Drivers wearing earphones?

Coops

As someone who regularly uses earphones in my work van (the radio is broken and also there's not always something on the radio that I want to listen to!) I thought I'd contribute.

The earphones I use (standard iPhone ones) are notoriously bad for blocking out background noise. They are completely different to what I would call the "in ear canal" type which you push right into your ear canal. They make a proper seal with your ear canal and therefore block out so much outside noise. In my opinion, this type of earphone would be much more dangerous as it blocks out so much more noise.

Obviously, looking down at the phone, fiddling with it, dialling a number etc etc, is clearly very dangerous.

However, I'm not convinced that listening to (in my case) an audiobook, podcast, music etc at a level just sufficient to hear is distracting. I don't have it at stupidly loud levels and can hear outside noises just as if the vehicle radio was on.

As someone who regularly uses earphones in my work van (the radio is broken and also there's not always something on the radio that I want to listen to!) I thought I'd contribute.

The earphones I use (standard iPhone ones) are notoriously bad for blocking out background noise. They are completely different to what I would call the "in ear canal" type which you push right into your ear canal. They make a proper seal with your ear canal and therefore block out so much outside noise. In my opinion, this type of earphone would be much more dangerous as it blocks out so much more noise.

Obviously, looking down at the phone, fiddling with it, dialling a number etc etc, is clearly very dangerous.

However, I'm not convinced that listening to (in my case) an audiobook, podcast, music etc at a level just sufficient to hear is distracting. I don't have it at stupidly loud levels and can hear outside noises just as if the vehicle radio was on.

I would stick to one 'phone on only, wearing two is asking for trouble if the rozzers are awake and feeling frisky - one looks like a hands free set-up, so they wont take any notice.

See lots of this in London - I was under the impression it was mostly for the hands free mic function for phoning people. I would much rather that than the countless number actually using their phone in London.

Secondly, I cycle (push-bike) 14 miles a day in London with headphones and they don't cut out any important road noises; or affect my road awareness in any way. Would still say i am significantly safer than most on the road in london because I actually look around me! It's not as bad as those who have their stereo blisteringly loud in my opinion. (Also, my headphones are professionally moulded, 'in-ear canal types')

And the 'using a mobile device whilst driving quote' I would disagree with otherwise Bluetooth earpieces playing music woul also be illegal... Which they aren't... Having a cable between the two can't alter that!

There definitely IS an issue with people who lead to careless driving/cycling/walking/jogging because of mobile device misuse. But there are plenty who are very capable of using them within the law (although I won't go as far as saying 'safely' as clearly driving alone, with no radio/calls etc is ultimately in any argument going to be safest).

The muppets who cycle and drive in London with total disregard to everyone with a phone to their ear really need a kick up the backside - and the police should really do more to stop it!

• Like 2

See lots of this in London - I was under the impression it was mostly for the hands free mic function for phoning people. I would much rather that than the countless number actually using their phone in London.

Secondly, I cycle (push-bike) 14 miles a day in London with headphones and they don't cut out any important road noises; or affect my road awareness in any way. Would still say i am significantly safer than most on the road in london because I actually look around me! It's not as bad as those who have their stereo blisteringly loud in my opinion. (Also, my headphones are professionally moulded, 'in-ear canal types')

And the 'using a mobile device whilst driving quote' I would disagree with otherwise Bluetooth earpieces playing music woul also be illegal... Which they aren't... Having a cable between the two can't alter that!

The "offence" can even been used for playing music in a car through the usual ICE unit, but like many laws, it is badly written and rarely enforced. The Police ignore so many laws it is a joke, although a few of the ones they ignore are a big help to cyclists (flashing rear lights).

Had a **** on a bike come straight across the common, onto the road without looking and then off up the kerb into the local sink estate this morning; coming from the direction of the local drug dealer and hoodie up, so I couldnt see if he had phones on.

Place your best - phones, or high on speed?

(What's in Toby's bag, what's in Toby's bag?. Hash and coke and speed and weed, what's in Toby's bag!!)

proper get some stick for this but don't really see using a mobile whilst driving a big deal, i've tried texting once or twice whilst driving and that certainly is DANGEROUS, but talking on the phone for me personally isn't a big issue, obviously i know i run the risk of the police spotting me, but because my ATTENTION is on the road i will always always see the police car and put the phone down to my waist until i've passed it. it's the same as rolling a fag, eating a sandwich, changing the radio station reaching into the glovebox for a screen wipe etc etc. provided you don't do them on a busy junction or somewhere where alot of concentration is required then i don't see the big deal, no different to talking to the person next to you. your eyes are either on the road or not.

on the subject of ear phones, I personally wouldn't do it as I don't fancy impairing one of my senses but each to there own, cyclists who do it are a little irresponsible in my mind though.

it's all relative though, if someone can get done for using a mobile phone whilst driving but not for changing the radio station and talking to the passenger at the same time then it doesn't seem consistent with what the interpretation of what a driving impairment is.....

