Would you buy a new Octavia VRS...?

I would go for the Octavia for the better value for money side any day. I am starting to look at the Dacia Duster as an alternative to the Yeti as I think it looks better and price is fantastic but for all other aspects it is inferior (get what you pay for I suppose).

True that's why I keep coming back to a Golf R.

Yeah, I'd love one too but the boot is very small - much smaller than a regular golf and that itself is much smaller than an octavia. (plus i don't have thirty grand either!)

If you need any more convincing have a look at a couple of cars on the mk5 board - serial modder "hurdy" has just got an "R" that he's planning to put a loba turbo on, although its already super quick just at stage 1..

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52245.0.html

and a romanian guy "teff" who's modded his R in just about every possible way - recent dyno at 622bhp and 691Nm at Revo stage 4:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21326.0.html

:o

Yeah, I'd love one too but the boot is very small - much smaller than a regular golf and that itself is much smaller than an octavia. (plus i don't have thirty grand either!)

If you need any more convincing have a look at a couple of cars on the mk5 board - serial modder "hurdy" has just got an "R" that he's planning to put a loba turbo on, although its already super quick just at stage 1..

http://www.mk5golfgt...ic,52245.0.html

and a romanian guy "teff" who's modded his R in just about every possible way - recent dyno at 622bhp and 691Nm at Revo stage 4:

http://www.mk5golfgt...ic,21326.0.html

:o

No more convincing required Rob. Just put a deposit on an aforementioned Golf R! Slightly impulsive but life's too short to mess around thinking for too long. I will be paying my Freedom membership to advertise all the bits I am taking off!

I didn't get the best trade offer in but it will cover the outstanding finance so that's the main thing but I may still try to sell privately this week.

Thanks for all the replies folks, clearly it's a decision only we can make, although it's interesting to see other peoples views. We're waiting for settlement figures for the Fabia and the Superb and I need the missus to drive my Superb before we get the cars valued... fingers crossed she'll actually like the DSG and we can just off-load the Fabia - I'm not sure I'm ready to let the Superb go just yet :sweat:

Thanks for all the replies folks, clearly it's a decision only we can make, although it's interesting to see other peoples views. We're waiting for settlement figures for the Fabia and the Superb and I need the missus to drive my Superb before we get the cars valued... fingers crossed she'll actually like the DSG and we can just off-load the Fabia - I'm not sure I'm ready to let the Superb go just yet :sweat:

Maybe you should make an executive decision! :think:

There is no way i would sell a superb with the CR170 engine and a dsg box for a VRS or anything else skoda for that matter. I bought my VRS as it was great value with the vAT deal etc. I love it but i would rather have a superb with the same engine and gearbox. The superb is in the class above but then thats why it costs more.

Changing both cars will cost you money no matter how you manipulate the figures in your head and you may regret the drop in quality coming from a superb. VRS quality is V.Good but superb is well superb.

When is superb being changed? If its not for a while then at leat yours will be current for a bit longer also.

I've had my new Octy vRS DSG for just over a week now and love it. As some others have said, it's one of those things that you just have to take the plunge on when the timing is right for you. Yes there is a new model coming out next year, and so the MkII prices will start to drop, but if everyone always waited for the next big thing, nobody would ever buy anything.

I absolutely love mine, and I can safely say it's the best car I've ever owned (as long as I haven't just jinxed it of course!). I'd say go for it, but look at either a long ownership or PCP (that's how I've got mine) as you get the guaranteed value, as previously mentioned. If your dealer is anything like mine, they will put you on the lowest mileage (5k), but the only time you pay mileage penalties is if you hand the car back at the end and walk away. If you P/X it (either with Skoda or anywhere else) then there is no penalty to pay, so you get lower monthly payments, and no restriction on mileage (although of course the higher mileage at the end of the contract will reduce the value of the car - may affect your next P/X value).

But if they've put you on lowest mileage, then will that not make your GFV skewed? For example if your GFV is £8500 at 5k miles a year but in reality you do 10k miles a year, will you not be struggling to find equity in it for the next deposit?

A bit off topic....Why are you interested in the guaranteed future value?

This number is purely there as an amount that you have to cough up should you wish to keep the car; it has no bearing whatsoever on the actual value of the car (although it is a rough guess at it) at the end of the rental period.

It's a deferred payment upon which you pay interest, nothing else.

A bit off topic....Why are you interested in the guaranteed future value?

This number is purely there as an amount that you have to cough up should you wish to keep the car; it has no bearing whatsoever on the actual value of the car (although it is a rough guess at it) at the end of the rental period.

It's a deferred payment upon which you pay interest, nothing else.

You beat me to it!! The balloon payment at the end of the term is a shade over £9k on my deal, but I don't intend to invoke that as I will be changing the car then anyway. I'm reckoning on about 50k on the clock when I hand the car back, and looking around now I know what a 3 year old vRS with that on it will cost (ok so it will be the previous version of the car by then) and so have worked the figures and it looked good enough for me to sign up. It's horses for courses and you need to look at what you're happy with, but the GFV wasn't a consideration in this one for me.

I'm not sure is the honest answer. I've been using it as a tool really to gauge whether or not I can retain some equity from the car, for my next pcp deal.

I'm now wondering whether to go back to the dealer and re-negotiate.

