Octavia just died on me! Some quick advise appreciated...

Whilst driving along, the radio suddenly died. I looked down at the dash, and a selection of warning lights had come on (ABS, airbag, etc).

I pulled in, and at this point the engine was still running fine. I thought it might just be a glitch in the electrics, so switched the car off, and tried to switch it back on.

The lights (interior and external) were still working, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I left it for 10 minutes and tried again, this time the radio came back into life, the engine turnover over grudgingly before dying again.

What a people's thoughts? I'm hoping it's just a battery which need replacing.

But what would cause all the warning lights to come on, kill the radio, but still seemingly keep the engine running (it was only about a minute before I killed it though)?

Cheers,

Coops.

This literally just happened, so am headed back to the car shortly.

Going to try and jump start it and get it down the road first.

Will let you know what I find! Cheers.

Right, jump-started without a problem. Drove it for 10 minutes before dropping it into the garage.

They put a meter on terminals, looked fine whilst idling and reving, so just tried switching it off to see if it would happen again.

It just started first time fine.

What we did notice was the fuse box on top the battery was melted in places -- something I've seen mentioned on here before? It also heated up quickly (the black cable), and had a lovely smell of burning plastic!

Would this of been the cause of the troubles this morning?

Thanks for the advice so far.

IMG_20121003_100841.jpg

Yeah; if that box is overheating, you have high resistance in one or more of its terminals or the battery terminals. Take note that in extreme cases it has been known to catch fire!

Yeah the garage mentioned something along these lines. Is there a common cause? I'll be wary about it if there's a fire risk!

Yeah the garage mentioned something along these lines. Is there a common cause? I'll be wary about it if there's a fire risk!

I don't know for sure, but since some people are never bothered by this issue, I'd suspect a poorly made cable termination rather than dirty contacts. OTOH dirty contacts are more easily DIYable.

Check top fuse box on battery.

Sounds like battery flat to me. Get them tested

Right, jump-started without a problem. Drove it for 10 minutes before dropping it into the garage.

They put a meter on terminals, looked fine whilst idling and reving, so just tried switching it off to see if it would happen again.

It just started first time fine.

What we did notice was the fuse box on top the battery was melted in places -- something I've seen mentioned on here before? It also heated up quickly (the black cable), and had a lovely smell of burning plastic!

Would this of been the cause of the troubles this morning?

Thanks for the advice so far.

IMG_20121003_100841.jpg

if the boxes are the same on the vRS as your car is I have one for sale mate?

perfectly working order?

Ill dig it out for you if you like?

billy

that is def the cause.

again not sure why it happens tho as its never happened to mine.

You need to replace the fuse box AND the black cable that goes to the alternator. Failure to replace the wire will make it happen again

The cable corrodes around the crimp area causing high resistance which in turn heats the cable up and melts the fuse box

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone advise on what exactly the ring spade connector with nut attached on the alternator to fuse box cable is called. I have replaced my fuse box and going to strip back cable and put new connectors........................Just don't know the name of them.

Just replaced ring connector ( different from original connector )by stripping back earth cable and crimping on. No heat from cable now. I had a the airbag light staying on.........plugged into diagnostic and reset the fault code. Seems it was the low voltage that caused it.