I have been running with the Seat EGR reducer gasket (Part from Seat dealer 028131547B) for several hundred miles now and found the following for your info:

• Engine drives a lot smoother, throttle response is more refined and less jerky coming on and off the throttle at slow speeds.

• Engine still gets up to temperature quickly, no noticable difference yet. See how it goes over the winter.

• Power seems unchanged.

• The 'miss / hessitation' at motorway speeds when coming on an off the throttle seems to have disappeared now. Used to happen once or twice and normally when going up a slight incline.

• Smoke from the exhaust seems unchanged, no less, no more.

• No error lights on the dash

• Engine seems quieter when cruising

• MPG has gone down! I have lost around 2 MPG it seems. This is apparently expected from what I have seen:

"EGR improves fuel economy by reducing suction throttling loss and reducing engine compression and reducing engine displacement"

"EGR will partially fill the cylinder, so you simply have to supply less air (and fuel) from the intake side"

"Theory behind it is the recirculated exhaust gas is very low on oxygen and takes the place of normal air in the cylinders.

Since you have less oxygen in the cylinders you require less fuel, therefore you save a slight amount of fuel at idle and light throttle applications where the EGR is active"

On a side note, I also tried venting the crank case pipe to atmosphere for a while and this increased MPG by at least 2 mpg. I did this independently of the EGR reducer gasket.

Downsides were: it stank! Also smoke coming from under the bonnet and car looked a little suss :D

Interesting to see quite a bit of what appeared like dirty water collected in my make shift catch can. Perhaps it was just condensation from the hotish steam being vented down the pipe.

Edited by Plantman

Just curious, after removing the EGR or blanking it, the light comes on as a warning, just as a matter of interest could the warning light be turned off just by putting a jump wire across the wiring terminals, just like you can with the break pad warning to keep that off