What have you discovered?

MickA

Ok as the topic suggests "What have you discovered on your Citigo"

Today after picking it up yesterday I discovered....

I have a locking petrol cap behind the flap.

The rear wiper operates when in reverse if the front wipers are on.

The indicators flash once when closing the tail gate, that's if you've opened the boot only with the rest of the car locked.

And daytime running lights, says you can cancel these by pulling a fuse. Anyone tried this?

I sure there's loads more I'll discover, and yes I have read the manual but it's a bit like basic stuff and you get a bit yeah, yeah I know after a while.

Mick

I've discovered what a great little car Skoda have made for a sensible price.

I can't believe how good it actually is, considering you could buy two for the price of my Yeti and still have change!

• Like 1

When the fuel in the tank gets down to the top of the red and the icon lights up on the dash, the PID asks you if you want to go to a petrol station, Yes or No.

If you push yes it plots a sat-nav course to the nearest fuel station.

And I wasn't even using the sat-nav at the time, I had the fuel figures on display. :D

• Like 1

I've discovered you can adjust the radio volume, speed dependant volume I think they call it.

Also I had no or very feint volume on the sat nav announcement. Couldn't for the life of me adjust the volume even following the distructions.

All sorted now, I had to reset the unit which brought up the volume of the sat nav. Strange though as the sat nav volume would work off the stalk, not connected to the car.

Mick

I have discovered that if the wipers are on "normal" speed (not intermittent) and you stop the car, the wipers slow to intermittent - and then go back to normal when you pull off again!

How cool is that?

That is pretty cool

My car has the Convenience Pack fitted, which includes acoustic parking sensors. These are "integrated", so that you are given a graphic display on the PID if it is in place, but you still have the beeping tones if it is not present.

In typical VW Group nannying fashion, when you engage reverse gear, the radio or music playback is muted, presumably to help you concentrate on the job: fair enough, I thought - it's an extra safety feature and probably helps with the insurance grouping, etc.

Except that recently I was lent a Citigo demonstrator which didn't have reversing sensors fitted. The PID wasn't present (the dealer removed it before lending me the car to avoid any "misunderstandings" on return), but the radio still worked of course, and I noticed that in this car, the sound wasn't muted when engaging reverse.

I guess this is saying that if you are so concerned about your reversing skills that you specify parking sensors, then you need all the help you can get, but if you don't believe you need them, then as far as VW/Skoda/SEAT are concerned, you're fine to carry on listening to your favourite sounds as you zoom backwards!!

I really don't get this visual display malarky, but maybe that's because I'm old grey and grumpy!.

When we test drove the yeti it had parking sensors, and the display.

I use mirrors to reverse and whilst I like the sound of the beepers the last thing I want to do is look at the dash.

How would you know, if you were reversing into a space with beepers going, that a person suddenly decided to run past the back of the car.

Plus there can be other obstructions above the line of the sensors that may need to be taken into consideration.

I suppose it gives nervous passengers something to look at.

My concern is that we are all being dumbed down.

People seem to have lost the ability to navigate without the aid of a GPS, the ability to read a map is lost on a whole bunch of people under 30.... /Rant>

I really don't get this visual display malarky, but maybe that's because I'm old grey and grumpy!.

I use mirrors to reverse and whilst I like the sound of the beepers the last thing I want to do is look at the dash.

How would you know, if you were reversing into a space with beepers going, that a person suddenly decided to run past the back of the car.

Plus there can be other obstructions above the line of the sensors that may need to be taken into consideration.

People seem to have lost the ability to navigate without the aid of a GPS, the ability to read a map is lost on a whole bunch of people under 30.... /Rant>

I had front & rear sensors fitted to my Octy because of the poor rear visability, & it being such a large car compared to my previous cars, I dont agree that its dumbing down as this feature is an option & not std, it is a choice.

I personally dont see any real point in having them on a Citygo with it being such a small car, but it boils down to confidence in the car & ability to park, once confident these can be switched off.

I agree about the visual side of it - all you get on the PID screen is a representation of what your ears are telling you, and you would be, shall we say, ill-advised to use your eyes for looking at that rather than looking over your shoulder when reversing: it's no more than a bit of fun, really.

We also have a Nissan with a reversing camera, and that is quite useful for judging that last inch when you are already in a parking space or garage. It also has guidelines on the screen which show you with remarkable accuracy where the car will go at the current steering wheel angle, so it's worth a glance before you start moving in reverse.

I still don't understand why engaging reverse doesn't mute the entertainment sound in all Citigos, though, if it's thought to be a good thing. They all have a reversing light, so there must be a switch in the gearbox, and I thought in these days of CAN bus technology, it would be a simple programming job.

I still don't understand why engaging reverse doesn't mute the entertainment sound in all Citigos, though, if it's thought to be a good thing. They all have a reversing light, so there must be a switch in the gearbox, and I thought in these days of CAN bus technology, it would be a simple programming job.

I believe it's because the music is only silenced so you can hear the bleeps from the sensors, not so you can concentrate.

• Like 2

We also have a Nissan with a reversing camera, and that is quite useful for judging that last inch when you are already in a parking space or garage. It also has guidelines on the screen which show you with remarkable accuracy where the car will go at the current steering wheel angle, so it's worth a glance before you start moving in reverse.

Now the camera is a different animal altogether.

We test drove a ix35 before ordering the yeti, that had a camera for reversing.

On return to the dealer I used just the camera to reverse into space between 2 other cars approaching at 90degrees.

That was impressive, as you say the guidance lines were very accurate.

I've got locking wheel nuts............ and I hate them :wonder:

Afraid they will have to come off.

My last car had them and I couldn't get one off, and the key to them just rounds off, but that was Vauxhall :giggle:

I suppose it all depends whether they've been tightened up by a big hairy ape or not.

Mick

Edited by MickA

There for a pretty simple reason really! Normally of course, you don't look at it while you are reversing, It is there so if you get an unexpected beep from a sensor you can see which sensor is picking up the obstruction.

I use the display when I back into my drive. I need to get in really tight so for the final couple of feet I reverse up to the wall using the display to show me how far away I am.

To answer someone else's "dumbing down" query - the reason the audio is muted when reverse is selected has nothing to do with improved concentration - it is so you can hear the beeps!

I've discovered you can adjust the radio volume, speed dependant volume I think they call it.

Also I had no or very feint volume on the sat nav announcement. Couldn't for the life of me adjust the volume even following the distructions.

All sorted now, I had to reset the unit which brought up the volume of the sat nav. Strange though as the sat nav volume would work off the stalk, not connected to the car.

Mick

Is the speed dependent radio volume automatic or do you have to do something to set it up ? I've done well over a thousand miles now at all sorts of speeds and can't say I've noticed it.