing is a waste of time and if you do it wrong you are likely to scratch the paintwork.

There's little point applying sub micron layers of 'protective' product to paintwork, it'll be fine without it.

My neighbour has a P reg civic that he rarely washes and never waxes and the paintwork is in fantastic condition when clean.

Car wash does not make for a clean car.. DOH.. Better luck next time.

Car wash does not clean your car?? Are you sure about that. Better call trading standards. And stop repeating everything i say. Thats what my 4yr old niece and 6 yr old nephew do i.e childish.

All this waxing is a waste of time and if you do it wrong you are likely to scratch the paintwork.

There's little point applying sub micron layers of 'protective' product to paintwork, it'll be fine without it.

My neighbour has a P reg civic that he rarely washes and never waxes and the paintwork is in fantastic condition when clean.

Agreed. A wash mit makes a big difference to a sponge. Probably the best advice you can give IMO. Sponges can wreck the paintwork. My BMW paint looked quite mottled after a couple of years of neglect but a once over with a basic car polish soon sorted that. Looked brand new. No need to do this often. Once a year at most if you want but its not necessary.

I have once paid for a proper valet. This was for my golf when i was trading it in. The boot was in a fair state seeing as i have a dog. Spent £50 and the results were amazing. Traded car in for top dollar. Basically car got sold in perfect condition having been treated like crap by myself since i got it. The valet guy even came to my work in a van. £50 isnt bad to have your cars in immaculate condition after just under 2 years of ownership.

Yes that's important, probably the most important.

I'd say that a decent occasional polish/sealant and then a few layers of wax properly applied makes a difference for protection from salt etc.

For example I do classe (the carlack is the same product) then two or three layers of collenite 476s wax in a single session.

Once I've done that the car is protected for the winter (6 months) and nearly all the dirt/salt washes off in the rain or under a hose.

It's a trade off I agree and things like clay bars have a huge potential to make a right mess of things.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I would just like to say I own another car a ford focus from brand new and in the last 4 years of ownership I have polished the car twice but wash it most weeks and hoover the car out, so I am in no way obsessed with cleaning or polishing my car, all I wanted to ask was about some products that you can use on your car as some members on Briskoda have far more knowledge of theses products that I do and did not start this thread to argue about how many times you polish your car.

• Like 1

Yes that's important, probably the most important.

I'd say that a decent occasional polish/sealant and then a few layers of wax properly applied makes a difference for protection from salt etc.

For example I do classe (the carlack is the same product) then two or three layers of collenite 476s wax in a single session.

Once I've done that the car is protected for the winter and nearly all the dirt/salt washes off in the rain or under a hose.

It's a trade off I agree and things like clay bars have a huge potential to make a right mess of things.

So in your opinion carlack would do the job and would you use the systematic care first and then the long life sealant. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/carlack-sealant-kit/prod_358.html

Agreed. A wash mit makes a big difference to a sponge. Probably the best advice you can give IMO. Sponges can wreck the paintwork. My BMW paint looked quite mottled after a couple of years of neglect but a once over with a basic car polish soon sorted that. Looked brand new. No need to do this often. Once a year at most if you want but its not necessary.

I have once paid for a proper valet. This was for my golf when i was trading it in. The boot was in a fair state seeing as i have a dog. Spent £50 and the results were amazing. Traded car in for top dollar. Basically car got sold in perfect condition having been treated like crap by myself since i got it. The valet guy even came to my work in a van. £50 isnt bad to have your cars in immaculate condition after just under 2 years of ownership.

I will definitely be buying a wash mitt and it is on the top of my list and would you say this is OK for washing your car with. http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=MEG-D11101 or this http://www.meguiars....oo-Conditioner/

Edited by themul

I have a wash mitt at the top of my list and do you think this soap is OK for washing the car. http://www.shinearam...p?id=MEG-D11101 or this http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/191/Gold-Class-Car-Wash-Shampoo-Conditioner/

Edited by themul

So in your opinion carlack would do the job and would you use the systematic care first and then the long life sealant. http://www.cleanyour...t/prod_358.html

I use the all in one cleaner/sealant product, then put layers of collenite on top to provide the long term protection.

You could use the long term sealant on top, but I personally prefer the hard wax for the top coats.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

After years of owning a silver "cleaning not necessary " car, I, or rather the OS, chose an anthracite car. Not as bad as black I would have struck my heels in over that, but it does show the muck.

I got a pressure washer to loosen the agricultural byproducts. A NIlfisk 110 something. RRP is £110 plus, Amazon had one for £44. Bought some snow foam too. Dosen't seem to make much difference, so it'll not get replaced. It does clean out door mat well though.

