Can you sell a tank of fuel?!

Lew_VRS

Recently my Octavia vRS was rear ended and was written off.. I've got it back last Thursday and completely forgot that it had a full tank with it (Bloody Shell V-Power at that!).. is this something that is saleable.. or does it have to be very carefully disposed of.

Please advise.

Thanks

Tank v power about £80 so sell it cheap £40 is it worth the hassle ?

When I'm splitting the car and removing anything I can to sell half hour removing a fuel tank isn't really hassle.. I don't get paid £80 an hour for sure. :giggle:

When I'm splitting the car and removing anything I can to sell half hour removing a fuel tank isn't really hassle.. I don't get paid £80 an hour for sure. :giggle:

Well if your the one doing the taking out, be careful and take your time , it only takes one spark and it will be guy Fawkes night all over again ;)

Yes, scrap metal places do often drain the fuel and sell it off cheap to earn a few £££ on the side.

I used to know a guy who owned an MOT garage and he ran his car on half price petrol like this.

Be careful though. It's not that explosive as it's in liquid form, but you still need to be aware what you are dealing with.

Yes, scrap metal places do often drain the fuel and sell it off cheap to earn a few £££ on the side.

I used to know a guy who owned an MOT garage and he ran his car on half price petrol like this.

Be careful though. It's not that explosive as it's in liquid form, but you still need to be aware what you are dealing with.

Not that explosive ? Petrol isn't that explosive ? In liquid form ? Sorry boss I'm I missing something ;)

Not that explosive ? Petrol isn't that explosive ? In liquid form ? Sorry boss I'm I missing something ;)

What he means are that the vapours of petrol are far more volatile than petrol as a 'liquid'

Either way I won't be having a B&H in the vicinity :giggle:

• Like 4

Do you not need a license to sell fuel?

A bit like selling alcohol?

You woudn't be allowed to sell your homebrew.

Probably. But you'd also need a license to dispose of it. Or the facility to be able to get 50 litres of explosive fluid to another location in a safe manner for someone else to dispose of it. To my mind, siphoning the fuel out is probably the least dangerous approach, I would certainly have no idea how to transport that amount of fuel to wherever you take these things...

It is difficult to syphon fuel from many tanks now as they are fitted with an anti-syphon device. If the car is scrap the best way is direct through sender unit hole.

And yes, technically you need a licence to sell any fuel.

or you could rig something up and use the cars own fuel pump to suck the fuel out of the tank into the fuel purchasers own. This of course assumes that the tank remains attached to the car with the fuel lines.

Personally I would just try some family / friends / neighbours explain the score and give it to them direct from your car no storage no transportation no possible dramas, if at a later time they decide to give you a gift in the form of some cash maybe they are just very generous people. Only thing I would imagine has already been done is the battery disconnected for obvious reasons.

I echo what has been said above the liquid does not burn only the flammable vapours it gives off.

Remember there are limits on how much fuel you can store at home. Something like, 10l in 2 plastic Jerry cans, or 20l in 2 metal ones.

....., or course you could do what Volomeg suggests above.

Edited by Jim H

Not that explosive ? Petrol isn't that explosive ? In liquid form ? Sorry boss I'm I missing something emoticon-0105-wink.gif

No, it's not, without Oxygen there will be no reaction with an ignition source, by mixing fuel with air it will burn but in doing so you are creating a gas, by it's very nature a decompressed liquid, so without any compression you cannot have an explosion, you can throw a lit cig onto a pool of petrol and it will neither burn nor explode,simply extinguish, flashpoint will be approx 40mm above the surface.

Edited by Lazy Daisy

you can throw a lit match onto a pool of petrol and it will neither burn nor explode,simply extinguish, flashpoint will be approx 40mm above the surface.

Technically a vapour not a gas but what happens as the match passes through the vapour above the liquid though? By that action you guarantee it to provide a source of ignition at its flash point as the match will have to pass through it on its way to the liquid (unless its lower than -43Deg C), diesel on the other hand at under 60 degrees celsius that experiment would work. (I would discourage anyone from attempting this experiment btw)

but what happens as the match passes through the vapour above the liquid though? (I would discourage anyone from attempting this experiment btw)

After many years experimenting SWMBO discovered that after drinking 2 bottles of whiskey topped off with a 3am curry she could produce pavement pizzas that were highly inflammable.

I would discourage anyone from trying this and flicking a lit cigarette butt into the steaming surface.

The resultant explosions would wake the neighbours and produce a thick jalfrezi rain, not too dissimilar to when we lit bangers fitted into cowpats, and almost as smelly.

I would discourage anyone from trying this also.

• Like 1

[sigh] Well, yes of course; and oxygen to breathe and food to eat and light to see by etc. etc. Forgive me, I had foolishly assumed gravity was not going to be a problem.

you never know he may not have space on his driveway for the salvage so will be doing all the work in space

• Like 1