Wing mirror heater

Another strange thing I have happening is if I adjust my right wing mirror with the knob in the "R" position it also adjusts the left wing mirror. Is there a short somewhere or is it a "Feature"?

Another strange thing I have happening is if I adjust my right wing mirror with the knob in the "R" position it also adjusts the left wing mirror. Is there a short somewhere or is it a "Feature"?

If you set it to 'L' it will only adjust the left mirror though.

Wait wait wait!

I've always been under the impression that the heated mirrors DID operate on a timer, like the rear screen demister, and that the length of time it stayed on for was adjustable with VCDS...

Am sure I read that on here.

• 1 year later...

The off side heated rear view mirror on my Octavia stopped working - didn't even know that the near side one had demist on it either as it hadn't done so since I bought the car, so I guess that isn't working either. However, I asked my local Skoda dealer how much it would be to replace the offside one and they indicated that it was a "big job" at least two hours as they have to remove the door panel first and trace all the wiring. Sounds like a scam to me - although they are probably intending to carry out fault diagnosis as opposed to straight replacement for the heating element. Should I go with them or get the bits and just have a go at replacing it myself? Apart from the heating/demist function the mirrors adjust ok. 

Has anyone any experience replacing the auto dimming mirrors?

Presumably they cost even more than the £50 I've read for the heated ones.

Just the 200 quid each side!! I looked into this recently as a possible mod and gave up on cost grounds. Cheaper used ones occasionally come up on eBay and eBay.de or you could try and find an older pre 2007 L&K at a scrapper.

@adamal

Thanks that's what I thought.

I'm driving a 06 L&K and will be careful in tight gaps.

BTW the glass has the black plastic border I've seen mentioned.

@adamal

Yes ignorance is bliss, now I know their value I feel like I'm driving with my hands out of the windows holding a wad of notes in the breeze!