Like you I asked what was needed and got the same sort of replies from non existent to major obsessive. Heard about the two bucket method, which seemed cheap enough to try as I already had two buckets. I also had a cheap mitt form Aldi, 2 for £2.99 - sponge is a no no aparantely.

A trip to Halfords was required. The prices of "posh stuff can get stratospheric and then there is P&P to add on. So Halfords it is then, cheapest shampoo, carplan £2.99, washing up liguid strips any wax which might just be there allegedly. Next in the basket was some Detail Spray. This was on the recommendation of several professional detailers. I picked the cheapest, in a small spray bottle, another £3.99. Finally a waffle weave towel. Halfords own brand I think, anyway it is blue, so should be good. A chamios leather is an absolute NO NO crime against paint.

I had lots of Autoglym stuff - rather the ex had them, I was not inclined to re-buy stuff I already owned. But she wouldn't ..... well you know how it is, sentimetal value and all that.

So, according to the pros' technique is important.

Anyway, rinse with pressure washer, not to close with lance or you may strip the finish. Like I said I didn't find the snow foam any use at all, just palin water.

Next the wash. Two buckets, one with your suds in, one clean water. You are supposed to buy grit guards. Or not let the mitt go to the bottom, your choice.

Suds a panel. Straight lines, no rings or circles. Rinse a panel. Got that? Yup, not hard eh? If its hot and sunny, I wash off too.

A final rinse, almost done.

Squidge on the Detail Spray, and use the waffle towel to dry the panel. Continue round the car until you realise you did that bit before. Have been following the above regime for a couple of years and no swirl marks. Swirl marks show you up as an amateur.

Use Lidl's fine glass cleaner on the, er, glass, spray on wipe off with kitchen towel.

Use the waffel towe to wipe the door jams and then rinse it out to wipe over the dash and trim. Some Aldi leather wipes work well on the leather seats.

I like to Rain-ex the screen.

I have just finished an ancient ArmourAll tyre spray, not sure what I use next time.

So far I haven't wax or polished or clayed or sealed the painwork. It looks good to me so far. My previous Octavia, from showroom to scrapheap, elapsed time 11 1/2 years still looked good on far less attention. It was cleaned regularly. Every year whether it needed it or not.

And its not because I don't know any better, I had responsibility for the care and appearance of showrooms full of vehicles. Posh ones too.

If its your hobby, fine spend loads, invest your time and energy into making your car eligible for Pebble Beach. But for keeping your car looking nice and clean with a sensible amount of investment (lots of other uses for the pressure washer BTW) it does the job.

One day I may get that Autoglym stuff back....

• Like 3

Jockdooshbag

Why post in this section if all you are going to do is slag off anyone who doesnt share your opinions on car cleaning?

Do you know what a 'Troll' is?

Youre a Troll!

Try posting something useful in another section

OR

Dont post at all!!

• Like 2

Why oh why do these requests for advice on how to keep a car clean always end up in this rubbish about 'not bothering' 'polish car wash' 'better things to do' etc etc etc!!!

We are all different, some things in life that I enjoy others would think are boring etc and vice versa, we are all entitled to our views an opinions, I enjoy spending a couple hours each week giving the car a once over as I like to use a clean and tidy car, but I accept some people cant be bothered!

But these threads where people are trying to be helpful just always end up with pages or arguing about rubbish!

And for what its worth, just get one product to finish your car with, Gtechniq C2 its a 100ml bottle after you have washed your car etc use approx 40% of the bottle to protect your paintwork, wheels and can also be used on the windows etc, then every few weeks dilute about 10ml with about 100ml of water and repeat the same routine to top up the protection on teh paint, its a great product and has made many of my other waxes, sealents etc redundant as its so versatile!

Car wash does not clean your car?? Are you sure about that. Better call trading standards. And stop repeating everything i say. Thats what my 4yr old niece and 6 yr old nephew do i.e childish.

So you are old enough to have a 4yr old niece and 6 yr old nephew, yet you cannot seem to understand the purpose of this thread?

Maybe you should get your niece or nephew to explain it to you as you are totally off topic.

Jockdooshbag

Why post in this section if all you are going to do is slag off anyone who doesnt share your opinions on car cleaning?

Do you know what a 'Troll' is?

Youre a Troll!

Try posting something useful in another section

OR

Dont post at all!!

LMAO. Jog on mate. I advised on using a car wash and then expressed what my preferences were. If you dont like other opinions maybe you should go visit another section. My opinion is that car detailing is a ridiculous pass time. I am entitled to this opinion as are you to yours. Pretty pointless having a forum if everyone had the same opinion.