Obviously talking on the mobile whilst driving is a risk factor.... but so many things are, we just all judge those risk factors differently.

now someone is going to tell me how terrible and irresponsible i am, and give me some mobile phone accident related statistic....

• Like 1

now someone is going to tell me how terrible and irresponsible i am, and give me some mobile phone accident related statistic....

No, i'm just going to say you are an @rse and typical of the "I now better brigade"

• Like 1

No point debating it - many people speed because they think they are skilled enough... Doesn't stop it being illegal!

You can be pulled over if you are driving without due care whilst changing the radio station. So it is all relative yes - but they simply blanket outlawed that which has a high stat for being dangerous!

Obviously talking on the mobile whilst driving is a risk factor.... but so many things are, we just all judge those risk factors differently.

And part of being a resposible driver, ie 'a grown up', is seeing risks, and reducing them. Not using a mobile whilst driving is just one of them. Yes there are statistics. And dead drivers who may still be here had they not used their mobile whilst driving who also thought 'it wasn't a big issue' As mentioned, what 'an @rse'

Nanny State, Political Correctness gone mad, cotton wrapping everything...

DRIVING IS DANGEROUS. The sooner all realise it the better. Hence while driving you need you wits about you and pay attention.

Me driving along M25 hot summer day at NSL with windows wound down (no A/C) I can hear absolutely nothing, zilch. Dangerous driving I can hear some exclaiming!

Me riding a fast pedal bike down a steep hill - I hear absolutely nothing at 50mph, wind roar drowns all. Suicidal! mollycoddling brigade shouts!

Walking with my squabbling kids in town, who are too busy arguing to look out for anything - criminal level of irresponsible parenting.

Let's make laws regulating all of the above, also how long can I seat in the sun, how long I am allowed to watch the TV for .... Police State anyone?

Look at that link from Slider, first video on the page. I do not think anybody successfully legislated against being a complete brainless idiot and having no self-preservation instincts.

Music in the car? Earphones? Changing radio station, adjusting any other car controls... keep going.

Those in themselves ARE NOT DANGEROUS. It is whether you compensate for it or not. If you are not able to compensate do not do it, ask passenger to change the station or stop. Only YOU can judge it and your subsequent actions will be the proof of it.

Would you say looking in your wing mirrors is all the way up there with the best driving practice. B0110ck$! I know drivers who are not capable of doing it - they simple veer off straight driving line while doing so!

One bloke was stopped on one of the UK motorways while he was chopping vegetables on his dashboard for a salad. As he explained to the officer who stopped him it was for his anniversary dinner he forgot about/was late for due to work.

You cannot legislate against any behaviour which MIGHT POTENTIALLY lead to problems. If you do cause harm while driving with headphones in, while eating an apple or changing station while driving then you obviously are not able to be in full command of the vehicle while performing such actions. Education and better driver training is the answer. Sitting Driving Test in UK is a joke. In Germany it takes three days to pass the driving part of the test, including hours of motorway driving. In UK all you have to do is send a form off and there you go, local roads are yours!

mainly the white iPod type ones whilst driving.

I love how the colour is relevant! I have white earphones - they are sennheiser ones, not apple FYI ;) what about colourful heady candy ones? Are they non offenders? Or black ones? Perhaps you just can't see them lol.

I don't do this as I can listen to absolutely anything through my HU - phones, iPods, SD cards, USB, so really have no need to use earphones. However I agree with a couple of comments that a normal car sound system can drown out noise. I'm sometimes taken by surprise by an ambulance behind that I hadn't heard, and that's not with ear blasting levels. Also - unless they ban deaf people from driving I'm not sure how they can follow this up as an offence?

I do actually do it on my bike though, I plug my near side ear! To be fair though I only pedal down the road to the prom then I'm off road and plug both ears! I find I can ear the traffic with my right ear very well and I look behind me even when moving out slightly around a parked car. I don't do it on longer journeys though.

Edited by Loz

I love how the colour is relevant! I have white earphones - they are sennheiser ones, not apple FYI ;) what about colourful heady candy ones? Are they non offenders? Or black ones? Perhaps you just can't see them lol.

Careful there! That comment my constitute a racist offence :D