If your dealer is anything like mine, they will put you on the lowest mileage (5k), but the only time you pay mileage penalties is if you hand the car back at the end and walk away.

They shouldn't really recommend doing that, if you are forced to hand the car back at the end then you could find a large mileage bill. Bear in mind there will be a new model out and your GFV could be pie in the sky by then...I've seen it happen to someone with a 207, GFV of 7.5k, part ex offer 4k. They had to cough up £500 in mileage charges to return the car to Peugeot finance.

Personally, I do the same as you have, but people should understand its a gamble on the cars value.

They shouldn't really recommend doing that, if you are forced to hand the car back at the end then you could find a large mileage bill. Bear in mind there will be a new model out and your GFV could be pie in the sky by then...I've seen it happen to someone with a 207, GFV of 7.5k, part ex offer 4k. They had to cough up £500 in mileage charges to return the car to Peugeot finance.

Personally, I do the same as you have, but people should understand its a gamble on the cars value.

Yep I completely agree. People have to decide if it's the right strategy for them. For me I think the risk was quite well balanced against what I was getting out of it (the car). I'm happy enough that, even with the mileage, I will have the size of deposit that I want for my next car at the end of my PCP. It is another option, and obviously brings the monthly price of the car down compared to financing a loan on it to buy the car outright, but the cost of that lower price is the risk of the value of the car at the end of the term.

No more convincing required Rob. Just put a deposit on an aforementioned Golf R! Slightly impulsive but life's too short to mess around thinking for too long. I will be paying my Freedom membership to advertise all the bits I am taking off!

I didn't get the best trade offer in but it will cover the outstanding finance so that's the main thing but I may still try to sell privately this week.

About time, you've been on about it for long enough!!

Love the golf R, what colour have you gone for?

No more convincing required Rob. Just put a deposit on an aforementioned Golf R! Slightly impulsive but life's too short to mess around thinking for too long.

Awesome! Well done mate - agree life is too short to spend much (any) time messing about. Factory order?

Some great deals out there on Mk6 Golf now with the mk7 so close - my old man just picked up his new Edition 35 last week, got a cracking deal..

The whole point of PCP is that if your car is actually worth less than the GFV then thats tough luck on the garage. Mileage charges are tiny plus if yours is within the limit there is no penalty. Skoda estimate my GFV as £7800 and take this figure off the financed amount of money. If the car is worth £3000 then thats fine as its skoda that take the hit not me. All i would pay is any excess mileage charges which are not a lot plus i based mine on the mileage i actually do so it should be accurate. If the car is worth more than £7800 then the difference is equity i can use as a deposit. The beauty of it is that if you manage to save your own deposit seperately over the term then basically skoda take the hit in depreciation. I think ideally your GFV should be a pesimistic estimate of the cars worth leaving the owner with a deposit for next time but is safe guards the owner from taking a massive penalty if the car is suddenly rendered worthless.

Skoda estimate my GFV as £7800 and take this figure off the financed amount of money.

You still pay interest on it though.

I'm not knocking pcp, just saying the GFV is not what it says on the tin; I.e it is not a guarantee of the cars future value. It's a deferred payment and has little relevance on what the car will be worth.

• Like 1

You still pay interest on it though.

I'm not knocking pcp, just saying the GFV is not what it says on the tin; I.e it is not a guarantee of the cars future value. It's a deferred payment and has little relevance on what the car will be worth.

No you only pay interest on the balance. Im only borrowing the purchase cost less the GFV. Did this on last car also. It actually states borrowed amount on my agreement. Saying that i havent read it that closely so could be wrong. Either way it still safe guards me from the worst of the depreciation if the cars value plumets.

No you only pay interest on the balance. Im only borrowing the purchase cost less the GFV

You're not, check again, you're still financing the full amount of money, just not making repayments on all of it...

Why do you think car manufacturers love pcp so much? You pay more interest...and they know you'll be back in 3 years!

You're not, check again, you're still financing the full amount of money, just not making repayments on all of it...

Why do you think car manufacturers love pcp so much? You pay more interest...and they know you'll be back in 3 years!

Thats why they have big glass doors, to see you coming. Me included. :)

Its still cheap compared to my last car plus getting a loan means you have take take it out for a lot longer and pay the interest on the full amount also so compared to a loan it seems a good deal especially if you want to change your car every few years.

I have one on order. As has been said, you'll not see a vrs as cheap, and its a good size of car which is going to change with the new model. I would also struggle to see exactly how dramatic a difference the new model is going to make over the MK2. As for future value, who cars? it'll be a great car to own and drive :-)

About time, you've been on about it for long enough!!

Love the golf R, what colour have you gone for?

I've always fancied a Golf R or an S4 but my vRS is only 18 months old so I wasn't really planning on changing till next year. In the end I just happened to be looking around on Saturday and this came up.

golfr2_zps3fd6d8a3.jpg

golfr_zps74592c7e.jpg

Awesome! Well done mate - agree life is too short to spend much (any) time messing about. Factory order?

Some great deals out there on Mk6 Golf now with the mk7 so close - my old man just picked up his new Edition 35 last week, got a cracking deal..

It's not a brand new one, I didn't want to be paying that sort of money. I know the Mk7 comes out next year but it's always a while after before the GTi and then R come out.

Edited by Guest