Good brake pads for performance what do people recommend?

ajs_vrs

Whilst fitting the coilovers noticed that the bloody pads had shifted in the caliper, so i guess the backing has come off.

Explains why the braking aint brilliant LOL.

Can anyone recommend any good pads to use on standard discs?

Without squeal and a short life?

Will they actually improve the braking, in what way?

I'm looking for a better bite and shorter stopping distances short of buying upgraded brakes if possible.

Cheers

FERODO DS2500 is what I use good pad low dust and last alright to be honest :)

From what I've heard, they are very good when hot, not so good (and noisy) when cold and are technically not road legal due to no E markings. They do state on the box 'For track use only'.

I'd go for Mintex or Ferodo performance pads. If not, I'm happy with the EBC stuff I use.

From what I've heard, they are very good when hot, not so good (and noisy) when cold and are technically not road legal due to no E markings. They do state on the box 'For track use only'.

I'd go for Mintex or Ferodo performance pads. If not, I'm happy with the EBC stuff I use.

they're not as good cold as they are hot, but I've never found them lacking. they are not road legal because they fall outside of the +/-115% of OEM performance (that percentage may be wrong)

ive got yellow stuff pads on mine which are good, works perfect when cold and even better when hot.

ive got a mate who has ferodo ds2500 on his type R and the dust ruined the side of his car because it was so harsh!

over priced aswel!

yellow stuff are pretty well priced

I've often wondered if some Furbys 1(and not the Hot ones) needed uprated discs .But since replacing my pads for those recomended by my local supplier, I'v had no fade problems. Can't say what they were, been in there for approx 15 K , with no problems. But thing I've seen on MOT stuff from day one is coments by tester that discs(no mention of whether it's pads/discs) are "worn".But as said , I trust my local man,and mine is not hotted, but enough to make boy racers worry. Times I wonder if the 75 on the "box" means someone had "visual " problems .

ive got yellow stuff pads on mine which are good, works perfect when cold and even better when hot.

ive got a mate who has ferodo ds2500 on his type R and the dust ruined the side of his car because it was so harsh!

over priced aswel!

yellow stuff are pretty well priced

Highly recommend those! Your brakes were absolutely mental!!

Green stuff - Low dust my arse, Found they faded really easy... on a AstraVan! also Over priced IMHO

Red stuff pads - They De-laminated on my BMW M3 - Scary!

Also fitted some EBC drilled and grooved front discs to my mates GTI6 and they cracked within 6 months

Hence vowing never to use ebc again!

Adam

Green stuff - Low dust my arse, Found they faded really easy... on a AstraVan! also Over priced IMHO

Red stuff pads - They De-laminated on my BMW M3 - Scary!

Also fitted some EBC drilled and grooved front discs to my mates GTI6 and they cracked within 6 months

Hence vowing never to use ebc again!

Adam

Depends what you mean by 'cracked' as a lot of drilled discs get this appearance after a while.

Greenstuff are notoriously crap as are redstuff's.

I had yellowstuff's on my old hybrid turbo Ibiza and they were brilliant with EBC ultimax grooved discs, stood up to trackdays very well too, and now run them on my type r.

I have heard of EBC's delaminating but I think they had a bad batch - I've certainly never had a bad experience.

EBC discs are not drilled, they are dimpled which should not crack. If your mate had drilled ones, they were not made by EBC.

I've said many times on here, we've used EBC stuff on all our cars and had no problems stopping. My Father uses Redstuf Ceramic pads and has had those TGD dimpled and grooved discs.on his Scoobie. The only problem with the discs was they were noisy under braking. Both him and I have the slotted ones which are much better.

We have had OEM Skoda (Pagid) pads that have started to de-laminate, so buy aftermarket ones instead.

Edited by Jim H