TROLL. I couldnt be LMAO any more at that comment. Lame.

After years of owning a silver "cleaning not necessary " car, I, or rather the OS, chose an anthracite car. Not as bad as black I would have struck my heels in over that, but it does show the muck.

I got a pressure washer to loosen the agricultural byproducts. A NIlfisk 110 something. RRP is £110 plus, Amazon had one for £44. Bought some snow foam too. Dosen't seem to make much difference, so it'll not get replaced. It does clean out door mat well though.

Like you I asked what was needed and got the same sort of replies from non existent to major obsessive. Heard about the two bucket method, which seemed cheap enough to try as I already had two buckets. I also had a cheap mitt form Aldi, 2 for £2.99 - sponge is a no no aparantely.

A trip to Halfords was required. The prices of "posh stuff can get stratospheric and then there is P&P to add on. So Halfords it is then, cheapest shampoo, carplan £2.99, washing up liguid strips any wax which might just be there allegedly. Next in the basket was some Detail Spray. This was on the recommendation of several professional detailers. I picked the cheapest, in a small spray bottle, another £3.99. Finally a waffle weave towel. Halfords own brand I think, anyway it is blue, so should be good. A chamios leather is an absolute NO NO crime against paint.

I had lots of Autoglym stuff - rather the ex had them, I was not inclined to re-buy stuff I already owned. But she wouldn't ..... well you know how it is, sentimetal value and all that.

So, according to the pros' technique is important.

Anyway, rinse with pressure washer, not to close with lance or you may strip the finish. Like I said I didn't find the snow foam any use at all, just palin water.

Next the wash. Two buckets, one with your suds in, one clean water. You are supposed to buy grit guards. Or not let the mitt go to the bottom, your choice.

Suds a panel. Straight lines, no rings or circles. Rinse a panel. Got that? Yup, not hard eh? If its hot and sunny, I wash off too.

A final rinse, almost done.

Squidge on the Detail Spray, and use the waffle towel to dry the panel. Continue round the car until you realise you did that bit before. Have been following the above regime for a couple of years and no swirl marks. Swirl marks show you up as an amateur.

Use Lidl's fine glass cleaner on the, er, glass, spray on wipe off with kitchen towel.

Use the waffel towe to wipe the door jams and then rinse it out to wipe over the dash and trim. Some Aldi leather wipes work well on the leather seats.

I like to Rain-ex the screen.

I have just finished an ancient ArmourAll tyre spray, not sure what I use next time.

So far I haven't wax or polished or clayed or sealed the painwork. It looks good to me so far. My previous Octavia, from showroom to scrapheap, elapsed time 11 1/2 years still looked good on far less attention. It was cleaned regularly. Every year whether it needed it or not.

And its not because I don't know any better, I had responsibility for the care and appearance of showrooms full of vehicles. Posh ones too.

If its your hobby, fine spend loads, invest your time and energy into making your car eligible for Pebble Beach. But for keeping your car looking nice and clean with a sensible amount of investment (lots of other uses for the pressure washer BTW) it does the job.

One day I may get that Autoglym stuff back....

Very sensible simple advice ^

I have heard about that 2 bucket tecnique also. That and a mit are invaluable. Despite what people think my car isnt a stinking mess i just prefer to utiulise jet washes and car washes which frees up my time for other pursuits. You dont win anything for having a clean car but if you take pride in it then thats your choice. Having a partner a dog and a baby i dont really feel wasting valuable hours cleaning a car for no material gain is time well spent especially as after one trip up the road the car is manky again.

Far too many members on this forum getting all excited about raging arguments on threads???? I cant see one. Merely differing opinions. I would hate to see how you react in a real crisis if you get this excited on a forum.

OP - it depends what you want from your car. 1) concourse showing condition. 2) Acceptably clean and presentable. The latter requires 2 buckets a mit and a wee brush thing for the wheels or a couple of quid at the car wash / jet wash.

Please no more posts about trolling or arguing as neither are occuring here merely in your head.

LMAO. Jog on mate. I advised on using a car wash and then expressed what my preferences were. If you dont like other opinions maybe you should go visit another section. My opinion is that car detailing is a ridiculous pass time. I am entitled to this opinion as are you to yours. Pretty pointless having a forum if everyone had the same opinion.

TROLL. I couldnt be LMAO any more at that comment. Lame.

So why post at all?

Hes asking for advice...Not wanting to know who doesnt give a toss!!

Its Trolling...Simple!

• Like 2